The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 1000th Post.. LOSE THE JOB, NOW!!!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
In debt from past wrong decisions (incl taking on debt from my ex. Yeah i know!)

Haha, I know what that is like! I consider it at really expensive learning experience.

Great post Jack, it is hard to give up the norm and actually do anything, I am glad you had such success. How many people now say "oh you were just lucky"?

natopotato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Aug 23, 2012
MI
The most perfect story for me this week, Jack. Struggling to pay my student loans with crappy jobs all the while having ideas that I know would make money so that I can pursue my dream. A life without adversity isn't a worthwhile life to live, I'll never be truly happy if I cant overcome my obstacles. "Fight to make it work.."

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Thank you for this thread JackEdwards. It is really amazing that you had the courage to take the plunge, and the fact that you succeeded is icing on the cake. I am in a similar situation, living with my mother and paying bills, sometimes feeling like I am trapped because bills come in every month and she cannot support herself on her own if I stop working. Been living paycheck to paycheck for a year and a half now with entrepreneurial dreams in between. Your story gives me hope that I will get out of this situation, and be able to provide for her too.

Not to be a practical douche, but any advise on how to find that industry, that great idea that smells like money? Is it just try and fail all the way until you find the right one?

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
I have work at 8am in the morning, I'm thinking of just not showing up. I'm SO ON THE EDGE. I live at home with my parents, and can work with them if need be, or easily pick up a part time retail job somewhere, but it wouldn't pay the loans. The problem is my grandmother cosigned so I do not want to F*ck her over with repayments. But I could find a real full time job (degree in small business management, earn probably 35k-40k a year instead of 24k).

The pros though is that there is a lot of person to person interaction in this current job, lots of hot girls, rich town, its a small premium grocery store start up, so I've learned a lot. Probably more to learn. Alot of physical labor, which I find a good thing (not sitting on my a$$ all day).

Decisions to decisions...

Not to rub salt on your wounds, but you'd probably get more suggestions if you start your own poor me thread.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
You can F*ck off.

There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much. I'm loving life and am in a great situation, but sometimes there's some cognitive dissonance whether or not to stay win the job or go all out on the fast lane. Which is relevant to this thread. Thank you.

This is not your thread to tell me off.

There is not an ounce of value I've gained from your posts, nor did you offer any gratitude to the OP, and you haven't shared any solution to your situation.

All I see from your posts are I,I,I,me,me,me. I'm just suggesting that if you need input for your particular situation, it is best to make your own thread.

You may think that your situation is relevant here, but I can't imagine when everyone with their individual problems coming onto a GOLD'ed thread to talk about it and dilute the thread of it's value. That's it I'm done, it feels like I've already tainted this thread posting this.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
I'm going to do a tattoo of a shark on my hands, as a fastlane commitment.

Firstly, because it will remind me of my conviction to be a shark, not a guppy. Secondly, because it will keep me far, far away from a decent job, hence putting me into fertile fastlane ground. It's the commandment of need. If there's no need in the market, a business fails. If there's no need in the creator, no creation happens.

By the way, It'll look boss as hell :D

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
View attachment 4713

Booked that this weekend. I have some online pursuits I'll be pursuing full time along with anything else, and I'm heading to Bali/Vietnam/Thailand to pursue it. Mainly for the value of the money and the time it will give me (all day/all night).

It's not ASAP but it's good enough. 6 months baby.

Good post.
I should be back in BKK around the same time. Look me up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Jack your "why" was pretty strong.

#1 you had an entrepreneurial spirit screaming inside you for 3 years. #2 momma on the street because my idea sucks? Oh heck naw, not on my watch!!!!

Those two things propelled you to success. Oh, and, maybe the stars were a little aligned in your favor with the right business idea, at, the right time, with a hungry customer base to kill it in 30 days.

Thank "G" momma aint homeless, (and she got to eat steak :) )

snoop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Apr 25, 2014
California
You post a thread and then you dont reply to the questions the users are asking.

Why should he reply? The answer is in The POST! Grab your BALLS if
You have any or whatever you have if your the opposite sex and go and do something!

If you read carefully , the idea this millionaire had is irrelevant. If you don't have a idea or a flow of ideas you belong working for me! Or any one of these aspiring entrepreneurs!

The answer is in the post. Find your idea, go to where the market is, feel it out. If it feels good drop it all go all IN! What do you have to lose? If your not willing to lose it ALL your not willing to achieve it all..

Small sacrifice brings small dividend . You decode the rest.

yulthebull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 18, 2012
CA
This is
Let me tell you a story, This is 1989 early 1990..

I was working two jobs, throwing newspapers in the morning starting at 330 AM. and working at a warehouse during the day getting off at 7PM.. Worked my a$$ off and sadly had obligations to keep working, My dad died and left us in a ton of debt, so I had to carry the house, support my mother and brother, that is why the two jobs, had to keep them, had to make the money. No choice.

All the while business ideas were going through my head like crazy, everyday another idea, another thought, another angle, Said to myself, I should start this, I should start that. How could I though, I had bills. I can't quit. No way.

Maybe I can work some of them on the side, which I did, got friends to do their part, never worked, Why? Cause I was working and could not be there and friends doing your biz on the side. Failure after failure.

One day A friend of mine said we should go to Cali and check out the scene. Try taking a week off from Newspapers. It's a 7 day a week job, everyday. 3 years straight I had not taken a day off.. 3 years.. think about that. Now the manager was all upset I wanted to take a week off. wow..

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.. But for all my excitement, After the week was over, went back to work. had to, had no choice, getting up at 3 am, getting off at 7PM. Went on for like a month or two, realized this is my life, and this will be my life forever.

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

When I told my Managers they were like, your going to start your own business... it will never work, (like they knew) told my mom, she basically cried and yelled at me for a week on how she was going to be living on the street in a few months, she even was nice enough to have every relative call me and tell me I was a bum for leaving her with nothing.

I lied , told her don't worry I will make enough money to cover the bills in a month.. Did I know if that was true, I had no idea, I had barely enough gas to Get to Hollywood.

Turns out, My idea actually worked, and I made a lot of money.. Millions in fact, Bought my mom a nice house, Paid for trips for her to go around the world on cruises and vacations.

The reality is though. I could still be that guy working, thinking of ideas... Planning for the day... that will never come..

Don't be that guy.. Lose the job, Fight to make it work.. and it will. Do it today.

This is amazing and motivational. Thank you for sharing this with me, I am at a point where this really resinated into my core and it is exactly what I needed to hear. Many thanks for you sharing your teachings.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Doesn't sound like you need any motivation at all :)

I have work at 8am in the morning, I'm thinking of just not showing up. I'm SO ON THE EDGE. I live at home with my parents, and can work with them if need be, or easily pick up a part time retail job somewhere, but it wouldn't pay the loans. The problem is my grandmother cosigned so I do not want to F*ck her over with repayments. But I could find a real full time job (degree in small business management, earn probably 35k-40k a year instead of 24k).

The pros though is that there is a lot of person to person interaction in this current job, lots of hot girls, rich town, its a small premium grocery store start up, so I've learned a lot. Probably more to learn. Alot of physical labor, which I find a good thing (not sitting on my a$$ all day).

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand

It sounds like you have plenty of options but are in a bit of rut as to which direction to take. I'm not trying to be a dick but what I would do is take a few days off, maybe revisit TMF book and really come up with a game plan. I am no millionaire fastlaner yet and find it hard to give advice other then to let you know what I would do, but yeah I would take some time off and reflect and make a new plan.
hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
It sounds like you have plenty of options but are in a bit of rut as to which direction to take. I'm not trying to be a dick but what I would do is take a few days off, maybe revisit TMF book and really come up with a game plan. I am no millionaire fastlaner yet and find it hard to give advice other then to let you know what I would do, but yeah I would take some time off and reflect and make a new plan.
hopefully someone else can give you some better advice.

There is no time off to be had in my situation, small department and everyone is needed. But yeah I will revisit TMF , and I know the new motto here is "don't foolishly quit too soon" or don't quit until your side income is enough to pay the bills, but my only bills are my cell and student loans. I have food and house, electricity, computer. I've worked with the same company for 5-6 years and they are just loading up the responsibility on me, setting strict goals to meet, and harping at every opportunity. The situation is turning from an enjoyable job where I sharpen my skills to all out slave labor. I do need to come up with a game plan before I quit, and am in the process of writing 3 ebooks, but not expecting immediate success from them.

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Mar 25, 2014
Not to rub salt on your wounds, but you'd probably get more suggestions if you start your own poor me thread.

You can F*ck off.

There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much. I'm loving life and am in a great situation, but sometimes there's some cognitive dissonance whether or not to stay win the job or go all out on the fast lane. Which is relevant to this thread. Thank you.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Wow, really happy you persevered and pulled through. I'm sure a lot of people swoon over your "luck," forgetting your struggle before.

Congratulations, keep it going and thanks for sharing your story.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did people who donated get the 1-on-1 call, or is someone upset?

From what I remember people received their call and got value from it.

However we were unable to confirm the existence of the "sick child" and that any such donation happened.

When we questioned the scenario and existence of the child, the user promptly disappeared.

As with all things internet, trust, but verify. Haven't read the content here (it's pretty damn old) so I'm not sure how applicable it is today.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
--What was your "idea" that worked back in 1990?

Jack, great story here. I think you nailed it....the #1 problem I see with most everyone (minus maybe the 15 - 25 year olds that have parents to fall back on) is that they are all tied down to debt/bills and the fear to leave the "perceived certainty" of their job wins out.

There are thousands of people on this forum that are in the same position. They have a decent paying job and maybe have started a side business. They think all the time about leaving their job and just focusing on the business to grow it , but always in the back of their mind is the fact that they would be leaving a career.....and the bills/kids/family will always be there....with no safety net like the younger folks without mortgages/health insurance/monthly grocery bills etc.

Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Is it a problem with his post or just a high barrier to entry (or exit in this thread)?

If they have a decent paying job and feel tied down to it because of bills....then they will always have just that, a decent paying job.

Also while I feel your assessment on many young people is correct I feel you may be mistaken when you generalize that all people 25 and under have a safety net and no significant bills. I started the fastlane when I was 24, I didn't have a safety net before but I had made enough to get by. Then with all bills still in tact I walked out one day and started working on my own business. I even took on an extra bill or two that was worth the pain it caused to force me to stretch myself and my abilities.

To give the excuse for yourself or anyone else that you don't have a "safety net" etc etc (and I've heard about this safety net from people older and younger than myself) is simply a reason to fail. Anyone can keep repeating this day in and day out. But the bills won't get better, the children won't go away, and it won't get any easier to step out on your own. So people need to do it or admit that their too scared and start monitoring their 401Ks.

Shakeandbake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 4, 2013
Can you provide some insight on what the first business was? How long it took you to succeed from nothing. Maybe a little bit of coles notes on start to finish on that business?

I was following the more recent one but seemed like that thread dried up and haven't seen any updates.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
I am working towards this ideal. Although I cannot just drop everything and run off to Cali because I have children involved and not just a bunch of slacking adults (although I have those too) I am teaming up with my brother from another mother. I hope to be reporting back within a year free of my JOB. And cruisin the freeway.

After so many failures and setbacks I still keep focused on the 1 and not on the 10 who may fail. That's the difference I believe. Are you focused on the fastlane or the guard rail?

Hit another set back as my buddy will be delayed another month. But he doesn't have any young ones. We will leverage his time with what i have learned here and other places and create a suitable retirement we always talked about when we were in our 20's.

Funny little coincidence. Jack edwards time frame was when me and my buddy first met. Little piece I can take into heart and raise my spirit level after yesterdays setback.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I didn't see many questions on this so:

That moment, Decided I was going to quit, move to Cali and pursue the idea. Had no money to start it. Nothing.

I am curious what was your approach in getting it off the ground with nothing? Was it a service business or a similar approach described in your call with products?

Went to Cali, Came across something I really wanted to start, a great idea, an industry I knew 0 about. I just smelled money.

Interested to hear how you judged this opportunity. Were there others making big money in the same business? Did you test the idea out first or did you just roll the dice?

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
I didn't see many questions on this so:

I am curious what was your approach in getting it off the ground with nothing? Was it a service business or a similar approach described in your call with products?

Interested to hear how you judged this opportunity. Were there others making big money in the same business? Did you test the idea out first or did you just roll the dice?

Amazing guy.
I'd be interested in this too Jack. Understand your busy. I don't want spoon feeding but I struggle with identifying opportunities. What are the signals in your mind that scream opportunity. Most that leap out are in saturated markets...well at least it seems that way. Thanks

Ripster

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 29, 2014
Jack, this is probably the most motivating story I've ever read. Thank you for sharing your experience! :cool:

SCC

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Aug 25, 2013
New Zealand
I need some motivation to quit my job. Got 70k in student loans coming up in 2 months with $1000 monthly payments, making $12/hour which will cover it yet leave me with nothing left over really. A few hundred. Sick of stocking groceries, I did it for 5 years thru college and didn't expect I'd do it full time after college.

im getting so pissed lately with crappy demanding management, I almost feel like just walking out, no two weeks notice. It's a Damn grocery store. Can't do this all my life, feel like the newspaper boy in the OP. But for 45 hours a week it helps me to get by and food, considering I got $1k saved up I don't think I can take the plunge. But I could quit and find another job. Need some others thoughts....
Doesn't sound like you need any motivation at all :)

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
There's no "poor me" vibe anywhere in my body thank you very much.

There is plenty, once you learn to see that you can get over it and make your decision.

That's not cognitive dissonance, that's fear. Get over it, quit making excuses and blaming grandma. Good luck.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.