The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My baby steps

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Hey guys and gals!

One week ago I finished a small e-book that I co-authored with a friend of mine that we published on Kindle. It was a nice experience so we have in mind to keep finding subjects to write about and I would like this thread to be our journey, where we write our mistakes (and oh boy, they are a lot!), what we learn (we are reading some books that might benefit the members here) and hopefully get an advice or two!

So here we go.

THE MAKING

We are both trainers with an evidence based background so our first e book was an around 40 pages book, on how to lose weight with X tips.

We used merchantwords.com/ to find a good title. Not sure if the numbers are real, but we had nothing to lose. We did our research and found a title that combined some "hot" keywords, at least according to the site.

In the meantime, we were researching the topic, reading studies on nutrition, behavior, biases etc etc. We wanted to get promoted by the coaches and dietitians that support the evidence based approach.

I also read The Boron Letters and continued with Gary Halbert newsletter where I learned a lot. Really helped me with the introduction, the description and some other minor stuff. Always trying to say how something is going to help someone can be really powerful you know?

We decided to hire a professional graphic designer in order to make us a kickass book cover, and damn was it brilliant! She also wanted to try and fill the pages with HD pictures and make the book look as beautiful as possible. She created a phenomenal pdf (keep this in mind, you will need it in a while) and we were really pleased. So we decided to go onward and publish it.

PUBLISHING
All seemed great so we said "hey lets publish it!". We wanted to offer the book for free Monday through Friday so that we could get a good ranking and also create some traffic.

And when we uploaded the book, the problems started

1) Remember the phenomenal pdf? Turns out, the graphics could not be converted in Kindle, so the viewing of the book was really ugly. Kindle asked for a doc version so we had to lower the quality a lot and cut some content. But, we had already paid a lot of money for the whole book and now we could not use it. So instead of paying 50 bucks for just the cover, we paid 300 bucks for the cover and a version of the book that we could not use. You can say that we effectively wasted 250 dollars.

2) Even when we made the mediocre version available, Kindle had other thoughts. We had to wait some days to get the book approved and uploaded and then we had to wait some more for the free offer to start. So instead of Monday, we started the promotion at around Wednesday through Sunday.

3) We wanted to promote the book, so I tried a promotion through my page on Facebook. It got denied because the picture of the book had more than 20% text. Yeah, sucks. My friend also tried to promote it through Google Ads, also got rejected. At least a lot of people shared it and we got lots of downloads.

4) Thinking that we were OK now, we believed that we could do some promotion on Reddit. We decided to post the book while still being free, in a subreddit on weight loss. Got downvoted hard because apparently they didn't like the promotion or it was against the rules. We read the rules beforehand and they said nothing about "not promoting" but OK, you gotta respect the community.

5) The final problem showed itself some days ago. Being too confident in our English ( we are both Greeks) we didn't proofread the text. You can imagine what happened? Lots of mistakes and apparently a whole section of the book, was missing. Again, we started correcting everything we could do.

Now with the majority of the mistakes taken care of, we feel comfortable enough to begin marketing the book some more, with the use of keywords and SEO.

Here are some statistics

Free units sold : 957
Paid units sold : 5

Reviews : 3 (two 5 stars and one 4 star)

We will continue promoting the book (my friend has some resources that he is currently reading) and we will start researching our next topic. I am currently reading Convert by Frank Kern and I think that I got some info that I can use in the promotion of the book.

That was it guys and gals! We will keep in touch while updating this topic ^_^

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Nice thread and a great start!
where we write our mistakes

This may be a big help for some Authors to avoid some of the hardships you have faced.

I wonder if you might focus on highlighting some of the positive aspects of your journey as well.

If you would share insights you've gained from mistakes and setbacks it may help out a great deal too.

Thanks for sharing your journey so far.

I look forward to reading your posts!

seamles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 30, 2014
Thanks for sharing, I'm in a similar place and you've had a lot of similar things that I've done. Glad we can share our journey and hopefully help each other to reach those great successful ones like COSenior, Chickenhawk and HFR.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
:) Nice start, and I wouldn't say the pdf was wasted money. If you did it at right size, you could actually use it for Create Space to do a pretty print version of your book. Just a suggestion there.

You've got a good attitude - learn from mistakes and move on :) Keep us updated and good luck going forward.

Samantha21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jul 14, 2014
California
Hey guys and gals!

One week ago I finished a small e-book that I co-authored with a friend of mine that we published on Kindle. It was a nice experience so we have in mind to keep finding subjects to write about and I would like this thread to be our journey, where we write our mistakes (and oh boy, they are a lot!), what we learn (we are reading some books that might benefit the members here) and hopefully get an advice or two!

So here we go.

THE MAKING

We are both trainers with an evidence based background so our first e book was an around 40 pages book, on how to lose weight with X tips.

We used merchantwords.com/ to find a good title. Not sure if the numbers are real, but we had nothing to lose. We did our research and found a title that combined some "hot" keywords, at least according to the site.

In the meantime, we were researching the topic, reading studies on nutrition, behavior, biases etc etc. We wanted to get promoted by the coaches and dietitians that support the evidence based approach.

I also read The Boron Letters and continued with Gary Halbert newsletter where I learned a lot. Really helped me with the introduction, the description and some other minor stuff. Always trying to say how something is going to help someone can be really powerful you know?

We decided to hire a professional graphic designer in order to make us a kickass book cover, and damn was it brilliant! She also wanted to try and fill the pages with HD pictures and make the book look as beautiful as possible. She created a phenomenal pdf (keep this in mind, you will need it in a while) and we were really pleased. So we decided to go onward and publish it.

PUBLISHING
All seemed great so we said "hey lets publish it!". We wanted to offer the book for free Monday through Friday so that we could get a good ranking and also create some traffic.

And when we uploaded the book, the problems started

1) Remember the phenomenal pdf? Turns out, the graphics could not be converted in Kindle, so the viewing of the book was really ugly. Kindle asked for a doc version so we had to lower the quality a lot and cut some content. But, we had already paid a lot of money for the whole book and now we could not use it. So instead of paying 50 bucks for just the cover, we paid 300 bucks for the cover and a version of the book that we could not use. You can say that we effectively wasted 250 dollars.

2) Even when we made the mediocre version available, Kindle had other thoughts. We had to wait some days to get the book approved and uploaded and then we had to wait some more for the free offer to start. So instead of Monday, we started the promotion at around Wednesday through Sunday.

3) We wanted to promote the book, so I tried a promotion through my page on Facebook. It got denied because the picture of the book had more than 20% text. Yeah, sucks. My friend also tried to promote it through Google Ads, also got rejected. At least a lot of people shared it and we got lots of downloads.

4) Thinking that we were OK now, we believed that we could do some promotion on Reddit. We decided to post the book while still being free, in a subreddit on weight loss. Got downvoted hard because apparently they didn't like the promotion or it was against the rules. We read the rules beforehand and they said nothing about "not promoting" but OK, you gotta respect the community.

5) The final problem showed itself some days ago. Being too confident in our English ( we are both Greeks) we didn't proofread the text. You can imagine what happened? Lots of mistakes and apparently a whole section of the book, was missing. Again, we started correcting everything we could do.

Now with the majority of the mistakes taken care of, we feel comfortable enough to begin marketing the book some more, with the use of keywords and SEO.

Here are some statistics

Free units sold : 957
Paid units sold : 5

Reviews : 3 (two 5 stars and one 4 star)

We will continue promoting the book (my friend has some resources that he is currently reading) and we will start researching our next topic. I am currently reading Convert by Frank Kern and I think that I got some info that I can use in the promotion of the book.

That was it guys and gals! We will keep in touch while updating this topic ^_^
Thanks for sharing this. And i will be waiting for the new update :) Keep up the good work.

Kindle-Knight

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jul 15, 2014
Hey everybody,

I am Foti's friend and the co-author of our ebook.

I wanted to update you with our current process and share with you an ebook which has helped us a bit with the marketing of our ebook.

THe book is called Kindle Marketing by Mark LeGrand Messick and it basically helps you find better keywords and improve amazon SEO (search engine optimization) through a 6 hour process which he describes in it. After implementing his method yesterday we have seen a big difference in getting our book higher in the results when searching popular keywords that people use to find books such as ours.

As you probably know amazon allows you 7 keywords and out of these seven keywords we are now on the first page of results in 5 of them (before we were in the first page of only two of them).

Of course its still early to tell how helpful all this is since we haven't seen a change in our sales yet (9 hours after the keywords were activated) but the book is an easy read and only about 120 pages long so if you are interested you could give it a look.

That's all for now, I want to also thank everybody who has post-replied till now and we hope we can offer you more useful information in the coming days!

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Nice thread and a great start!

This may be a big help for some Authors to avoid some of the hardships you have faced.

I wonder if you might focus on highlighting some of the positive aspects of your journey as well.

If you would share insights you've gained from mistakes and setbacks it may help out a great deal too.

Thanks for sharing your journey so far.

I look forward to reading your posts!

Our pleasure Sinister! We would love to write about the positive aspects as well, so let me start.

First of all, read again TMF . Check the image I uploaded, it's from our book. TMF really helped me in remembering why I do what I do. Having your "why's" nearby to read when you are lacking drive also helps.

Others will also give back. I was really surprised to find out how many people were willing to help us and how many even ASKED to help us. We got all of the studies for the book for free from a guy that had access through his university. He didn't ask anything back but I made sure to keep sending him interesting material on topics that might interest him. We had a couple, with one of them being a native speaker of English, volunteering to proof read our text and gave us their perspective on what things we could improve. We had both helped the girl in the past, giving her for free advises. Another guy, client of mine, corrected the typos without us asking him. I had given him a program for free, without even sweating it, cause he is a cool guy. Right now we are asking people that we have helped in the past for free, to give us an honest review. So far the response is great and I hope they will remember to review the book. If not, it's not a big deal, life ain't fair and you don't always get back what you give.

Distance didn't seem to matter. Do you know where I live? Greece! Do you know where Anthony lives? The Netherlands! Did it stop us? Hell no! We would definitely have better communication with mobiles, but we did just fine with Skype, Facebook and Dropbox. Either find excuses or find ways, it's up to you.

Finally, here is one link (got this from another guy that I have helped) that really assisted us in the creation of the book! Check it out!

http://okdork.com/2014/05/07/10-marketing-tactics-to-net-41000-downloads-on-amazon/?hvid=1oQXCi

Attachments

• thanks.png
    thanks.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 3

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks for sharing, I'm in a similar place and you've had a lot of similar things that I've done. Glad we can share our journey and hopefully help each other to reach those great successful ones like COSenior, Chickenhawk and HFR.

HFR's and Chickenhawk's threads are in my to-read list for some days now! Hopefully I will get to them! I really learned a lot from IceCreamKid's thread on the things that zen******* never told us :D

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
:) Nice start, and I wouldn't say the pdf was wasted money. If you did it at right size, you could actually use it for Create Space to do a pretty print version of your book. Just a suggestion there.

You've got a good attitude - learn from mistakes and move on :) Keep us updated and good luck going forward.

Thank you joanna! It definitely was not exactly a waste of money, we can even give it for free in a competition that we might hold. As Anthony taught me, try to find the positive in every bad situation ^_^ Will try to inform you when we got stuff to talk about, not going to spam you with minor details! :D

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
do you guys have a website for the book?

gregarious18

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jun 8, 2014
Hey everybody,

I am Foti's friend and the co-author of our ebook.

I wanted to update you with our current process and share with you an ebook which has helped us a bit with the marketing of our ebook.

THe book is called Kindle Marketing by Mark LeGrand Messick and it basically helps you find better keywords and improve amazon SEO (search engine optimization) through a 6 hour process which he describes in it. After implementing his method yesterday we have seen a big difference in getting our book higher in the results when searching popular keywords that people use to find books such as ours.

As you probably know amazon allows you 7 keywords and out of these seven keywords we are now on the first page of results in 5 of them (before we were in the first page of only two of them).

Of course its still early to tell how helpful all this is since we haven't seen a change in our sales yet (9 hours after the keywords were activated) but the book is an easy read and only about 120 pages long so if you are interested you could give it a look.

That's all for now, I want to also thank everybody who has post-replied till now and we hope we can offer you more useful information in the coming days!

I learned recently you can add more keywords besides the 7 keywords allowed by Amazon. The trick is after the 6th comma add spaces between your keywords and you can add a bunch more.

EXAMPLE keywords: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah

I think the limit is 400 words or characters (not too sure).

I seen a boost with some of my older titles. The boost was bigger depending on the title and keywords used. Anyway we can get a little extra juice.

--Greg the lurker :)

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
do you guys have a website for the book?

No we don't, but we were thinking after writing 2 more books, that we can create a website for our books, where we will drive previous buyers from Amazon there. That way we might be able to sell some more products/e-books without having to worry with Amazon's restrictive rules

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
I learned recently you can add more keywords besides the 7 keywords allowed by Amazon. The trick is after the 6th comma add spaces between your keywords and you can add a bunch more.

EXAMPLE keywords: blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah

I think the limit is 400 words or characters (not too sure).

I seen a boost with some of my older titles. The boost was bigger depending on the title and keywords used. Anyway we can get a little extra juice.

--Greg the lurker :)

Wow that's nice! Great to know! So we can literally include anything we want. Sick

apprentice

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jul 9, 2014
Athens, Greece
Hey guys! Another Greek here :)

I was incredibly happy to find your thread Fotis!
I'm so glad to see that there are more people in Greece trying to create their own future
instead of living in the pessimism Sidewalk like the others :)

And it's so awesome to see you take action!
Congratulations on the book! And almost 1000 sales, wow!

I hope you guys do great, really looking forward to seeing how your next book does :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.