The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No retirement fund for me- $30k into my fastlane business plan

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
I worked hard at my day job and affiliate marketing to save USD $30k to use for a business venture. This was not fun or easy. I'm nearing 30 years of age and I've rejected the path that most of my peers have taken because it looks like an incredibly boring life, and I am easily bored. My goal is an international, mobile lifestyle. I am putting my net worth on the line for the chance to obtain this freedom.

My main requirements for a business model were continuity (recurring monthly fees), a medium-large market with moderate competition, high profit margins, and simple exit strategy. I also needed every aspect of the business to be integrated and automated so I can run it from my smartphone anywhere in the world.

My plan is to sell a nutritional supplement that people use daily via a free trial continuity program. This is when you get to try the product for the cost of shipping and then two weeks later you are shipped another item at full retail if you don’t cancel. I’ll be very upfront about this to customers and make canceling easy. To be successful, the product has to be effective enough that most people want to take it every day.

My mid-term goal is 7,000 monthly subscribers at a very conservatively estimated $30 profit per person. I don't have any partners, so that's $210,000/month for me. As MJ says, "life changing". The US market for this product is estimated to be 20 million people according to industry journals. My short term goal is to sell the first bottle!

I'm going to document what I've done for my own benefit and possibly others. I've been working on this for about six months and there is a lot to it, so please bear with me.

1. Created a LLC. Used it to create a business bank account at local bank with individual loan officer capacity of $800k.
2. Identified target market. Researched numbers and competitors.
3. Thunk up a legit formula.
4. Got quotes from several manufacturers. Target markup for the retail bottle was 6x-8x. Squeezed mine in at 6x, which will improve thanks to economies of scale.
5. Went with the company that gave me the most personal attention and had the best reputation. The minimum order for a custom formulation was 1,000 bottles (+/- 10% [industry standard]). $8k+$1k label design ($4k due up front)
6. Hired a US web designer to create my version of the biggest competitor's website and landing page. Studied copy writing, marketing, and landing page optimization (ongoing studies, always). Traffic conversion was the goal of every reasonable aspect of design and copy. $5k
7. Got recommendations from this forum for shipping and storage(~$8/piece but really TBD) and call center ($500 no refund deposit, $0.79/minute), 800 number ($70) and Grasshopper to direct calls ($30/month ).
8. Got recommendations for a cart system from the call center. This was especially important because of the continuity aspect of my business which is not easily achievable with the mainstream cart systems and CRMs. Ultracart was the final choice. ($50/month)

I am currently waiting for the first order to finish, which is about 10 weeks past schedule due to a variety of delays, including but not limited to hurricane sandy. Typically custom nutraceutical production takes 10 weeks for the first order and 6 weeks for re-orders. From what I understand, this is normal.

I plan to spend the largest % of my startup money on marketing- about $10k. I will expand into all avenues of media, free and paid, as aggressively as the budget allows. I believe that complicated systems of finding and managing customers are necessary for maximum profit and minimum competition. This is what I’m going to start with:

1. Found a provider of targeted website traffic to send to the landing page.
2. Found a list broker with a good reputation to get a highly targeted mailing list. I will mail sales letters optimized for conversions to 1000 people to start, and another letter to the same list about two weeks later. I will buy more names from the list if the response rate is good, or find another list.
3. With the website traffic generated from these efforts, I will get a control (baseline conversion rate) for the landing page and start A/B testing to increase conversions as much as possible.
4. Reinvest all profits into marketing. Scale up and diversify efforts as quickly as possible.

My profit plan:
1. Several years of positive cash flow. Outside funding as needed to scale up.
2. Possibly a couple more products.
3. Profitable sale of the company, once the valuation is large enough.

There has been a huge learning curve to all of this. There are SO MANY new things to learn and put together, but a strong barrier to entry is a good sign!

Most people I know don’t know what I’m doing. This is because I don’t know anyone who has done this kind of thing before so their input would be speculation and likely counterproductive. As most entrepreneurs quickly learn, the rest of the world might think we are crazy or foolish. A mentor would be really awesome but I've done my best to base all my decisions so far on careful research and the bottom line ($$$).

I'm a very optimistic person, but the worst case scenario is if the product is not effective. I've used high quality components that are supported by lots of empirical and anecdotal evidence to try to minimize the odds of failure. I've also run the formula by a physician friend of mine, who endorses it. At this point I am basically putting all my trust in the manufacturer to deliver a product that is what I ordered (I will have it tested by a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party lab). The only way to really see if a new formula works is to run a clinical trial, or bring it to market, and only one of those has the potential to create profit. I've only got the cash for one choice so I am rolling the dice. In any case, I’m not too worried, because even clearanced out prices will likely recover some or all of my principle. BUT I am betting that it will work, obviously!

Thank you for reading what I've done so far. I will update this thread with my progress. I would be grateful for any advice, comments, or questions from any of my fellow fastlaners.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Great plan!

Did you do research to see if your target market wanted this?

Do you know your demographic?? It will save you a lot of money on marketing.

The only thing I would have changed is the process.... I would have made a proof of concept... proved that there was a market for this... with someone else's product before jumping fully in.

Great plan, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated! :)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Did you do research to see if your target market wanted this?

If the answer is yes, I am sure a lot of us would love to hear a little bit about how you tested the market.

Great effort so far!

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
Thanks for the comments everyone. I wish I had been more patient and tested my landing page before dropping the dough for manufacturing, but I did not. There are a couple of competitors and I've emulated the most successful landing pages closely. The only difference is the ingredients in my product, and my (probably flawed) logic was that if they are selling millions in this niche then I can be successful with a product that is equally or more effective, as long as my marketing, business plan, and landing page is sound. Also, I wanted to get started, and I just can't believe that the results of a sign up test, even if negative, would dissuade me from going forward with this idea. BUT I should have and it would have been nice to see first. So that is my excuse for not testing, and I don't think it will be this venture's undoing, but I know it was reckless. I do have a fairly specific target demographic that I think will be most likely to purchase.

After talking with a very helpful member of this forum, I've decided to go with affiliate sales for my small $10k advertising budget. I expect to pay ~$50 for each customer and make a profit after 45 days from the purchase of the free trial. I will then reinvest this profit into more affiliate marketing and repeat.

In other news, I'm still waiting on the resolution of a manufacturer defect in the lids. Once they give me the word, I have to wire them $4k for the remaining half due. I'm going to ask for a discount because they are 3 months past schedule! Granted I had special order containers and obscure ingredients. I forgot to mention they are providing $1m liability insurance through their policy, after I requested it.

I will then enter the final dimensions and weight into the fulfillment center's online system so that they will accept the shipment from the manufacturer. This required me to watch about two hours of webinars from the fulfillment company to get an idea of how to do.

A few questions I am researching now:

I have to get some conversion stats on my landing page before affiliates will consider partnering. I'm guessing this means paying for traffic and a screenshot of google analytics e-commerce data. Anybody have any experience with this that would like to share?

Should I pay the affiliates a smaller sum for the free trial and then a monthly sum for each continued month for a year to encourage high quality customers?

I need lots of payment processors because I am likely to lose many from chargebacks. I am thinking of sending a reminder email before the second shipment (first retail priced shipment) to try to reduce chargebacks. However this will definitely reduce my free to paid conversions. Any input on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks for following, I will keep this thread updated as progress is made.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I gave you speed for taking this action.

I wish I had been more patient and tested my landing page before dropping the dough for manufacturing, but I did not.
Are you testing it right now? What have you found so far?

I do have a fairly specific target demographic that I think will be most likely to purchase.
How do you find them?
Is there a forum where they meet online?
What are you gonna do so they buy from you and not the competitors?

Have you reach out to your customer base and ask them what they want to see in your product? Anything they feel is missing from the current offerings? Any reason for them to switch from those companies to yours?

There are a couple of competitors and I've emulated the most successful landing pages closely. The only difference is the ingredients in my product, and my (probably flawed) logic was that if they are selling millions in this niche then I can be successful with a product that is equally or more effective, as long as my marketing, business plan, and landing page is sound.
So are your competitors also selling under a continuity model?

What if you sell your product as one-off as well, so you offer something different than them?

Please keep up with the updates.

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
I gave you speed for taking this action.

Are you testing it right now? What have you found so far?

I am not testing the landing page now. I probably won't because I have limited money for traffic and I'm expecting to go live any day now... but I will consider it.

How do you find them?
Is there a forum where they meet online?
What are you gonna do so they buy from you and not the competitors?

They fit in the 40-70 year old age range, with similar hobbies and interests and of an income >$150K/yr. That is a great idea re: forums. I am researching that now and hopefully can get some high quality traffic. I'm going to spend the bulk of my budget on affiliate partnerships but first I need to direct some traffic there to get a conversion record to get high quality affiliates.

Have you reach out to your customer base and ask them what they want to see in your product? Anything they feel is missing from the current offerings? Any reason for them to switch from those companies to yours?

I don't have any customers yet or current offerings. But I was sure to create a product with a USP (unique sales proposition) and draw attention to the differences and advantages over my competitors on my landing page and website.

So are your competitors also selling under a continuity model?

What if you sell your product as one-off as well, so you offer something different than them?

Please keep up with the updates.

This is also a good idea and one that I will implement. My current plan is to have it available for purchase on my website at retail price, and perhaps with a small discount if they subscribe to auto-order without the free trial.

My goal for this business model is a hybrid of an all out supplement free-trial-continuity deal and a product that people are happy to have in their lives and recommend to their friends. I also have many physician contacts that I would like to be able to market through, so the product needs to be legit as well as get $$$.

I think that this approach will result in greatest customer retention and profit potential.

Thank you for your great questions, the rep speed, and advice I can implement. I will definitely keep this thread updated.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
A few questions I am researching now:

I have to get some conversion stats on my landing page before affiliates will consider partnering. I'm guessing this means paying for traffic and a screenshot of google analytics e-commerce data. Anybody have any experience with this that would like to share?

Should I pay the affiliates a smaller sum for the free trial and then a monthly sum for each continued month for a year to encourage high quality customers?

I need lots of payment processors because I am likely to lose many from chargebacks. I am thinking of sending a reminder email before the second shipment (first retail priced shipment) to try to reduce chargebacks. However this will definitely reduce my free to paid conversions. Any input on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks for following, I will keep this thread updated as progress is made.

Have you looked at being an advertiser on CPA (cost per acquisition) networks? I have promoted free trial cpa campaigns offers before.

There is the possibility of 100,000 publisher (affiliates) promoting your offer. I know that peerfly does not charge monthly fees for their advertiser services and they offer tools to help with traffic. I am not sure what their start up costs, I've looked into it before but can't remember. Check out Max Bounty, Peer Fly and other networks. Click their advertiser section and shoot them an email or get in contact with them. Alternatively, you will probably just want to do some of the media buying on websites yourself.

To your success.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I see you answering a lot of pretty important, key questions with "I don't know (yet)"
Two things you might consider:

1. Reading material: Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers
Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers: Alexander Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur: 9780470876411: Amazon.com: Books

Business Model Generation is a handbook for visionaries, game changers, and challengers striving to defy outmoded business models and design tomorrow's enterprises. If your organization needs to adapt to harsh new realities, but you don't yet have a strategy that will get you out in front of your competitors, you need Business Model Generation.
Co-created by 470 "Business Model Canvas" practitioners from 45 countries, the book features a beautiful, highly visual, 4-color design that takes powerful strategic ideas and tools, and makes them easy to implement in your organization. It explains the most common Business Model patterns, based on concepts from leading business thinkers, and helps you reinterpret them for your own context. You will learn how to systematically understand, design, and implement a game-changing business model--or analyze and renovate an old one. Along the way, you'll understand at a much deeper level your customers, distribution channels, partners, revenue streams, costs, and your core value proposition.

Business Model Generation features practical innovation techniques used today by leading consultants and companies worldwide, including 3M, Ericsson, Capgemini, Deloitte, and others. Designed for doers, it is for those ready to abandon outmoded thinking and embrace new models of value creation: for executives, consultants, entrepreneurs, and leaders of all organizations. If you're ready to change the rules, you belong to "the business model generation!"

2. Udacity: Steve Blank - How to Build a Startup (EP245)

Udacity - How to Build a Startup Course (EP245)

Good luck.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011

I am not too familiar with the requirements of affiliate marketers, but below is a screenshot of google analytics data. There are only 3 pages on this website

1- As you can see, the homepage (top column, "/") received 199 page views. On this page, the only link is for a 'download now' button.So they either get the product, or they bounce off the page.
2- Page #2 (I erased the exact URL for my own privacy reasons), is the page they go to after they complete their order. That page received 39 views.

So out of the 199 times the homepage was viewed, 39 people purchased my product. - This right here shows on a smaller scale to affiliate marketers "If I drive 199 people to his website, 39 people will purchase the product, and I will receive $xxxx.xx"

3- Page 3 is irrelevant, I was just hosting something else on there.

Google_Analytics.jpg

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
Stu Hefner-
Awesome advice about CPA, thanks. I am checking out peerfly and clickbooth now. What did customers end up costing you with your free trial ventures on peerfly or on other CPA networks?

Skys-
Thanks for your input, I went ahead and ordered "Business Model Generation". It will come in on Wednesday. There's no kindle edition, apparently because of the diagrams. Thanks for the recommendations.

AndrewNC-
Thanks for the screenshots. That is what I'm thinking prospective JV's will want to see, but it may not be necessary with the CPA networks.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Stu Hefner-
Awesome advice about CPA, thanks. I am checking out peerfly and clickbooth now. What did customers end up costing you with your free trial ventures on peerfly or on other CPA networks?

Hello, just to be clear, I do not own the products sold as the free trial, I promoted them as an affiliate. That is why I suggested the concept to you. I assumed a lot of your competitors use this method. I promoted a supplement that done a free trial offer for customers and rebilling. The product paid me $30 per free trial sign up. I actually done a media buy campaign privately with a website I thought would convert well and made 700% ROI on the campaign. However, my ad spend was pretty tiny. I might parlay this campaign when my funds are available to advertise.

Now you can imagine having a bunch of affiliates doing this for you around the clock. Awesome leverage.

Good luck. Have you got a response from the networks regarding being an advertiser?

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
Hello, just to be clear, I do not own the products sold as the free trial, I promoted them as an affiliate. That is why I suggested the concept to you. I assumed a lot of your competitors use this method. I promoted a supplement that done a free trial offer for customers and rebilling. The product paid me $30 per free trial sign up. I actually done a media buy campaign privately with a website I thought would convert well and made 700% ROI on the campaign. However, my ad spend was pretty tiny. I might parlay this campaign when my funds are available to advertise.

Now you can imagine having a bunch of affiliates doing this for you around the clock. Awesome leverage.

Good luck. Have you got a response from the networks regarding being an advertiser?

Ok thanks for clarifying. That is an amazing ROI!
I got an email from peerfly:
"Thank you for showing interest in advertising with PeerFly. Unfortunately, we do not feel you are a fit for our program at this time. There are hundreds of new client requests processed each week, and we are currently only focusing on offers that are likely to have consistent traction with our publishers. We wish you the best of luck with your endeavors"

So I think my monthly cap was far too small.

I spoke with a helpful rep from Clickbooth for a while and learned a lot. He said all supplement CPA costs are $45-50 and their "typical" minimum to consider accepting an advertiser is 700 units a week. Well at $50 my max would be 200 units a MONTH = $10,000. Anyway he wanted to look at the landing page and said they might be able to work with me since I am planning on scaling up. He said what could be possible is to run a one time offer of 200 units and then stop, let me make the money back (~2 months) and scale up from there. He is going to run it by his team and get back to me.

I also asked for info from a few more CPA networks without response. I am guessing my budget is too small.

Right now I am setting up the warehouse/fulfillment center to receive my product, because manufacturing is finally finished! They went over in production (they say 10% variance is industry standard) so now I have 1,144 bottles and they charged me per label (not just a label design fee) and would only agree to a $20 (!!!!) discount so my total for the whole project was not $9000 as estimated but $11,000. Not too happy with them considering I had to wait 24 weeks instead of the 8-10 they originally quoted and they are giving out 5% discounts to new orders but wouldn't for me now. They wouldn't budge on that and I guess I can't blame them because what am I going to do at this point? So I will wire them the remainder tomorrow and get this party started.

Started reading "business model generation" yesterday as recommended earlier in this thread by Skys. Very interesting book and clearly would not work on a kindle. The layout is unique and I am not too far in it yet but it looks to be quality content. I will get it knocked out ASAP and hopefully have a better idea of what I am doing here.

Looking forward to the next sixty days and the new year! I will keep this thread updated. Thanks for following.

Ikke

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 20, 2012
Netherlands
That's a bit of a bummer those labels. But it's good to see you're moving forward :thumbsup:

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
just a quick update-
After the bank "forgot" to file my wire transfer, the product finally made it to the fulfillment center Friday. I was able to place an order Saturday. Monday, the rep called me and walked me through a question I had and resolved the issue. And later in the day, my two test orders shipped out and a very nicely written shipping confirmation email with tracking was sent from the company from my customer service email. Nothing but good things to say about Shipwire! The emails were nicer than the ultracart shipping confirmation email, so I turned those emails off. All the ultracart emails are by default a courier font, which looks kind of low end in a professional email correspondence. Otherwise I am very happy with ultracart. It is extremely powerful, but with medium size learning curve.

Call center should have a script done before feb 1, which is the launch date I've set for them and my marketing launch. The web developer is moving slowly due to overbooking himself, so that will teach me to pay the bill only after the work is complete next time because now I have no leverage except to possibly offer him more money. In the meanwhile, I've been studying a lot of old interviews and blog posts about my direct competitor, who is dominating the niche right now after just a couple years. I've learned enough that I think I can emulate + improve on his main marketing tactics.

The book "business model generation" is awesome and it has let me create a visual business model that anyone can understand. It is so much simpler in execution and design compared to writing out a business model. Definitely provides an edge to understand your business and visually represent all the different components to be able to share with others. Very good recommendation by Skys.

So now I have to finish the soft launch marketing campaign in the next 10 days. Basically driving some targeted traffic to see how my site converts and A-B test some stuff before putting bigger money into it. I think I will get the most out of my limited budget this way.

Can't wait to get my first sales! I will update again at that time.

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
OK, still no sales. So what went wrong? My landing page is shit. My checkout funnel looks awful. The few people that click on my shitty banner ads and submit their email leave before purchasing.

Thanks to an experienced member here, I've linked up with a landing page design and copywriting company with a track record of successful offers in my vertical (this was essential). I'm getting a new landing page and shopping cart funnel from them. Also getting them to do the copy writing.

The biggest problem here is that I am a complete noob. I came from an academic and clinical background to try my hand at Internet Marketing. I exploited one niche last year and made 5x my annual income so I thought I knew enough to get this done. The fact is, my total earnings would make any big internet marketer cry if that is what their merchant account deposit was for one day. Turns out I really don't know shit about IM... but I am learning.

So learning the right info takes time and extraordinary effort. Which is why most people aren't rich. If financial independence was easy, every body would do it, right?

The more reading I do, the more I am sure I can pull this off. It's going to take organic funding and slow growth until I get enough numbers to woo a media buy funder.

So it all starts with a bad-a$$ landing page and pro banners for maximum CTR and conversions. A viable offer really all depends on that. That is what I should have invested in to begin with. I would have save so much time and money.

If you are reading this and wondering where to allocate your limited funds, the answer is in your presentation to consumer. There is a reason the box that contains crest white strips costs 4x as much as the white strips themselves. Because that box is a bad-a$$ landing page. You put it in front of clean-teeth oriented people, most of them buy it. Even though its surrounded by 1/2 cost competitors with exactly the same ingredients.

Although I went with a USA web-dev guy with a bad-a$$ looking web portfolio when I started this project, my mistake was that he had not a single successful landing page under his developing belt. So he couldn't possibly come close to the work of conversion experts with 10+ years of IM experience.

This is all a huge learning curve and I am putting myself through school as I go. Yeah I could have gotten an MBA first but wheres the fun in that? And furthermore I highly doubt a MBA would have prevented any of the bullshit I've put myself through due to my ignorance and naivety of IM and e-commerce!

So I am balls to the wall now, All in, this works or I am bankrupt! I will figure it out, and make money. Its not going to come easy or quickly, but yeah, its going to work!

I took action because I wanted to get things done. Getting things done is better than getting things perfect, I thought. Exception: when the things you got done don't work well enough to make you profitable and you have to do them all over and blow thousands in the process!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Man, please let us all know the company you ordered your product from, no one should have to go through that long of a wait period. A six month wait period is absolutely ridiculous, I could've hired 2 workers for $5 an hour and had them hand fill each capsule in that amount of time. I could've then walked the product to you across the entire country and still delivered before them.

There is absolutely no reason you should have 0 sales in 1 month+. No clue what your niche is but sales is number one, I also run a supplement company, my website is probably absolute crap, I have no internet marketing experience and no copywriting experience. The site has still generated sales for me. There are tons of ways to create sales and I think this has to be the focus, like was said above. A great landing page will help but is this truly the problem?

I think the lesson here is to test the concept and dont get in bed with the wrong company.

Did they seriously charge $1,000 for label design? I dont understand how you could pay that much? I hope I have misunderstood that.

I will certainly follow your progress, also if you want to chat more PM me, I dont know that I can help you but like you I started my company early this year and Im sure we are having similar experiences and at similar points in our startups life.

Good Luck!

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
you're focusing on the wrong things. a shitty landing page is not what makes or breaks a business

Even when the business is entirely internet based? I think it could be compared to trying to run a supplement company out of the back of a van. You can put that van in front of everybody walking in the mall with the best product in the world in the back of the van, but how many people will give you a credit card when they can see a upscale GNC store inside the mall?

I've got traffic, a profitable and growing vertical, and I can see at what point people are abandoning the cart. I think they are getting sketched out because the checkout process looks questionable compared to the industry standard.

Could you elaborate on what you think the issue could be?

easystreet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 11, 2011
South Carolina
Man, please let us all know the company you ordered your product from, no one should have to go through that long of a wait period. A six month wait period is absolutely ridiculous, I could've hired 2 workers for $5 an hour and had them hand fill each capsule in that amount of time. I could've then walked the product to you across the entire country and still delivered before them.

There is absolutely no reason you should have 0 sales in 1 month+. No clue what your niche is but sales is number one, I also run a supplement company, my website is probably absolute crap, I have no internet marketing experience and no copywriting experience. The site has still generated sales for me. There are tons of ways to create sales and I think this has to be the focus, like was said above. A great landing page will help but is this truly the problem?

I think the lesson here is to test the concept and dont get in bed with the wrong company.

Did they seriously charge $1,000 for label design? I dont understand how you could pay that much? I hope I have misunderstood that.

I will certainly follow your progress, also if you want to chat more PM me, I dont know that I can help you but like you I started my company early this year and Im sure we are having similar experiences and at similar points in our startups life.

Good Luck!

Ha yeah, it was ridiculous waiting for them for 3x the length of their initial time quote. The company is called Vitakem. The final product looks excellent however. The label design itself was $375, 1,320 labels cost $660, plates (one time fee) were $200, and final proof was $100. So yeah, total was $1k plus for labels this time but to be fair these are pro looking labels, nothing amateur about them. Future orders will be $0.50 per label.

Its not that I've had 0 sales, just very far from 200/day that would really make me happy. My CPA is too high and conversion rate too low. Also I think its important to have a pro looking landing page when looking to scale up. My price point is premium and I think the "look" has got to match.

I am interested to see what you are doing too and I will send you a PM.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Please don't order from that company again. I think my label looks pretty solid and there was no plate fee, or $100 proof. My label costs are .35 or so per label. I dont know what you would call a "pro" label but mine looks good on amazon compared to others I have seen it rates favorably.

I just think after what you have been through with that company and the seemingly nickle and diming they are putting you through you would be crazy to order from them again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.