The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] Tanning business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys,

I think it's time for me to share some progress with all of you, too.

A friend of mine wants to start a tanning business and asked me to invest in it and help him turn this into a success.

He asked me how we could open up tanning salons with a different approach than most other salons that are out there right now.

That are the so far most promising ideas we had:

#1 - Using standing tanning beds instead of the traditional ones where you lay down.
Most of the competition is using the traditional laying beds. We like the the benefits of standing tanning beds and the possibility to promote this other approach to tanning.

This has many benefits for the customer - you can check some of them over here: Why You Should Use A Stand Up Tanning Bed

Do you have ideas what you would like when using a tanning salon? What are your ideas to make a tanning salon the best possible experience for a customer?

#2 - Removing the human ressources factor from running a tanning salon

This is a tough one, but could be interesting. We thought of turning a tanning salon, that requires employees into something where the business doesn't need an employee to be in every salon.
Basically the customer checks in with a member card, picks their minutes to tan and that's it. Additional machines where the customer can buy tanning products will be added, too.

The biggest question to this challenge is hygiene - what are the laws for tanning salons and how can we make sure we will meet them. How do we get around the problem of customers who don't clean the tanning bed after tanning? Maybe only offering standing beds would be the best solution, because the customer doesn't lay on the machines so the hygiene question would be better solved.

As said, #2 is the biggest challenge, but could be a very promising factor business wise as it could be possible to turn a human ressources business into a straight passive one. Basically, to be honest with you, the only reason I am interested into investing into this business is because of #2 - taking humarn ressources out of a business that needs employees is something I like.

Do you have some ideas how to take out the human ressources factor out of a tanning business?

#3 - Monetization model: Free tanning + only monthly memberships

We would like to cut out the traditional tanning where you pay 10€ for some minutes here and there and only make our business available for monthly members.

We would promote this with comparing prices for the customers like this:

"Visiting your traditional tanning salon 2-3 times per month is even more expensive as our unlimited monthly membership @ 19€ per month..".

If we manage to cut out human ressources of running a salon like mentioned in #2 above, we could offer better prices than the whole tanning competition, because our salons have much lower running costs without the need of employees in every salon.

Of course our monthly memberships would be without any fixed contract time, so the customer can quit whenever they want. Basically any idea to make it even more attractive for the customer is welcome.

Oh, about the free tanning: We would promote our offer like this...

a.) The customer gets a trial card-coupon and can use the tanning salons for 7 days for free... OR
b.) the interested customer signs up online as a new monthly member and has 7,14,30 days to test the salon and if they don't withdraw from the sign up, the membership begins (my personal favorite).

What are your ideas a.) how to get customers and b.) intersting monetization possibilities for the tanning business?

---------------------------------

IMPORTANT: This is NOT MY business, I am just an investor in this one and I think my buddy can get this up and running, so it might be an interesting run :)

I will keep you guys and girls updated and I'm very thankful for any ideas/questions etc.

Hope this will be fun
:icon_super:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next steps:

a.) Spotting possible locations and "creating" our first prototype tanning salon.
b.) Sales, sales, sales. First 1000 members @ 19€ per month in 12 month is realistic. I like this business opportunity, because I love sales about any business and after we manage to make this a business without human ressources, this biz would make it possible to focus most of our efforts into sales / getting new customers. I love business models where most of your time is only about sales and marketing, so this could be interesting.

-----------------------------------------

So here again are the questions where I need YOUR help / ideas for this business:

#1 - Do you have ideas what you would like when using a tanning salon? What are your ideas to make a tanning salon the best possible experience for a customer?

#2 -
Do you have some ideas how to take out the human ressources factor out of a tanning business?

#3 -
What are your ideas a.) how to get customers and b.) intersting monetization possibilities for the tanning business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Just a quick reply regarding automation/human resources because I'm on the phone:

We have fully automated tanning salons here, I think even the entry door locks and unlocks automatically for the opening hours. All selfservice (desinfectioning before you go on the thing). The process is basically: you clean the bank, You put in coins ($5 per 4min, F*cking ripoff) and a timer starts (about 2min), you undress, lie down and thats it.

I can take some photos of the salon and the appliances if you're interested, its very close to where I live.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah, of course, thanks a lot for your effort, sounds nice!

Thanks for the pictures and any more infos about them (maybe you'll get their website, too?)

Just a quick reply regarding automation/human resources because I'm on the phone:

We have fully automated tanning salons here, I think even the entry door locks and unlocks automatically for the opening hours. All selfservice (desinfectioning before you go on the thing). The process is basically: you clean the bank, You put in coins ($5 per 4min, F*cking ripoff) and a timer starts (about 2min), you undress, lie down and thats it.

I can take some photos of the salon and the appliances if you're interested, its very close to where I live.

Big Daddyhoo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 21, 2012
tanTALK - Tanning Salon Business Owners Community - Powered by vBulletin
Internet has everything! :smilielol:

Here's something I found on self-service salons that was interesting to me:

I would love to be able to track my tans (number of sessions, duration, days of the week, bed type, etc...) and have the information available to me.

Also, the card reader has a lot of potential. I definitely wish that I could carry a card that was linked to my account that would allow me to make in store purchases and buy bed upgrades without using cash, check or having to whip out a credit card.
Its illegal in some states.
Every Salon I have been to have some form of a T-Max timer to keep my session regulated..I always go as long as I am allowed, but I cant start it back up or anything
I don't think I'd feel safe there....especially at night!
Wen you go in intially at this salon, you pay a lifetime membership of like $7 and that gives you a key to the building so you can go when you like. Thw hours of operation are 6am to midnight daily. there's not always someone there, but the owner does live above the salon. If you have any question, there's a phone that you can use and call her upstairs.
The beds are coin operated. She also had vending machines that have lotions in them if you need lotion.

The people that I have talked to have actually preferred this salon because she has the better beds in town and they get better results.
the only good thing would be no one pushing lotion on you everytime you
went in- LOL

- Seems many would fear for their safety when alone.
- Can you minimize the human cost? Perhaps setup in places where there's people already?

Also: You're about to go into business with a friend. Careful. :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.