The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Real estate investing in California...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
... is like playing Russian Roulette in the Hanoi Hilton during the Vietnam war.

(Sorry, I didn't read the article as I refuse to pay Apple a fee for news propaganda, but I'm guessing Cali's horrible landlord laws allows this to happen.)

IMG_2985.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Those of us living in Western Europe will be very familiar with that kind of stories.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Truly tragic that this is happening.

Then again, this is negativity bias and all the cases where people are rightfully evicted within a week don't become news articles.

I avoid news for this reason. To me the world is a beautiful place I can help make better instead of a hell hole full of wokeism and people like this.

collected

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 22, 2015
I don't see enough real estate articles/investors talking about this. This can be a HUGE issue if you have few properties or are cash flow constrained. Something to be wary of when living in a region where the laws or politicians are against landlords. Many landlords got taken to the cleaners during C0VlD-19 when politicians passed eviction moratoriums that in some cases lasted for three years. More and more hostile regulations to landlords are passed in California each year.

The landlord in this case apparently didn't know the laws. In California if someone stays in a home for more than 30 consecutive days without a lease they become a tenant and you have to go through a minimum 75 day eviction process to kick them out. It doesn't matter if you have an Airbnb contract. Another issue is that if someone merely claims to have lived in your property for 30 days but they didn't you may still have to go through an eviction process! There's also numerous ways for tenants to delay being evicted and screw the landlord over such as false claims about unhabitability.

I think screening cuts risk by a lot. Landlords should thoroughly check to see if the tenant lied in their rental application.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The landlord in this case apparently didn't know the laws. In California if someone stays in a home for more than 30 consecutive days without a lease they become a tenant and you have to go through a minimum 75 day eviction process to kick them out.

Yup, and you have to get through the whole code of civil procedure right from the start. Mess something up? You have to start the eviction process all over again. You can go back and forth for months with other unknown tenants, demurrers and motions. It’s a broken and unfair system.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.