The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Now imagine yourself in this situation..."

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
* Warning: This is not another " should i go to college or not" thread.

You are 16 years old and live in the United States. Excellent grades and the odds are in your favor of getting into a good college. You've always believed the old saying of " stay in school, work hard, and eventually you will get nice high paying job."

All of a sudden.... BOOM! something so unexpected and out of your reach happens.

The economic crisis of 2009. Your parents are losing their jobs and the struggle becomes real.

Their option? Return to their home country where they can at least survive during this difficult period of time.

Now there you are 16 years old in a completely different country. You manage to adapt to the local culture and work hard enough to become one of the best in your class abroad as well.

You get into a good college in this new country when another thing happens....

Fasto forward: Your parents decide to move back since the economy got "better "

You are now stuck with living in this new country or returning to the USA with the hopes of carrying out the life you envisioned when you were a teen and working towards your goal...

Some time has passed ( 20 yo) and you take the risk and go... colleges are expensive, the burocratic system of admissions will most likely allow you to study after a year or two of pure hassle. Chances are... you may wind up not even going to school at all.

What would you do? How important is college for you. How important is the the place in which you live in?

In one country you will get a free ride to college and certain skills may be in your favor so you have a higher chance of landing a better job than the locals ( Jobs aren't your main focus though... you want to be an entrepreneur!) You may also carry out an extremely comfortable lifestyle if you are sucessfull with currency arbitrage ( live in this country but earn your money in dollars through online methods. Similar method as seen in 4HWW and "nomadic" entrepreneurs that live abroad and earn their money through freelancing.) Therefore, if you are successfull with an online business venture, you will live wonderfully.

In another... you risk not even going to school. And if you do, you might acquire student debt. However, this country offers "better living conditions". In this country, becoming " location independent" may be higher due to the high cost of living. But starting a business may be easier and your location may be favorable for networking purposes.

The choice is yours, you decide.

I look forward to hearing your anwers. Has anyone on the forum ever carried out a "digital nomad" lifestyle?

Best regards,

TM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
GO TO COLLAGE! HELL YEA!
Dude I'm sure that you are the 16 yo kid in the story. You write about college if it was your greatest enemy. You answered your question yourself.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
GO TO COLLAGE! HELL YEA!
Dude I'm sure that you are the 16 yo kid in the story. You write about college if it was your greatest enemy. You answered your question yourself.

Sorry, I forgot to edit the age part. " time has passed..." haha

I'm 21 with a year of college under my belt.

However... college would be abroad.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
To me, it heavily depends on the "home country". If it isn't a prosperous country in terms of business success potential, I'd say no anytime.

To live in a place that limits potential success is very stressful. The idea is the same as the Lamborghini in a garage, or perhaps, a bird in a cage. Having the potential to fly, but being restricted by circumstances that are mostly unalterable is maybe the worst experience one can have. Especially when you can see the others who are flying, even when being less skillful than yourself(have in mind the sentence has a metaphoric meaning). Considering where I am now, I'd do anything to get a chance to move US.

So, my answer would be moving to US, definitely. :)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
But like I said... I didn't want this to come off as a " go to college or not thread"

I wanted to see

* The different view points of people on how much they value where they live.
* How important is it to be in a certain country / city in order for them to be successfull.. or.. has the internet changed and their online contact been their main methods of networking and promotion their products or services.
* Their opinions on living in the USA if they have lived abroad.
* Has anyone ever lived abroad and carried out the "digital nomad" lifestyle with their fastlane business?

I would like to bring up those types of questions and more to the table. The college thing however, could also be a topic to consider given that it is under a differecnt context (study abroad)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
To me, it heavily depends on the "home country". If it isn't a prosperous country in terms of business success potential, I'd say no anytime.

To live in a place that limits potential success is very stressful. The idea is the same as the Lamborghini in a garage, or perhaps, a bird in a cage. Having the potential to fly, but being restricted by circumstances that are mostly unalterable is maybe the worst experience one can have. Especially when you can see the others who are flying, even when being less skillful than yourself(have in mind the sentence has a metaphoric meaning). Considering where I am now, I'd do anything to get a chance to move US.

So, my answer would be moving to US, definitely. :)

Thank you for the reply Darko Jocic. May I ask where you are from?

The U.S. also has its own issues (which some are pretty big). So at times it can be quite confusing.

Where i'm from, its not as bad as many countries but its not the best either. There is a chance to prosper there as well.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Thiago Machado
No problem. I'm from Serbia. Most people don't know it exists. It also has a "bad" reputation, thanks to foreign media. You might remember it from the recent floods.

I also wanted to add that, if, for example, someone would like to do business online, a thing to watch out for is a tax treaty. It's a treaty made between countries to avoid double taxation. If there is no such treaty, total tax payment could grow to 60% of the royalties. With a reasonable tax solution, such as this treaty, internet business could prosper anywhere in the world, assuming one has a computer and an internet connection.

Working with physical products is also trickier if you're in a small country. By small I mean non-prosperous, unpopular, etc. Software can much more easily be "transported".

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Yes, I've heard of Serbia. However, However, I do not possess much knowledge on the country and the people's way of life.

Thanks for the tax treaty tip. I will definately look into that.

You mentioned that "software can much more easily be transported". By any chance do you work with software? A developer I assume?

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Depends on what type of college you want to go, but as I've said you answered it yourself.
If you don't want to go to college then don't go and build your business empire! Be your own boss, don't rely on other people's decisions!

@MJ DeMarco Please make a subforum where people talk about college. rofl

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Yes, I've heard of Serbia. However, However, I do not possess much knowledge on the country and the people's way of life.

Thanks for the tax treaty tip. I will definately look into that.

You mentioned that "software can much more easily be transported". By any chance do you work with software? A developer I assume?

Yes and no. Not yet at least. I did go into development before, game development particularly, and I could probably do something with that knowledge now, but it's not a fastlane. Since I can't really do anything that would induce huge interest. The gaming industry is the property of the big name companies.

When I wrote "software", it was more of an example, but generally, the way to surpass geographical barriers would be to work with digital information.

So, I could be a developer, because I had interest in the field, hence learning a lot of stuff, but no, I don't work as a developer at the moment. Hope that explains it.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@MJ DeMarco Please make a subforum where people talk about college. rofl

I knew something like this was coming lol! Like I said before; I hope I didn't make the thread come off as a college related question. College just happens to be in the context, but the main focus would be about living abroad.

Thanks for the tips though, I greatly appreciate it!

TM

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Yes and no. Not yet at least. I did go into development before, game development particularly, and I could probably do something with that knowledge now, but it's not a fastlane. Since I can't really do anything that would induce huge interest. The gaming industry is the property of the big name companies.

When I wrote "software", it was more of an example, but generally, the way to surpass geographical barriers would be to work with digital information.

So, I could be a developer, because I had interest in the field, hence learning a lot of stuff, but no, I don't work as a developer at the moment. Hope that explains it.

Explained it perfectly. Thanks man!

Have you ever had any experiences abroad? Or have you always lived in Serbia?

TM

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Let me guess your parents moved you back to Mexico? My parents are from Mexico and not even they want to go back there. The US is like 100 times better, I don't care what anyone says! America is no. 1! F*ck yeah!

But anyway, I was in a similar situation except I didn't move anywhere. I came into adulthood at the best time ever, 2007! Went to school for 2 or 3 years (memories are too fuzzy for some reason so don't know how long for sure). I was always good in school but I never like it. Obviously I didn't get anything out of it. I did learn however that if you end a sentence with quotation marks, the period goes INSIDE the quotation marks; "like this." VERY COOL!!!

I had grants and scholarships so I was practically being paid to go to school. But I left because my intention was never to be an employee. It was always to be an entrepreneur. I knew that as soon as I graduated I would have to get a job. Perhaps as an engineer. I would make good money. Drive my nice fancy BMW or Mercedes. Get married, get a nice home in a nice neighborhood and have my 2.3 children. I would be well off but I would never own an exotic car or fancy yacht until I was 50 or so, If I were lucky! That life didn't interest me.

My family still gives me shit some times. Saying I wasted a good opportunity and that kids in other countries would kill themselves for what I had. But why should I live a life just because some under privileged people covet it? That's their dream not mine.

But like I said, I wasn't getting anything out of it. I was confident in my abilities, and I decided to start my own business instead. I wasn't going to be guilted into going back. I'm a software engineer. I have the same qualifications as a graduate, and all of my expertise comes from work experience. I can get a job if I want to but I choose to take the road less traveled. I haven't lived a digital nomad lifestyle YET. I'm working on that. I'm planning on travel hacking a year long trip soon.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Thiago Machado
I have pretty much always lived in Serbia. Spending a few months abroad doesn't really count as living, does it? I still have never been to any "Significant" places.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Let me guess your parents moved you back to Mexico? My parents are from Mexico and not even they want to go back there. The US is like 100 times better, I don't care what anyone says! America is no. 1! F*ck yeah!.

Hey rcdlopez,

No, I'm from Brazil. And yes, the US is better lol.

Seems like you got here right on time then! At what age did you start to learn your craft? Have you ever had a "job" working for someone else in your field or did you start off as an entrepreneur? I'm assuming if you did land one without the degree, how were you able to get your foot in the door even with all the strict requirements now a days and you were "young" Im guessing?

From your answers I'm pretty much assuming many things so please correct me if I'm wrong.

It was great to here from you.

Thanks for the feedback

Best regard,

Thiago.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Are you viewing this as becoming a "big fish in a small pond" or "little fish in a big pond" dilemma? Trying to choose one over the other?

Hey, jon.a

You brought up a very good question that I actually forgot to place in the text above.

Yes. I do have the potential to become the big fish in the small pond. Currently I am going to school and majoring in advertising with a focus on digital media and my country is slowly picking up on this. There aren't that many people with vast experiencie and knowledge on online marketing SEO and etc. Its still a "baby" over here.

If I start now, chances are I'll most likely be able to become a big fish in a small pond in the local area AT LEAST by providing specific services. Another method would be by creating an online fastlane business because I have seen a couple of oppotunities that have not been picked up here so far.

In my case at least, the truth is, opportunities are everywhere! But sometimes, we tend to get a "foggy vision" of things when they don't go our way. At times, this can leave us in an uncomfortable state of mind when faced with big and impacting decisions.

Many people have a problem of seeing the positive side of a negative situation. Some are able to transform their negative experiences into a window of opportunities.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
At what age did you start to learn your craft?

I have pretty much been a nerd since I was a kid. I started off in the deep end of the pool with computers. When I was in junior high I loved video games but I was always the poor kid who never got consoles until the next generation came out. I didn't get a N64 until the gamecube was out and I didn't get the gamecube until the Wii came out. Always 6 years behind.

In order to keep up with my friends, I had to be clever. When I was like 12 or 13 I heard about modchips and I became OBSESSED with them. When I discovered I can pirate any game I wanted I knew I would instantly be the coolest kid in school, lol. I risked the very few consoles I had in order to learn how to modify them. After many F*ck ups I eventually learned how to do that and started a little business in high school modding friends' consoles for money. I practically had a monopoly in school so everyone came to me if they wanted that service.

That's how I learned about computers by messing with video game consoles. I learned what the bios were in a PC, how to create FTP servers, what compilers where and how to homebrew your own programs for the Xbox. Eventually I got bored of that and after high school started a computer support business like every nerd.

Then one day a client asked if I could build a job search website for his new business. I said I could, even though I couldn't. And that's how I got into LAMP stack development and eventually into learning other computer languages.

Have you ever had a "job" working for someone else in your field or did you start off as an entrepreneur? I'm assuming if you did land one without the degree, how were you able to get your foot in the door even with all the strict requirements now a days and you were "young" Im guessing?

I worked for several tech companies in Los Angeles and the way I got those jobs was by the amount of experience and INDISPUTABLE evidence I had that showcased my knowledge. Most programming jobs test you for competency and I admit sometimes I was clueless as F*ck. But every time I bombed a programming test, I would learn about everything I was clueless about. I implemented everything I learned in my own entrepreneurial projects and when the next interview came I had a physical product to show the employer. Anytime I got pwned by someone who knew more about programming than me, I would take it as a cue to learn more. In the end its about what you HAVE done that gets you the job.

Everything I learned has been online and through working with others so when the time came to speak geek I was able to do it. I've also interviewed many people for my own projects and so I know what employers look for too.

All in all, if you can throw a mean roundhouse kick AND have the trophies to show for it, you don't need a black belt to F*ck someone up!

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
All in all, if you can throw a mean roundhouse kick AND have the trophies to show for it, you don't need a black belt to F*ck someone up!

Hahahahah! This had me laughing for a while! So true!

Thats great bro! Im glad to hear on your success!

Now I hate to make this sound like an interview, but what would you recommend for someone like me that wants to know AT LEAST the basics?

*BTW I love modded video games! A money saver! haha!

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I wanted to learn how to program / code. Is there any specific language you recommend I learn first?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
For me:
Travel. Make money. Why get a degree unless thats the bandage I want to wear for a lifetime?
There is some sense in "if you suffer its better to suffer at the top end", which is the slowlane mindset, but if the country sucks that you end up in I'd consider taking the weight of a few mistakes.

Its not easy anywhere.
Depends what is useful to you.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
For me:
Travel. Make money. Why get a degree unless thats the bandage I want to wear for a lifetime?
There is some sense in "if you suffer its better to suffer at the top end", which is the slowlane mindset, but if the country sucks that you end up in I'd consider taking the weight of a few mistakes.

Its not easy anywhere.
Depends what is useful to you.

Makes sense! Thanks!

This reminds me a lot of a blog in which I follow. Its called " bold and determined". The guy makes money online, is always traveling and lives in thailand like a king. Yet, if he were to live there and earn the same wages as the locals, this definately wouldn't be the case. It's like you said: " it depends what is useful to you". In this guys case, living in a " third world" country was the best decision he ever made lol.

Just out of curiosity Rouge: Where have you traveled too? Were you earning money online while traveling?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Just out of curiosity Rouge: Where have you traveled too? Were you earning money online while traveling?
Mostly europe
Freelanced and hustled
Will set up a biz soon

I don't regret it, but its not like it isn't scary doing that and trying to build skills to be a biz wiz.

Its more just, everything you do involves risk, even doing nothing, and sometimes to do a bolder thing has better odds for you in that situation.
Just don't dig a hole, keep smart.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.