The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opinions on direction?

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
So I have a product that I most likely just found a dropshipper for. I am dropshipping because this product has a lot of variation and ordering 10-20 different styles in bulk would be extremely costly and inefficient. So dropshipping in this particular case is definitely the best way for me to go (before anyone says that it eats profits, etc)

So my product is a textile product. It is a novelty item for car enthusiasts. It can be for home decor, for kids, for your garage, for car shows, a gift, list goes on. It doesn't solve a problem, however. I do plan to use some profits towards charity to give some incentive other than the cool factor.

I was wondering in what direction you guys think I should go... should I make the brand name focused around just this product? Should I make the brand name more vague so I could expand (not sure what else I would expand into)? Or what else could I maybe do with just this product? Guess I am trying to think of ways to add value to make it more appealing, more than just the cool factor, like i said.

My current plan is to make a simple website with the offerings and advertise on social media.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

(If this supplier doesn't work, this will not work. One thing to note.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
It's a type of pillow, but I don't want to disclose the idea. This forum in particular has me paranoid!
Just curious, what about the forum has you paranoid?

Admittedly, I have not been here very long, but what I've gotten from this forum is that ideas are not worth much alone--it's quite unlikely someone will steal one. What is more valuable is execution and your business plan.

In no way am I arguing that you should disclose it, just that it is probably not something to be paranoid about--especially here.

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
So assuming you are the buyer of this dropshipping deal and also assuming you are providing this miracle product to your potential customers, I would make at least some brand name or business name. If you are looking to sell this product, you essentially answered your own question. Take it and show it off at those trade shows. "Sell" that product. and if you say it is that good, I don't see why people would not buy it.

P.S. If charity is involved, have you considered on creating a non-profit? This would appeal to more clients as they feel they are purchasing your product for a good cause

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Well first off, like I described in my post, it's not any miracle product. In fact it's not even solving anything, it's novelty, which is why I said I wanted to add more value to it. Also, like I also already said, it will have a brand name. What I was asking is if I should make the brand just focused on this product and have the name revolve around this product, or have a more general name so that I could possibly throw more products in the mix or something like that. I don't remember saying it's that good.

This is being made far more difficult of a question than it should be...

But yes, I do plan to take it with me to car shows and I'm hoping that's where I will start. The supplier wants $100 for 5 pillows with all different designs. Do factories usually take payment before sending the product? I imagine they do. Plan on using paypal.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
1. Make your brand somewhat broad based

2. Don't post your specific product (you don't need to)

3. Give to charity because you want to, not because you will sell more. You won't sell ANY more if you give to charity. In fact, you might sell less. So... do it because you want to do it, but not because it's a hook. The hook doesn't work almost ever.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I echo @Vigilante's sentiments. Also,

It doesn't solve a problem, however.

They why would anyone want it? Honestly, I think this is a mindset issue. Everything can solve a problem, you just have to think about it at length and figure out what your USP is. As Vig stated, the charity angle is the wrong approach. Don't use it as a hook or as your USP. Think about what would compel people to buy your product as side from the nobility of a charible contribution (or more importantly why someone would by your product over someone else's) and create your USP. Without it, I don't think you'll never achieve the level of success you aspire to.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
But yes, I do plan to take it with me to car shows and I'm hoping that's where I will start. The supplier wants $100 for 5 pillows with all different designs. Do factories usually take payment before sending the product? I imagine they do. Plan on using paypal.

I can help with this question. Yes, prepayment is always required for samples. You will also have freight to consider. Has the supplier quoted you FOB, or have they included freight?

If FOB, you need to ask them to quote you for door to door courier delivery. When you pick your jaw up off the floor, try getting a quote from someone such as UPS. If you open an account with them you might get a lower rate than just for a casual order.

Beware of the possibility of a cubic measure price for the freight, because pillows, regardless of size will be bulky rather than heavy. Freight charged on a cubic measure basis may well make the whole deal unprofitable.

Also, if and when you get samples cut one open and see what is used for filling. There have been many instances of disgusting dirty filling material being used in stuffed toys etc ex China. You don't want to be sued.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
Anything you can do to avoid volume measurements on shipping? Definitely ran into the bulky light weight item and shipping is outrageous( makes the deal unprofitable)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Anything you can do to avoid volume measurements on shipping? Definitely ran into the bulky light weight item and shipping is outrageous( makes the deal unprofitable)
Unfortunately, the only way to avoid it is to not buy very light, bulky products, or if you must buy them, use sea freight. That is usually not an option for small shipments though. It can cost more than air freight.

If you have the measurements and weight, shop around some freight forwarders and ask if they can find you some spare space within the next week or two. They usually bulk buy air cargo container space and if they don't have enough parcels to fill it, they will sell it cheap.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I see. Some good advice here. The product is about as useful as a model car (no, it isn't a car.)

So I'm just having a hard time trying to come up with anything other than it just being a cool thing to put next to your car at car shows or have your kids play with. You don't buy a pillow with a picture of spiderman on it because it solves your insomnia lol. You buy it because you like spiderman and it's cool. And no, the pillow is not just a pillow with a picture of a car on it either. That would be lame.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I was wondering in what direction you guys think I should go... should I make the brand name focused around just this product? Should I make the brand name more vague so I could expand (not sure what else I would expand into)? Or what else could I maybe do with just this product? Guess I am trying to think of ways to add value to make it more appealing, more than just the cool factor, like i said.

My current plan is to make a simple website with the offerings and advertise on social media.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

This is all putting up red flags for me.
You are kinda... Deflated.

Look at your marketting and sales like a basketball.
Some people play with basketballs some don't, but when they DO play, they want a ball that bounces, and doesn't hiss out air and deflate on them.

You ARE trying to "mix things up", but you are doing it in a very FLAT and deflated way because you are trying to garuntee a response from your audience.

You simply cannot market to people effectively that way.

You recognise you have marketting and sales issues, but do you recognise the DANGER of these issues?
- Patching things up in a rushed and impulsive way
- Getting in a mopey headspace, and trying to "justify" your failures by stocking up on good karma like a real "nice guy"
- Thinking you've tried everything (blurring the line between results and lackluster execution)

Can you, innovate a solution?
- Think things through clearer
- Focus on success of actions (enhance whats already working, expand from there)
- Think of new things, and new ways to do them

You have to break out of your sh#tty "no can do" headspace, its really sucking the BOUNCE out of your basketball, and when that happens, you are not serving your market to the best of your ability.

You have a market, you have a customer, now go give them something they can work with rather than confuse matters with clouded attempts to force customers to play with you in your deflated state.
Pump yourself up, and clarify yourself here

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.