The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Now I'm Starting To See What It's Like To Be MJ

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I just got in on the Red-Eye to spend a few days back in Chicago with some family members that I won't see again for a while(brother, sis-in-law, my wife's family) as well as my mom, who will be driving back down to PHX with us.

I should be sleeping, but instead I'm working on learning how to work my customizable Wordpress templates and doing some trial and error on my site(see sig) so that I can implement these similar changes when we build our company website(which is already up, but only a bare template for now).

It's not quite the countless hours MJ did reviewing line after line of code, but it's just another example of getting something done while most others would say "it's a holiday, take a break", I'm taking the opportunity with everyone else still asleep to fill my gas tank with knowledge knowing that the more I work now the less I'll have to work 5-10yrs from now :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Dude, your link is broken.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/www.clintmasser.com

Edit: I see your oodle.com complaint, are you building a clone with wordpress? My advice: don't.

I just got in on the Red-Eye to spend a few days back in Chicago with some family members that I won't see again for a while(brother, sis-in-law, my wife's family) as well as my mom, who will be driving back down to PHX with us.

I should be sleeping, but instead I'm working on learning how to work my customizable Wordpress templates and doing some trial and error on my site(see sig) so that I can implement these similar changes when we build our company website(which is already up, but only a bare template for now).

It's not quite the countless hours MJ did reviewing line after line of code, but it's just another example of getting something done while most others would say "it's a holiday, take a break", I'm taking the opportunity with everyone else still asleep to fill my gas tank with knowledge knowing that the more I work now the less I'll have to work 5-10yrs from now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Oops, just fixed the link, not sure why it had www.thefastlaneforum. in front of it.

As far as Oodle, I'm not building an ad site, the site in my sig is a personal blog, however, I am using the Wordpress techniques learned with it to build a commercial website for our business, a tax preparation firm that we are currently building up but have plans to build into a franchise operation.

As far as tactics I need to learn in the next few days:
-How to manually back-up Files and Databases for WP(so that I can upgrade to the latest version)... I know I can just purchase Backup Buddy, I'd prefer to know this for myself as opposed to depending on a service to do it for me, but once I can justify pumping more money into the site I'll definitely start automating processes like these
-How to incorporate the Social Media Icons into my customized header
-How to adjust the size and location of the search bar
-Adding other sidebars(post calendar, recent posts, etc)

I'm using the Builder theme from iThemes which came highly recommended as it is fully customizable, however, it has a learning curve which I'm willing to take on as I want to be versatile with our business page in the sense that we want it to look bigger than it is at first(so we can provide that SUCS customer service), but ultimately grow the business to the level it is perceived through a professional website.

A

Anon3587x

Yeah working out the code can be frustrating. I'm getting to the point where I can type something out and someone behind me is just like what the F*ck does all that mean? It's all ABC's to me

I'm going to become the dynamic website creating master and flex everyone out.

Soon enough...

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Oops, just fixed the link, not sure why it had www.thefastlaneforum. in front of it.

As far as Oodle, I'm not building an ad site, the site in my sig is a personal blog, however, I am using the Wordpress techniques learned with it to build a commercial website for our business, a tax preparation firm that we are currently building up but have plans to build into a franchise operation.

As far as tactics I need to learn in the next few days:
-How to manually back-up Files and Databases for WP(so that I can upgrade to the latest version)... I know I can just purchase Backup Buddy, I'd prefer to know this for myself as opposed to depending on a service to do it for me, but once I can justify pumping more money into the site I'll definitely start automating processes like these
-How to incorporate the Social Media Icons into my customized header
-How to adjust the size and location of the search bar
-Adding other sidebars(post calendar, recent posts, etc)

I'm using the Builder theme from iThemes which came highly recommended as it is fully customizable, however, it has a learning curve which I'm willing to take on as I want to be versatile with our business page in the sense that we want it to look bigger than it is at first(so we can provide that SUCS customer service), but ultimately grow the business to the level it is perceived through a professional website.

Just download automatic upgrade or whatever its called, its a free plugin. Otherwise, dump the database from phpmyadmin and copy all the files over FTP. Or just use a backup service to mirror your server, those things are not things worth spending time on. Focus on the programming portion if that is what you are into, eventually the shell programming/navigation will fall into place as you need it.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
I downloaded it to my test subdomain, however, it says it's only compatible up to WP 2.7.1 and since my test page is current, I'll have to wait until 3.0.4 comes out to try it.

I'll try the other tip you mentioned though. Thanks and have a Merry Xmas!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
First of all. Congratulation on taking action!

For upgrading new WordPress. There is a new feature to upgrade automatically since version 2.9.2.

For older version you can export your blog post and import them use the following plugin.
WordPress › WordPress Importer « WordPress Plugins

You can also use the following plugin to backup your Wordpress database.
WordPress Database Backup – Austin Matzko's Blog

However, you will have to copy all uploaded content manually.

I am learning a new PHP framework for my new project. It may seem ridiculous to spend time over the holiday, but that's what you pay for your future!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Chris- I got too caught up in making adjustments to the theme to work on the backups, but now it's almost finished.

Only adjustments left are to probably change the font and color of the text in the Header Image and further re-position the Social Media links either directly above the header(now it's about 50px above) or within it.

IMO though that looks pretty darn good for an absolute noob with little to no HTML/CSS knowledge and limited experience with Wordpress

First of all. Congratulation on taking action!

For upgrading new WordPress. There is a new feature to upgrade automatically since version 2.9.2.

Does this upgrade while retaining all the content/changes or do I need to backup/restore?

You can also use the following plugin to backup your Wordpress database.
WordPress Database Backup – Austin Matzko's Blog

However, you will have to copy all uploaded content manually.

I am learning a new PHP framework for my new project. It may seem ridiculous to spend time over the holiday, but that's what you pay for your future!

I downloaded this plug-in, haven't activated it yet, but from the sounds of it, it only backs up the Database, the Files need to be done manually, right?

I also found out from Kerry that Host Gator automatically backs up all Files/Databases every Sun, is this true? And if so, how does this affect my need for any plug-ins or manual backups?

And your last comment says it all. It's tough because part of being successful is having a balance between personal/professional lives, but considering I've been out of work for 10 months and in that time I was spinning my wheels and talking without much action, I'm basically making up for lost time ;)

That's why I'm glad I'm working on this at 2:31 AM while everyone else is sleeping so it doesn't cut into family time :)

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Clint:

Yes. The plugin only backup the databsae. You will have to manually backup all your uploaded content.

HostGator's weekly backup only backup once a week. In other words, if something happen, you will lose a week of data. I have never had any problem with any hosting provider that lost data.

The plugin allows you to backup on your own schedule. daily, weekly or monthly. It can also send the zipped backup file to your email box.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Sorry for still sounding like a noob, but I believe the only uploaded content I have is 18 posts, 45 media(image/video) uploads and the plug-ins- is this all I need to backup as far as files or is there more?

And thanks again for your help and Merry Xmas!

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If you want full backup, here is what you need to do.

• Use the WordPress Database backup plugin to automatically backup your database file and email to you.
  • Use FTP program to download all your WordPress files (I mean everything) the first time.
  • Use FTP program to download all your uploaded content under wp-uploads folder.
  • Use FTP program to download all your themes and plugins from wp-content/plugins and wp-content/themes folder.

I do full backup only once every 6 months.

Happy Holiday!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.