The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My simple idea--at a bit of a loss what to do next

Idea threads

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
I’ve read Steven Key One Simple Idea and have designed a rough prototype (which I’ve photographed) and drew some extremely basic drawings for a very(!) simple idea I have. I’ve submitted it to various websites like Edison Nation (a site that reviews your idea and if they like it then they produce it and pay your royalties). Also, I am making sure my Plan B (to approach companies on my own) is ready to go if E.N. axes my idea with the goal of getting it licensed. I still have all the rights to my idea UNTIL it gets to their final stage (which is hasn’t); I’d need to at least find out how much is would (roughly) cost to manufacture my widget.

I have my PPA and a NDA all set to go. I contacted roughly 7 manufacturers about two weeks ago…none have gotten back to me.

My question(s): I’m concerned that my drawing/photographs are too basic for a manufacturer to look at it and say ‘Yes! I can make that!†Am I missing a step? Would you recommend that I have a professional artist do a drawing of it?
Since the rare earth magnets are the majority of the cost to make my widget, is that (the cost of magnets) really all I need to know or is it recommended that I know what it costs to produce the entire product (which would then included a few ounces of silicon rubber in addition)?

(side note: I live in an extremely remote corner of the world and I’m snowed in, so I am currently unable to do any face to face interactions with potential manufacturers of any kind).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I don't think you need a professional artist or 3D modeler. Why haven't you been contacting manufacturers/companies who produce a product that is in the same market as your idea? I'm not familiar with Edison Nation...so I can't comment there.

Keep pushing. Contact someone in the same business/field, and see what they think about your idea. You may need several ideas before you come up with a winner. It's hard to say anything as we have no clue what the idea is. I don't think you need to spend any more money on your idea before you validate it.

You could also come up with a minimum viable product, put a simple website, and drive traffic to it and see if anyone "buys."

I hope this helped you.

brighterside

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 10, 2013
Its hard to grasp what your trying to do since there is no picture or even a drawing. Can you post a picture of your widget? Is it being patented?

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
Thank you both JasonR and brighterside for your responses. While I realize that having a PPA on the idea does not necessary protect me from anybody beating me to the market, I'm not terribly keen on posting pics on the thread. If you're gun-ho enough (and no offense taken if you're not), I'd be happy to attach pics to a private message.
Lastly, I am fairly level headed about this 'simple idea' overall. Do I think I might be on to something? Sure...but only sales/companies interest will tell me for sure. And while I'm not betting the farm on this product, I do want to see it through (which for me means contacting various companies about it to see if any of them bite) before I start dabbling on other ideas I have brewing. This is why I need to have a general idea of how much $ it's going to cost to produce X number of units.
Again, thanks for taking the time to respond...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.