The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Partners and Mentors.

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I was speaking to someone earlier today and I thought I would share a part of our discussion, as it relates to a few things that are going on in different threads in the forums.

people asking questions about mentors and partners and if giving up equity is worth it etc...

in my head these are very silly questions, there is no doubt a benefit to bringing other people in to help you.

for example I will use my project.

I am fully capable of doing all of it own my own. I know this. yet I WANT HELP. that sounds stupid and most people would disagree (those who ask those questions mentioned above) if you can do it on your own why would you want to give up equity for something you can do alone and why not just do it yourself and keep all the rewards for yourself?

for me there are multiple answers. it boils down to a few key factors.

1. being alone sucks. I am very smart, as are most of the people on this forum. that said, I do not care how smart you are someone is going to think of something you have not. they are going to pose questions and ask things that haven't occurred you to even think about. there is always strength in numbers. 2 heads are always better than one etc....

2. just because you can do something is it really done the best it could be? again I can do everything I need to on my own... but am I the best person for the job? sometimes yes, sometimes its a HUGE NO. just because I could do it doesn't mean I should. if someone else can do that job better then THEY SHOULD. ego has no real place in business.

3. if you pick the right people, the amount of money they get will be well spent. if you don't think that you will be 3.5% better or even 20% better*whatever they are asking or) for them joining than maybe it isn't worth it. but if you have found the right person they will bring more to the table than they are asking BY A LOT.

4. you say they don't have direct experience in the field? even if they haven't done exactly what you are doing that doesn't mean that they cant help you! there are many general things that apply to all businesses. KNOWING HOW TO GET THINGS DONE is a skill. they may not know exactly the contacts you need but they KNOW HOW TO GET THEM AND WILL.

5. remember your the unknown factor in the equation not them. they are taking an even bigger risk on you than you are on them. they have proven themselves. they do not need you. you have most likely never done anything, you have no experience. you/your company/idea are a lump of clay. its up to them to put in the real work. they are giving up time that could likely be wasted on you and better spent somewhere else. (family sleep other deals etc) 3.5% or 20% or whatever it is of your pie is small potatoes to them. they do not need it. so remember this when you are trying to figure out if 20% of nothing is worth making it into something... chances are you wont do it without help of some kind. and no one works for free. and I promise you will pay for it one way or the other. could be in stupid mistakes or not utilizing the correct procedures, not having things the way the want the industry needs to see them. it could all cost you a lot of money in the long run...

I know by bringing in this person to help me and guide me that I ultimately will end up having more keeping just my portion and giving equity to him than I would keeping and doing everything 100% on my own.

so bottom line is if you want to do something take risks.(risk trusting other people. be willing to give up equity to the right people) so the question is even if you can do everything alone should you? in my head its a huge NO. and if you cant and you know it and you have someone who can you should be slapped for even asking lol because to me someone who is helping me, guiding me, and just basically listening to me is worth his weight in gold. and any amount of equity it takes to get it done. even half of something is better then nothing...

they should not question is the partner or the mentor worth it. if you know they can deliver it really is a no brainer.

the real question is am I worthy?

I hope I am :D

ps. I am not talking about oh my best friend wants to help, were going to do it together or he made my logo and now were partners. I am talking about PROVEN BUSINESS PEOPLE. someone who knows what they are doing and are not a second version of neediness.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree with you. Nice post! :)

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
I agree with most of your post. I too am struggling with this partner dilemma. I enjoy the collaborative thinking of a partner and different points of view. It's not the potential split of the money that concerns me but the vested trust put into a partnership. As said here before, people are predictable in some aspects and not in others. Will they share the same Redline as I have for as long as it's needed or will they shift into Neutral? Will they stay when there is blood at stake or stick it out? I can do it alone but succeeding as a team also has it's non-monetary rewards.

Those are all the questions swirling I my head.

2 cents?

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Steve Jobs had a partner. His name was Steve Wozniak.
Bill Gates had a partner. It was Paul Allen.
Warren Buffet's partner is Charlie Munger.

All of these people have genius IQ's and billions of dollars. And they've all had partners.
I'm not saying you NEED a partner because all of these guys would of been successful on their own individually. I'm just pointing out that the richest people had someone by their side.

I think it's for checks and balances.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
As for the mentor side of things... Everyone has a mentor. It's who you go after as a mentor is what kind of learning your going to get.

Warren Buffet's mentor was Benjamin Graham. Taught him everything he knows. Buffets taken the time to refine it though so it's not similar.

A "closer to home" story is @IceCreamKid and @JasonR

Zen mentored both of them. Even though Jason is going through some shit right now, he is no doubt a success story.
Icecreamkid, I really don't even need to go there. He's inspired and helped so many people.
He's even pulled me out of some kind of weird depression shit I had, in only one message.

But there they are. Not saying they wouldn't of been successful but Zen cut down their learning curve immensely.

You can also be mentored by books about people or things. I just finished the Sam Walton biography. I've been in retail nearly a quarter of my life. Some of the stuff mentioned in the book is amazing. I would of never thought of it in years. I learned about how you really should be when it comes to competition.

One of my favorite chapters in the book is where it says that Sam's wife said he spent more time in competitor's stores than his own. And he got arrested in Brazil because the police thought he was mad for going around competitor's looking to see if they knew something he didn't.

Mentorship is necessary. Partnership, not so much.

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
Steve Jobs had a partner. His name was Steve Wozniak.
Bill Gates had a partner. It was Paul Allen.
Warren Buffet's partner is Charlie Munger.

All of these people have genius IQ's and billions of dollars. And they've all had partners.
I'm not saying you NEED a partner because all of these guys would of been successful on their own individually. I'm just pointing out that the richest people had someone by their side.

I think it's for checks and balances.

Well, I don't know about Genius IQ, but great examples.

Checks & Balances. More of what the world needs. Thank you.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Well, I don't know about Genius IQ, but great examples.

Checks & Balances. More of what the world needs. Thank you.

The only one in question is Jobs since I couldn't find an IQ test.

Buffet and Munger have around a 155 IQ. Buffet says you only need about 120 IQ points and you can sell the rest, constantly.

Warren Buffett at a 2008 Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting said:
If you have more than 120 or 130 I.Q. points, you can afford to give the rest away. You don’t need extraordinary intelligence to succeed as an investor.”

Allen is about 170IQ and scored a perfect on the SAT
Gates is a 160IQ kinda guy.
Wozniak is reported to be around 200. This is also subject to fact checking.

But who cares lol.
Point is, these people are excessively successful and they've all had great partners.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.