The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Questions on Legality, Taxation, Incorportation, etc..

Taxes and regulation

Joseph Bona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 1, 2011
New York
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice or their experience with making money online and the legalities. I currently have 5 domains registered privately in my own name and am beginning to see profit (very small profit) from ad revenue. I am not sure where to begin with getting a tax id, opening a company bank account, legal issues, etc...

If my sites do begin to bring in a decent amount of money I don't want the IRS knocking at my door.

I suppose this question applies to anyone starting a company LLC or corp so any advice would be great..I am sure many of us have these same questions.

It's not the most glamorous thread but it's vital info..Thanks in advance

Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joseph Bona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 1, 2011
New York
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice or their experience with making money online and the legalities. I currently have 5 domains registered privately in my own name and am beginning to see profit (very small profit) from ad revenue. I am not sure where to begin with getting a tax id, opening a company bank account, legal issues, etc...

The question is, Can you give advice on this?

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
I established a LLC that I use as an umbrella company (of sorts) for my online projects. To set up a business bank acct, I had to have my tax id from the irs Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online In my state, I didn't need a business license.

You'll have to check your state requirements for operating an online business. As far as the irs is concerned, report everything. I know affiliate companies and Paypal now report income to the irs.

You should find a CPA that's knowledgeable about online businesses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joseph Bona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Aug 1, 2011
New York
Thanks for the reply...I have been looking at Legal Zoom.
Has anyone had any experience with them? They set up your tax ID with the Irs with their gold package..Is it a complicated process? or should I just do it on my own

MamaD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 5, 2011
Maryland
Thanks for the reply...I have been looking at Legal Zoom.
Has anyone had any experience with them? They set up your tax ID with the Irs with their gold package..Is it a complicated process? or should I just do it on my own

The process isn't that difficult. You already have to pay your state for the paperwork to set-up your biz. The tax id is free from the IRS and you can do it online and get your id the same day. Just find out what you need to do to establish a business in your state and the rest is just filling out paperwork.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hey,

I noticed too threads like this ain't among most popular, but even that has a good side, as for such serious stuff you cannot rely on forum advice anyway, especially as not everyone is from your state.

Find a good accountant as number one, and - if you can afford one, it's good having a lawyer, but legalzoom probably can do the work. Just read their disclaimer and keep in mind they're not attorneys, they just assist you in filling and submitting documents, which you'd be able to do yourself anyway. But it is certainly better having someone with experience taking care of that for a small fee.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I wouldn't worry about it until you start earning more money from your sites. There is a lot of paperwork and hassle that goes with registering an LLC or a Corp (I have done both at various times). If your state charges sales tax, you have to file a monthly revenue report showing your sales and taxes you collected, etc.

If you want to stay 100% legal and kosher with IRS, just report your income from your sites, and be sure to deduct the expenses of running them.

At some point, it makes sense to found the LLC or S-Corp. My personal feeling is that a person should be earning $1000/mo net of expenses to justify the hassles. THis is not a set in stone figure. Just a rule of thumb.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I
f my sites do begin to bring in a decent amount of money I don't want the IRS knocking at my door.

They don't always come knocking on your door. When I was in college I made about 30K over the course of 4 months selling electronic books online. I did not pay a single penny to the government (EXTREMELY STUPID :smx4:), but they did not come for me (not yet at least).

...but I took the legal approach for my new company. The advice on this thread is good and it is not that hard to do things the legal way. You can also do everything through legal zoom, which is a very cheap process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.