The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meditation

Anything related to matters of the mind

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
What are the benefits of meditation in YOUR opinion?
In what kind of way did it help you?

I remember when i used to meditate.
After meditating i actualy enjoyed working in a quiet room.
Usually i just put some loud music on and work, but after meditating i prefered a quiet room.

I have no clue on which other benefits it has, but then again i haven't meditated for more than a week,so i haven't noticed any other benefits.

I'm planning to start meditating again and i was wondering if some of the people here do it too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

qwerety

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
May 26, 2008
Detroit, MI
Maybe I should look into trying this, because sometimes I have to work or study with music too. Its like my mind wanders if its too quiet and just makes it harder for me to concentrate. I also cannot go to sleep without the TV on. If the TV is off my mind wanders and I'm awake thinking about random stuff for a long time.

How does one go about doing this? I have no clue.
I figured it was something like sitting in a quiet place and I can't do that without clearing my mind. I would just sit there and think to myself.

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
I am no expert, but when i meditate and i catch myself thinking about something, i just remind myself to concentrate on what is happening right now. I concentrate on the sounds of everything that is happening around me.

I think meditation is to just clear your mind of all thoughts.

And i've never heard of anyone sleeping with the TV on.
My mind wanders too when i'm trying to sleep, but eventually i'll fall asleep anyway so there's no need to turn the TV on or anything.

Jul 6, 2009
The benefits of mediation is being able to clear your mind. Its allows you to Stop all thoughts. Its something that you must practice daily, if you want to feel the full benefits mediation. Mediation reduces stress, generates ideas and keeps you focused.

20art

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 23, 2008
San Bernardino, CA
Meditation is pretty cool. It does relieve stress, It clears your mind and makes me feel calm but with stored energy. When you start thinking about things, you might want to try focusing on your in- & exhaling. I used to meditate a little for a while. There are youtube videos on meditation.
A different type of meditating I did was like what Napoleon Hill said in "Think and Grow Rich", which was to lay down before bed and picture living your dream life. All I got from that was having interesting and very clear dreams when I went to sleep which was very cool.

Moneymaka

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 22, 2009
Meditation is pretty cool. It does relieve stress, It clears your mind and makes me feel calm but with stored energy. When you start thinking about things, you might want to try focusing on your in- & exhaling. I used to meditate a little for a while. There are youtube videos on meditation.
A different type of meditating I did was like what Napoleon Hill said in "Think and Grow Rich", which was to lay down before bed and picture living your dream life. All I got from that was having interesting and very clear dreams when I went to sleep which was very cool.
How long do you meditate?

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I started meditation after I realized so many super successful people I know do it (including Russell Simmons). It clears your mind, reduces stress and helps you focus. Truly, my best ideas come during or right after meditation. Here's a web site yo help you get started with actual specific meditations on it as well: Learning Meditation Home Page. You can modify the imagery as you like. One I do regularly is: sit or recline in a quiet room. Close my eyes and focus on my breath, counting 10 slow breaths as I visualize walking down the beach towards my dream house. I approach the door and open it. I see the entry, open walls to the ocean, hear music, etc. I walk in and see my future self (ideal body, level of success, etc). I sit next to my other self on a chaise lounge and ask questions. (Like if I'm stuck and don't know a solution or want to know what I need to focus on or do more of or what actions to take next). May seem weird if you've never done it before, but you already have so many answers inside yourself that if you relax and focus enough to ask, you'll know what to do. I come out of these meditations so invigorated and fired up to take action and achieve my goals. Plus the visualization programs your subconscious mind to find ways to achieve what you picture.

Reefbreak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 18, 2009
San Diego
I've also recently begun to explore meditation, or rather, simply clearing one's mind of all thoughts and worries. The book "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" identifies one process of meditation called "The Heart of the Rose". Though much of the information can be found elsewhere, the book is a quick read, and there are several other valueable lessons that can be practiced on a daily basis.

Someone mentioned a quite room or area, which I think is important. It will take several weeks or longer to reach a point where you can actually clear your mind of all thoughts... it is much easier said than done. Although I have not gotten to the point of using it yet, I believe a 7-syllable mantra.. constantly repeated in one's mind... is supposed to be helpful during the meditation process as a way to "block out" other thoughts and ideas.

Jul 6, 2009
Any advice for those who want to start doing it?

My advice is take about 20 minutes each day. Not timed.
Sit down in a position you feel every comfortable in.
Bring pillows, candles, turn off the lights, you can set any mood or no mood.
Take slow deep breathes, while you doing breathing in deeply just lets your thoughts go. Don't try to think. If a thought pops ups, just ignore it and continue to breathe deeply.

Do this for 20 minutes a day and you will have begun mediation.

Remember mediation is not easy, we are always thinking all the time. So trying to stop thought isn't a walk in the park, but doable with consistency.

I hope this helps

20art

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 23, 2008
San Bernardino, CA
And 20 minutes seems way longer when meditating. To answer the question you gave me, I would do it about 20 minutes I've heard the number of minutes should be = to your age

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
If you're just starting out, look up flame/candle mediations.

Other than that, there are many different types of meditation... a simple change in physiology can lead to an altered state. (a brisk walk for an hour with an ipod can offer different perspective if you're having a hard time learning)

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
I just took a Chinese Philosophy course in the spring, and my professor (a PhD in Asian Philosophy who is one of the most life-balanced people I have ever had the pleasure to meet) was actually all about meditation. We talked to him about how to do it, and he was more than happy to outline some basics, and even dedicated some class time to it. Some basics have been mentioned, some have not, but here they are:

1. Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. (No computer, phone, tv, etc. He said you CAN use meditative music if you have trouble focusing, but one should not use it as a crutch.) If you can find a "dedicated" space where meditation is the only thing done in that space, all the better. A spare bedroom, a porch, or a gardenor even a nearby park are all fine ideas
2. Practice daily. As with any type of training it takes time to develop the ability to handle long duration meditations. This leads to...
3. DO NOT meditate for longer than you are capable. The ideal is 15-20 minutes a day, more if you are really into it and want to learn advanced meditation techniques over time, but a novice will do more harm than good trying long cycles. The reason being is that if you are having difficulty, your mind may cling to that fact, and then you try to overcompensate, and you create the mental tug-of-war you are trying to alleviate. Start with a serious 5 minutes (untimed, of course), and if you can't do it that's fine, just try again tomorrow. The key is to learn relaxed focus, not become a mental steel box. The duration will come with practice.
4. DO NOT block thoughts, let them pass but do not hold onto them. You do not want to block thoughts like a dam does water. Rather, the goal is to accept your thoughts and then let them pass, like wind through a tree. If I tell you "DON'T think of a pink elephant," I bet you'll think of a pink elephant. However, if I tell you to think of whatever you want, there will be a second or two of pause in your mind as it searches for what you want to think about and opens up to the myriad possibilities. Meditation takes that second or two where there is no real concrete ideas and extrapolates it into longer time frames. Its like giving your mind a stretch. Learning this process takes time and patience, but its rewards are great.
5. Focus on your breathing. If your mind is full and clinging to thoughts, then return to the inhale-exhale of your breathing pattern, and be sure to breathe from your diaphragm. Take full, deep breaths to fill your lungs with oxygen. Woods, beaches, and other outdoor locations with high oxygen and freshness in the air are cosidered prime mediation locales.
5. ENJOY!! Many people become frustrated or annoyed, and they miss the point completely. It is a time to relax and allow yourself to expand, not force yourself to contort. There are no specific time limits, achivement goals, or standards. Be sure to enjoy the time you spend meditating, and despite the length of the session it will remain a reward in and of itself.

I have been meditating for many months now, and enjoy it thoroughly. I hope that others here find its benefits invigorating as well. I had actually just recently come across an article that was outlining a scientific study on how the taking of breaks during a workday to clear the mind actually increase productivity and efficiency. Meditation performs much the same function, so enjoy!!

Here's the article:
Why The Best Ideas Have Something Missing - Bullish on Books Blog - CNBC.com

Cheers!!

mmmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Jul 15, 2009
Recently I have started Vipassana mediation. They have free residential courses and have centres all around the world.

I try to meditate everyday but end up meditating only 3-4 days a week.

It really clears up my head and makes me feel light and stress free,nothing in the world is much of a bother to me after meditation.

I wish I could explain how to meditate but I feel I would not do justice to it.

check out their website for more information
I am not able to post links but you can search the term "Vipassana" using google

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Meditation has positively affected nearly all aspects of my life. I've tried many forms and have found they all lead to the same place when practiced earnestly. I have never invested in TM, and I do not believe it's necessary to meditate fully. There are myriad techniques, but the different techniques all work. Just read, pick one that interests you and use it.

Jul 6, 2009
Meditation has positively affected nearly all aspects of my life. I've tried many forms and have found they all lead to the same place when practiced earnestly. I have never invested in TM, and I do not believe it's necessary to meditate fully. There are myriad techniques, but the different techniques all work. Just read, pick one that interests you and use it.

Have you ever tried Autogenic conditioning?

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
Have you ever tried Autogenic conditioning?

I have not tried it. After training yourself, you can reach a state of meditation at will, even with your eyes open in a crowded room. I'm just saying after a while, different techniques still have their uses but are not essential. It's the not technique, it's your state. And you control your state, not the technique. Meditation is meditation. It doesn't matter if you use a spot on a wall, a flame, a mantra, the cloud of unknowing, etc.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Transcendental Meditation.

Transcendental Meditation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's right. TM is a pretty popular method, and I know some who practice it. After years of meditation, I have not witnessed any reason why TM is necessary...except for the fact that it requires you use a guide, which is certainly of good use to you. It costs a bit, like $2500 I think now. It's beautiful, and it works, but I'm just mentioning it because it's a popular route to go, and I don't believe it's essential. It's like going to grad school vs. reading a ton of books...which one is better? It just depends on your goals.

Startbye

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 28, 2009
Germany
I do meditate now for more than a year. Since i began, life became a lot easier and great things happened, without a lot of hard work.

I still enjoy it a lot. I never spent any money for that. Just look for a quiet place and close your eyes for some minutes. It is not necessary to block any thoughts, as soon as they are extremely positive! I often visualise myself being whatever i want to be and trying to imagine situations as real as possible.

I think there are many ways, to meditate in an effective way. You just have to try whats best for you. And isn´t it boring to have always the same thoughts?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.