The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] www.sneakercount.com

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I am going to start a progress thread to keep myself motivated and on task. My website is www.sneakercount.com . It is a website where people can locally buy/sell/trade sneakers (Jordans, Nike, Adidas). It is like craigslist with a focus on sneakers. There is a market for it if your wondering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h52tQzOXIrQ ). I have been getting a decent amount of traffic for starting out but i am getting lazy and getting off task. I am mainly creating this thread to help me. Feel free to comment suggestions/tips/feedback. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Update:

For the past couple of days i have been posting on facebook sneakerhead groups. This works for awhile until the members of the group have seen the post a couple of times. I bump the post on these groups once every 4 hours. I have also cleaned up the categories and limited it to just shoes. I am thinking about starting a blog. I just want to know what the cheapest domain/hosting is. My site is currently with hostgator so can i get a better deal that way or i have to pay a seperate $7 a month like i do now? What should i name the blog? Is a blog the way to go?

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I was pretty busy with school today. I have just been social media marketing and posting ads from craigslist. Broke 1000 hits in less than a week YAY! I am very happy but I am still on the grind. Next step is to grow twitter, create facebook, then create a blog!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Lol, I just noticed you're spamming my friend's (and potential investor's) Facebook group. Nice.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
You need a new logo. I'm all for bootstrapping but your current logo is going to deter people from taking your site seriously.
Is that a hair dryer in a shoe made in MS paint??

Put "professional" high resolution images of shoes on the front page. You need to get people emotionally involved.

Your "post an add" page should also show the terms of selling rather than just a sign up form.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
You need some serious Web redesign. Think more along the lines of Elitedaily.com.

Tabs should income home, where all the Sneaker News is, Whats hot: which includes other celebrities are wearing, Trade/Swap: where people can exchange, and Buy: Where you can purchase brand new sneakers.

Get this going, can be big.
If not, let me know and I can help.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
You need a new logo. I'm all for bootstrapping but your current logo is going to deter people from taking your site seriously.
Is that a hair dryer in a shoe made in MS paint??

Put "professional" high resolution images of shoes on the front page. You need to get people emotionally involved.

Your "post an add" page should also show the terms of selling rather than just a sign up form.

That is just a temporary logo. I ordered a logo on fiverr from the guy brycer9 recommended to me.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
You need some serious Web redesign. Think more along the lines of Elitedaily.com.

Tabs should income home, where all the Sneaker News is, Whats hot: which includes other celebrities are wearing, Trade/Swap: where people can exchange, and Buy: Where you can purchase brand new sneakers.

So my website should be like this http://solecollector.com/Sneakers/Marketplace/ with forums,blog,trade/swap? I actually think thats a good idea thank you

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012

How would i go about this web redesign. Should i hire a new freelancer on odesk or freelancer (im short on cash). Is it something i can do myself (i am tech savy but i dont have any idea on how to code or design).

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
I'd use Wordpress to build your e commerce site.
Lots of tools & plugins to use. Learning curve depends upon how technically inclined you are, shouldn't take but a few months.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I have setup the basic skeleton website (www.sneakercount.com) . I was wondering how I could integrate the three pages (store,blog, and marketplace) uniformly so I can switch between them easily?

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
To make it so you can switch between them just add a blog link to your marketplace that takes you back to the homepage. You'll probably want to hack the wordpress theme to match the marketplace I suppose. What is the purpose of the Store vs. the marketplace? What is the platform that your Marketplace is on, does it not have an integrated blog capability? Right now if someone registered on your marketplace, I guess they would have to create another account on the blog if they wanted to comment on your posts? That SoleCollector site is pretty slick. Lots of different types of content/media, nice design, engaging, but of course they are backed by an entire media company.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
By the way, I think your wordpress install broke your marketplace. When I click on any of the ads on the marketplace homepage, it takes me to a wordpress 404 page. You need to get somebody to tweak your mod-rewrite rules in your .htaccess file.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
To make it so you can switch between them just add a blog link to your marketplace that takes you back to the homepage. You'll probably want to hack the wordpress theme to match the marketplace I suppose. What is the purpose of the Store vs. the marketplace? What is the platform that your Marketplace is on, does it not have an integrated blog capability? Right now if someone registered on your marketplace, I guess they would have to create another account on the blog if they wanted to comment on your posts? That SoleCollector site is pretty slick. Lots of different types of content/media, nice design, engaging, but of course they are backed by an entire media company.
I have messaged the freelancer i was working with to fix the 404 problem. I also asked if there was a way to integrate all three pages (blog,marketplace,store) so i could navigate between them easily. Also the marketplace is a peer to peer place where people sell and the store is from me to the users. How would making the wordpress theme match the marketplace theme work?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
What did you pay the developer for this if you don't mind me asking?

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I'm really lost now, is it a blog or a marketplace?
It is both. Originally it was a marketplace but i recieved advice that i should create a blog to drive traffic to the marketplace so this is what i thought of. An all in one website like solecollector.com

pande

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 5, 2013
I think you're onto a pretty decent idea. However your logo needs some serious work. I'm not sure if you posted that you're working on it or not, but I recommend you go to 99designs and get a logo created. It's a pretty good way to get your logo made. I'm currently 4 days into my logo contest and am very happy with what the designers have so far.

You can leverage craigslist somehow to boost your site activity. In two ways that I can think of. Contact shoe sellers on craigslist and tell them about your site or you can sell your shoes on craigslist and if you get a buyer tell him he can save 10% on the sale if he buys it through your website. Or you can trap him when he tries to bargain with you. Set your price as $120 for a set of shoes knowing that you'll be willing to sell them for $100. When he offers you $100 you tell him that the only way you'd be willing to let them go for that price is if he purchases it through your site. That or he can pay you $120!

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Just IMO, but I'd work on getting the user experience sorted out and getting traffic before worrying about blowing money on a logo. Logo is "good enough", get some more meat on the site and make the difference between marketplace and store clearer, etc.

pande

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 5, 2013
Just IMO, but I'd work on getting the user experience sorted out and getting traffic before worrying about blowing money on a logo. Logo is "good enough", get some more meat on the site and make the difference between marketplace and store clearer, etc.

I'd have to disagree with you regarding the logo. The logo in the marketplace was done in paint. There is absolutely no way I would ever trust a website with my credit card information if their logo was created using paint. However, it looks like the op had already decided to improve his logo. I clicked over to his blog and found a much nicer logo. That's my opinion, but theirs more than one way to skin a cat. What matters is that the op is doing something, so kudos to him.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Ok. Website is fully changed. I have added a blog, store, and a "whats hot" section. I have been posting 2 articles each on "whats hot" and the blog twice a day. Should i have the marketplace (my original idea) as the homepage or should i have the blog (thing that will get traffic to my marketplace) as my homepage. I am starting to think i dont need a blog due to the high level of competition in sneaker blogs. Whats new is the marketplace so idk.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Looking good. I bought these rather expensive books from Internet Retailers to do some market research and thought of this thread when I saw this retailer below. Obviously I can't copy in the whole thing since it's something I paid for (and I don't want to violate their terms), but I hope this helps you. I found the shopper profile on this site rather interesting.

sneaker.JPG

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Looking good. I bought these rather expensive books from Internet Retailers to do some market research and thought of this thread when I saw this retailer below. Obviously I can't copy in the whole thing since it's something I paid for (and I don't want to violate their terms), but I hope this helps you. I found the shopper profile on this site rather interesting.

View attachment 6287
My website is kind of like sneakerhead.com . The store and blog aspect of my website are like sneakerhead.com . The marketplace of my website is a peer to peer shoe selling site like craigslist. That is my main thing.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Should my homepage be the marketplace (the site thats the main idea) or should the blog be the homepage (to drive traffic to the marketplace)?

www.sneakercount.com

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Once you're in the marketplace there's no way back to the blog other than hitting the back button. I'd probably put the marketplace front and center, and pull in recent blog posts if you can. And vice versa, if someone is brought to the site by a blog post, have recent items and whatnot displayed around the content. Maybe after each post show images of the most recent 5 sneakers posted for sale in the marketplace. I'd try to make it more seamless between the sections and not like three silo'd sites - so it all kind of "flows" naturally with a consistent experience. Also make it clearer on the site that the marketplace is where they can post their sneakers for sale or buy sneakers, and the store is the site store, calls to action etc. The store page is actually empty right now with the default wordpress sample post. Do you even need the "store" just yet? I'd try to focus everything on supporting getting users to take the action you want them to - which is transacting sneakers through your marketplace.

Stay consistent and keep up posting quality content.

There's gotta be some way to hook this thing into SnapChat or Instagram or something like that, one of these newfangled social networks/apps that all the young ones are using, try and capture some network effect.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Once you're in the marketplace there's no way back to the blog other than hitting the back button. I'd probably put the marketplace front and center, and pull in recent blog posts if you can. And vice versa, if someone is brought to the site by a blog post, have recent items and whatnot displayed around the content. Maybe after each post show images of the most recent 5 sneakers posted for sale in the marketplace. I'd try to make it more seamless between the sections and not like three silo'd sites - so it all kind of "flows" naturally with a consistent experience. Also make it clearer on the site that the marketplace is where they can post their sneakers for sale or buy sneakers, and the store is the site store, calls to action etc. The store page is actually empty right now with the default wordpress sample post. Do you even need the "store" just yet? I'd try to focus everything on supporting getting users to take the action you want them to - which is transacting sneakers through your marketplace.

Stay consistent and keep up posting quality content.

There's gotta be some way to hook this thing into SnapChat or Instagram or something like that, one of these newfangled social networks/apps that all the young ones are using, try and capture some network effect.

Ok i do agree i should eliminate the store. The marketplace was created by a freelance coder who i hired off odesk. The blog and whats hot i created in wordpress i created in wordpress so that is why they are not similar. I am talking to the freelancer about adding a blog tab to the marketplace. I think i am going to make the marketplace the homepage while adding a blog tab. I do like the idea of on the blog having recent post in marketplace. Thank you!

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Wow its been almost a month since my last post. I have added the blog and whats up i just need to wait for my developer to link it to the main sneakercount website. I currently have 1300 followers on instagram and 130 on twitter. Slowly growing. I have added the blog but it doesnt bring in people like i hoped. Currently been stealing ads from craigslist to post on my site and writing blog articles. There are some "sneaker" conventions or trade shows coming up. Would it make a big difference for me to go to on? What should i do there?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.