The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

OK, this is a GAME CHANGER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
You guys/gals know I love to see how the game changes, so I can look for the new rules.

This one is a massive game changer:

Report: US finds mineral riches in Afghanistan - Yahoo! News

Please, no remarks about political or religious stuff.

Just look at it as how the game will change in Afganistan--

And ask how you, as a fastlaner, can benefit from this change.

I see China and Russia getting very excited (for different reasons-- Russia likes to occupy/run Afganistan, and China will just want the minerals-- esp the copper, lithium, and superconductors-- on the cheap.

Key here (to me) would be to set up the Afgans w/a system that allowed them to exploit the resources.

Can you imagine the key export going from poppies/cocaine to minerals?

Some things will remain the same.

But other things will change.

At the very least, the rest of the developing world will be MUCH more interested in what's going on there.

For instance, having a stable govt will be a huge benefit to trading w/the rest of the world.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

keelba

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Apr 17, 2008
McKinney, TX
I cannot help but think that this has been known for some time but we the public are just now hearing about it. Why else would Russia have committed so much to winning that territory? Was it for the scenic views?

Is it just coincidental that the US spends so much in oil heavy Iraq and mineral rich Afghanistan and Haiti? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems too coincidental. There are other needy places in the world and places where terrorism apparently thrives but we do not seem to place nearly as much emphasis there. Maybe all that was missing to make a full go of it was public support and with the economy down now for so long the people will gladly give in to American Imperialism once again.

It's really sad that these nations are all sitting on top of untold riches but cannot tap into them as they wait to have them exploited by a super power.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
It's really sad that these nations are all sitting on top of untold riches but cannot tap into them as they wait to have them exploited by a super power.

Keelba, those countries could have made the same type of choices America did to empower its people to develop resources and real economies. The blame big bully America is getting old like we were born a superpower? America made certain choices to become a superpower in a short period of time. Maybe other 3rd world countries ought to adopt more American ways to prosper.

I'm sure many have known for quite some time but taking this information out to the public domain has to be a positive step. The motivations of the announcement aren't quite clear and can be many.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jeeze, I thought we were big boys and girls around here.

If it's going to get political, I'm going to close the thread.

PLEASE stay on topic. I realize we ALL have very strong political opinions-- REMEMBER THAT-- when you read this, EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE FASTLANE has political views, and VOLUNTARILY WITHHOLDS THEM.

I agree that the timing here is prolly not a coincidence.

But instead of giving us a lecture on geopolitical expansionism, instead, TRY TO FOCUS on the topic's questions:

1. How can this change be used to improve economic conditions in Afghanistan?

2. How could this be used to STABILIZE relations with neighboring countries?

3. How do we, as investors/entrepreneurs, take advantage of these changes?

There are plenty of places online where you can argue political views. If you must vent, or pontificate, or if you just really, really want to discuss this, then please go offsite to one of those spots.

Let's keep on topic.

And away from politics/religion.

Thanks,

-Russ H.

Operation_OPM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 16, 2008
Hyper Hustle Zone, Quadrant I-4
For a country with the planets youngest democracy this is an huge needle in the arm. If played right they could surpass Germany and Japan in post war economic booms. More resources to train an adequate military ad police force will lead to a self sustaining situation.
n
2. How could this be used to STABILIZE relations with neighboring countries? Same way we do it. Escalate technology and military to apocalyptic proportions. Its the only thing that keeps Pakistan out of India and China out of Japan. Taliban factions and any groups/defacto governments resembling them should consider themselves eradicated at this point. Besides military build up... global excavation in their political, educational and economic institutions will defiantly change the temperature of anyone who has an eye towards them.

Diligence, to play this right a savvy investor will play this in the front(mining/commodities), middle(manufacturing/technology) and back (Retail/Government bonds) while riding the currency as an overlaying cash cow. Secondary markets will be gravy.

Play it smart, surround yourself with a competent global/international investment team. Personally I plan on keeping a list of and investing in EVERY company that is operating and expresses any future plans of operating in Afghanistan. There are a bunch of inverse effects that will take place. I'm following this intensely...
1.What firm was it working with the Pentagon.
...that's where the $ trail begins.....

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
For a country with the planets youngest democracy this is an huge needle in the arm. If played right they could surpass Germany and Japan in post war economic booms. More resources to train an adequate military ad police force will lead to a self sustaining situation.

2. How could this be used to STABILIZE relations with neighboring countries? Same way we do it. Escalate technology and military to apocalyptic proportions. Its the only thing that keeps Pakistan out of India and China out of Japan. Taliban factions and any groups/defacto governments resembling them should consider themselves eradicated at this point. Besides military build up... global excavation in their political, educational and economic institutions will defiantly change the temperature of anyone who has an eye towards them.

Diligence, to play this right a savvy investor will play this in the front(mining/commodities), middle(manufacturing/technology) and back (Retail/Government bonds) while riding the currency as an overlaying cash cow. Secondary markets will be gravy.

Play it smart, surround yourself with a competent global/international investment team. Personally I plan on keeping a list of and investing in EVERY company that is operating and expresses any future plans of operating in Afghanistan. Their are a bunch of inverse effects that will take place. I'm following this intensely...
1.What firm was it working with the Pentagon.
...that's where the $ trail begins.....

THIS is the kind of thoughts/ideas I was looking for.

REP SPEED. :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I cannot help but think that this has been known for some time but we the public are just now hearing about it. Why else would Russia have committed so much to winning that territory? Was it for the scenic views?

Sorry, if Russia had known there was a TRILLION DOLLARS worth of minerals, they would have been mining it by now.

Next.

Is it just coincidental that the US spends so much in oil heavy Iraq and mineral rich Afghanistan and Haiti? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems too coincidental. There are other needy places in the world and places where terrorism apparently thrives but we do not seem to place nearly as much emphasis there.

This is so self evident as to be ludicrous, hence my comments about giving a lecture.

Yes, there is a reason we're in oil rich countries instead of fighting penguins at the South Pole, or looking for Santa's Secret Workshop at the North Pole. Resources = Power.

I've changed the POV in your next quote from pissy victim to capitalist. But that's just me. ;)

Maybe all that was missing to make a full go of it was public support and with the economy down now (insert) Americans and other countries will support sending money/resources into Afghanistan to build up their infrastructure and work with them to develop this huge find.(insert off)

See how different this one point is if you change it from victimization to entrepreneurial capitalist? Part of success in business (and life) is changing how you look at things.

Learn how to see opportunity, and work for win-wins.

Where you see sadness and exploitation, I see a sea change, from being one of the world's terror incubators into becoming a member of the G20. A trillion dollars? That's a staggering amount of resources.

Sure, terror camps and training will always remain.

But terrorism often is the result of frustration, and hopelessness.

If you have a choice between hopelessness/sadness/having nothing and hope/exhilaration/being rich, which will you choose?

I mostly see TWO POSSIBLE OUTCOMES as we move forward:

1. Take over by military force. If that's what happens, exploitation is the menu. Any country might decide to do this: Russia, China, India-- even Pakistan. "Owning" Afghanistan would be the equivalent of stealing someone's queen in chess.

2. Assist the country-- recognize that it's their land, but also make them recognize the enormous wealth they can have if these resources are mined. Developed nations could provide the technology and some of the manpower-- but the locals would get work AND the land owners would get rich.

I'm not going to get into politics--that's not the point of this thread. But I'd wager that the reason this was announced the way it was-- WHEN it was-- is that the US wants to pursue #2.

And the fact that the US is in Afghanistan-- and had announced a major withdrawal prior to this-- allows:

1. Delay of the withdrawal (and commitment of resources/mining) to benefit from the minerals, and

2. Having an existing US military presence in Afghanistan is a HUGE deterrent for other countries to invade.

Just my POV. But this has a LOT of levels.

Again, focus on how best to capitalize on this (pun intended). :banana:

-Russ H.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
With all respect Russ, I think that being skeptical and questioning the timing of this announcement is very wise from an investing point of view and not simply politics.

From an investment letter that I subscribe to (Casey Report):

The $1 trillion figure is totally bogus.

A "small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists" cannot possibly have drilled off these deposits, let alone done the engineering required to value them. At the very best, they've spotted some outcrops and taken some samples, and are circulating a gross metal value figure based on what can only be guesses as to the volume of potentially economic mineralization -- which no responsible geologist would do.

The soldier quoted says "there are a lot of ifs," but that does not excuse putting out the $1 trillion figure, a number that there is no reasonable way to support at this point.

This doesn't mean the minerals are not there – Afghanistan is known to have a good mineral endowment – but the government’s release sounds like the sort put out by Pink Sheet scammers. It will take time for any real discoveries to be made, especially given the time required to draft a workable mining law and for physical security to be established in the country.

So, why would the U.S. government release such a blatantly bogus figure? While solely conjecture on my part, it seems to me the intent is to show the citizenry of America and Afghanistan that the country has sufficient resources to somehow build a workable economy. Looked at in reverse, if the future of Afghanistan is as a permanent economic basket case – especially if we denude it of its number-one cash crop, poppies – then even in the best-case scenario the country stays one of the few remaining outposts of the 18th century, a backwater tribal society with no prospects of becoming anything more than another long-term recipient of foreign aid.

But one trillion dollars worth of metals! Well, now we have something to work with!

Seriously, such a blatant and disingenuous attempt at manipulating the minds of the masses is undignified and embarrassing. But then again, so is spending trillions of dollars fighting wars that should never have been fought in the first place.

"The first casualty of War is Truth"

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I do not think this will make a major difference for many years.

Look at how resource rich Africa is and most of the continent is in complete turmoil. If they got their ship together they could probably become the new super power. But... I think it takes the right people, the right time, and a little bit of luck to re-create something like America.

A

Anon3587x

What makes America Great?

People who come here do so because they are looking to better there lives, they have ambitions. They are doers and they make things happen. They are willing to leave there homeland and start over fresh for the opportunity to do so.

You could say the same about California :) but anyways. . .

People who come here make the conscious decision to work hard and prosper, not to cut anyone down in Afghanistan or Africa. But these people just sit around in poverty and oppression not by choice I know. But it would be difficult for them to capitalize on these opportunitys without a lot of guidance.

Now with this guidance comes control over these people and a whole lot of other BS.

I can't imagine anything good coming out of this situation. Not in the near future at least.

The people living in those regions know more suffering then prosperity. A vast percentage of there population are uneducated and cannot be reasoned with. They are not used to that sort of interaction. It's no fault of there own but that is just the way it is.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Interesting points.

I should note that I started this thread well before the 1 trillion number was floated. So that wasn't my motivation.

Jon Lee, I agree w/you. My post just before yours says as much-- the timing of this announcement is intentional, and I outline my thoughts as to why (to justify spending more resources/time/money/human capital in Afghanistan).

I'm guessing I didn't make that more clear.

Disingenuous? Nah. Political? Hail yes. Easy to see, as I pointed out.

But unlike some others here, I guess I see a silver lining:

If the rest of the world sees a reason to help Afghanis, then they will.

This is a good reason.

There is a potential ROI here (minerals).

That's a heckuva lot more appealing to global commerce and western govts than poppies.

-Russ H.

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
But instead of giving us a lecture on geopolitical expansionism, instead, TRY TO FOCUS on the topic's questions:

2. How could this be used to STABILIZE relations with neighboring countries?

-Russ H.

Afghanistan is a very poor country, with limited education espacially if you compare it to another country the US is involved in, Iraq. There are no natural resources other than opium which I believe is the largest in the world which the Taliban and warlords receive their money from to finance their agenda. The metal resource would be a good incentive to let the opium trade die, encourage business in the metal industry, and give many poor people a real job.

2. How could this be used to STABILIZE relations with neighboring countries? Afghanistan could use the metal industry to enhance relations with other countries other than the US. A lot of countries would love to get involved with metals that they could get for a good deal as well as bring their own industries to the country where land is most likely cheap and wages are low. It would be a win-win for the foreign country and Afghanistan.

First have patience, a lot of it. Right now we are at the height of the war in Afghanistan. Looking at history, this is where we were a few years ago in Iraq, just a different setting and location. In Iraq, everyone thought we were over our heads. Same in Afghanistan where we're at right now. Right now it's not safe to go visit the country, in my opinion. Alright, let me not get too far off topic. So as I said patience is key. First, be on the lookout since there will be several groups trying to get in on this lucrative market. There may be Fortune 500 countries that go to Afgahnistan and willing to invest millions of dollars just to get their foot in on this metal deal. Second, network with people who are in nearby countries, Pakistan, Iraq, Kuwait, China, etc. They have an "in" and may be able to work out a deal since they are all neighboring countries. Networking is key.

That's all I could think of so far.
Tom

Last edited:
A

Anon3587x

I'll share some INSIDERS information.

#1. The whole raw material Afghanistan news is mostly propaganda. There are MASSSIVE raw material deposits in every corner of the earth. Some of you may be living on top or within miles of one.
This news is showcased to justify certain actions.

#2. The Taliban OWNs Afghanistan. There are instances of T.V stations and radio shows being forced to shut down there operations due to threats from the Taliban. Our presence there is securing nothing but a few mountain ranges.

Not everybody working from the Taliban is even a terrorist. A LOT of them are Russian/European/African CAUCASIAN mercenaries who either

A. Hate America
B. Would sell there soul to the devil therefore will shoot in any direction you ask as long as the pay is right.

In certain regions of Afghanistan you would have to have hundreds of Armed Guards to secure your mining operations or the Taliban would take over.

If you did not pay off the Taliban or let them walk all over you your workers would be mortared and attacked while trying to mine.

The Taliban would infiltrate your mining operations and have suicide bombers blow up the mines closing them up if there demands were not met.

There are so many things wrong with this. The bold text is mostly an opinion. But similar things are happening to our soldiers and marines so what would exclude anyone else.

If you know anything about there religion is does not matter what your purpose is. If you are an infidel you are a possible target.

My source?
take a look at my avatar

I suggest buying hundreds of acres of "cheap" mountain hilly terrain somewhere. Digging deep and seeing what you find. Ya might even find oil, anything is possible.

These places do exist and the property owners are unaware of what they have.

That is actually my final fast lane plan. I come to realize 99.50% of you will not even begin to pursue that sort of thing. Therefore I do not mind disclosing that sort of information anymore.
Raw Materials are the key to being a BILLIONARE.
Ever watch the Beverly Hill Billies? :p

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Its not really news its been going on for a few years.

Not to long after we invaded the Chinese set up shop, and are making a killing.

We waste our blood and treasure supplying security and the Chinese make the money.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
From ZERO HEDGE:

There’s a great deal of chatter in the press and online about the tremendous US$1-trillion-dollar mineral “discovery” in Afghanistan headlined by The New York Times recently. Most of the discussion seems to centre on whether or not this is really news and whether or not the NYT was played by the powers that be for purposes of their own.

Few, if any, people seem to be questioning the value of the so-called discovery itself. The US$1-trillion-dollar figure, at best, cannot be anything more than the wildest of hopeful guesses. One does not have to be a geologist or an engineer to understand why. When geologists find outcropping mineralization, or other signs that an economic deposit of minerals may be present, that is not called a discovery.

Even if the signs come from the latest scientific equipment flown over the country, as the U.S. government appears to have used, the result is still just an anomaly: a hopeful indication of where to look. And anomalies are like opinions: Everybody has one.

Once an anomaly is identified, it takes extensive and very expensive field work to determine the best locations for drilling holes in the ground, which you have to do to calculate a volume of mineralized rock, from which you can estimate the metal contained. It usually takes at least a year, and often several, to identify targets for drilling. And drilling off a deposit of any significant size takes several more years, usually after many false starts and setbacks, because you can’t see through rock to know where the goods are.

In short, until you know how much it would cost to mine and process any sort of mineralized material into a saleable product, like gold bars, copper concentrate, etc., you cannot say what it’s worth. Even a huge deposit of gold may be completely worthless if the grade is low and there’s lots of carbon that would mess up the gold recovery.

Now, back to Afghanistan. A “small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists” cannot possibly have drilled off these deposits, let alone done the engineering required to value them. At very best, they’ve spotted some outcrops and taken some samples. This is not a discovery — no serious exploration geologist would call anything a discovery until enough holes have been drilled into it to outline a significant volume of potentially economic material.

No responsible geologist would circulate a valuation figure at this stage of the process in Afghanistan. In fact, if a public company put out a press release like this story in the NYT, the exchange would likely reprimand it severely and require a retraction.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
This is old so my memory may be off but I beleive the Chinese are mining copper and some other metals. Probably oil to.

Our military is providing a lot of security for them, because the Afghans naturaly are not to thrilled by this.

The Chinese are also "colonizing" large chunks of Africa and no one in this country seems to care or is talking about it.

I know the NYT's is pretty much a worthless rag at this point, but come on this is pretty bad.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.