The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Simple Idea - Stephen Key

Idea threads

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
[QUOTE="StephenKey, post: 404335, member: 1735"

Thank you for the kind words! No, I did not use any form of protection, because that idea was for the novelty gift industry. There is so much turnover in the novelty industry that protection isn't needed — makers are constantly on the prowl for new ideas. It's somewhat unique in that way.

Let us know how it goes.
][/QUOTE]

Hello Stephen, thanks for your reply.

What I did as protection goes is simply 'a poor mans copyright' this IS legal in the UK, according to the UK governments website, however I'm submitting to a company that is based in France and sells WORLDWIDE.

Anyway, a hand drawing and plastic prototype, the 'a poors mans copyright all took me a couple of days to complete.

I submitted at the company's website, got a reply after 3 weeks, thanking me for the idea, BUT ...they say they are selling something similar in China, I requested a link for the product in China, they supplied it, however I could NOT find the item?

I have show them proof (Amazon) how this product would sell on its own or with the good selling product they already have.

I've left it at that, because at the end of the day what more can I do?

Like you say in your book: 'You Have To Have A LOT Of Lines in The Water' to be successful at this game, Ah...just as well I'm a MEGA Keen Fisherman then!

So its back to the drawing board {shops etc} to think up new ideas/inventions!

I'll be... BACK here to report!

Last edited:

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Hi Stephen, great book! I'm really obsessed by this business model as a result. I am constantly been creative with ideas that always end up on the shelves eventually. Now it's time for me to beat them to it and get credit.

A few questions:

• when you send your sell sheet to the company. Are you supposed to send your NDA also? I feel like this is an extra step for the recipient and will more likely repel the person. Or do you get them to sign it after? (Please inform me in which order you go about the NDA process)

• do companies listen to your marketing ideas? I have an idea that might already be patented but it's marketed completely different.

• can you patent protein supplements? Is it the ingredients combination? How about clothes?

• if I wanted to find a mentor but didn't have the money to pay for your program. Is there anybody out there who has experience with licensing that I can make a deal with? For example, I have a great idea but would like to 50/50 with someone with experience. Is there any websites/ someone that do this? (Does that make me a product scout?)

Thanks in advance !

P.s. I just bought your other book on making the product since I have been working on a product for half a year. Would love to license it and skip a lot of the hard work but there is only 1/2 companies that I don't think they would be interested since they make their products from their garage.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014
Thanks a lot Stephen

I guess my ideas is still worth a phone call and perhaps a PPA, I will regret it if i don't try, perhaps I could discuss with you privately? (Thought I would ask!)

It's kinda freaky that as I am listening to your Audio book on my smart phone and then to see a notifIcation that you replied to me on this forum.

I'm also reading ' patent it in 24 hours'

YoungGun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 2, 2015
@StephenKey , I have an app idea that is specific to one company. It is not a product, but a service that could be considered as a marketing technique. As well as, providing better customer service and getting people involved in the companies community. I really do believe that this idea will help them rise above their competitors. Can I still protect this idea? Or should I have to make and sell the app?
I enjoyed your book by the way!

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
@StephenKey

I want to truly thank you for the amazing work you have done with your books, with invent right and your many youtube videos. I have been searching for a while jumping from idea to idea for a business to focus on and I believe whole-heartedly I have found it in invention and licensing.

I would say I have a fair idea of the trials and efforts required going forward but also would like to ask a question:

In your experience what skills would be the most desirable to learn to succeed in this?

Example, sketching, graphic design, sales, etc. Currently, I am considering learning sketching. I also know full well how difficult this will be going from skill level Zero to a sufficient skill level to make it.

I have considered outsourcing this to freelancers, but I think that it might be necessary to have a base level that freelancers can then improve upon. At least... enough to get my idea across clear enough in a sketched format.

It would make the process of bringing ideas to life much quicker I think, even if what I sketch wouldn't be what is on the sell sheet.

Do you think it is worth learning to sketch?
Or would going directly to CAD be more valuable?

Last edited:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hi Stephen !

I own One Simple Idea AND the revised and expanded version. GREAT reads and excellent resources to have on my shelf.

Question: LifeTime Brands. Reputable ? If I understand .... they help inventors get their ideas on shelves. I'm thinking the companies they represent pay them somehow ? Would you recommend using them or not ?

I sent them one of my two ideas today....the one without a PPA. The other one I have has a PPA. I have prototypes of both.

Thank you in advance and THANK YOU for contributing here !

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Obtaining those is not the easiest thing to do right now, because the field is very crowded, but it can be done. Thanks for reading!

It's true, everybody these days has an idea for an app. But what make software patenting difficult is that the Supreme Court and the Federal Circuit are hostile to software patenting at the moment and the law regarding software patenting changes with each new decision.

D

Deleted29658

Hello everyone. I am glad everyone is finding my book helpful. If there are any questions I can answer please let me know. I am here to help.

Thanks,
Stephen Key

Hi Stephen,

I just finished your book. Excellent book and I really appreciate you bringing it into the world! Luckily, I had the critical thinking and prior knowledge to do everything right up to the point of finding licensees. However, after I filed my PPA I was searching further and I did, just like in your book, found the exact same patent as what I had "invented".
I remember you filed for how your product was manufactured instead, so that you could then license the product. This is also an available option for me and I would like to pursue it on a few of my ideas.

I have researched my product thoroughly and I know how it is made, but not the names of the machines in the assembly line that will do the work which I assume isn't an issue. I can give the broad overview of how it will be done and what materials would be used. The product is currently not in the market, but something similar is and I can make very simple modifications to make this a manufacture process. I have a few questions if you don't mind helping?

Can I write up an essay of how this is accomplished and file another PPA and then start contacting licensees? When they find the expired previous patent I can tell them I have the patent pending on the manufacture process of my product, thus making me eligible to license the product. Correct?

Additionally, I am in the united states. Do you have any trust worthy patent companies I can use once I strike a deal with a licensee to write this manufacture process patent?

Thank you for your time!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
life saving Fire Safety system to help Blind people actually find the exit
Interesting synchronicity , I met the inventor of this thing on my vacation (on the way home is when I discovered I had stephens book on audible never listened too)

I could put you in touch with her id youd like walter , maybe you could pick her brain.

A few things she mentioned , at one point walmart was interested but she didn't like the deal.

Sharktank wanted her on but a friend cautioned against it.

She does commercial sales and wholesale now and seems to be doing alright.

Did you know someone blind who died in a fire walter?

Natbros2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 21, 2020
Hello everyone. I am glad everyone is finding my book helpful. If there are any questions I can answer please let me know. I am here to help.

Thanks,
Stephen Key
Hello mr. Key,

I was looking for your book (in Italian language) but I couldn’t find it.

has been translated in Italian ?

thank you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.