The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Man sold everything to buy a Lambo

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
... and found happiness

"You're never going to live up to anyone's expectations, so you might as well live up to your own and for me that's to be as free as you can. And if money doesn't buy you freedom then it's useless."

From the title most would say the dude was an idiot, but I urge everyone to read the story. It was touching, and in I was glad he made that decision, and he embodies the spirit that makes a true entrepreneur.

I Sold Everything To Buy A Lamborghini And Drive Across The Country

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I was just reading this on a different website!

And who says Lambos aren't reliable??? :fastlane:

"You're never going to live up to anyone's expectations, so you might as well live up to your own and for me that's to be as free as you can. And if money doesn't buy you freedom then it's useless."
:icon_super:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
... and found happiness

From the title most would say the dude was an idiot, but I urge everyone to read the story. It was touching, and in I was glad he made that decision, and he embodies the spirit that makes a true entrepreneur.

I Sold Everything To Buy A Lamborghini And Drive Across The Country

Cool story. Glad to see someone using their Lambo for something other than an ego boost (no offenses MJ).

You only live once. How many other people will be able to tell the kind of stories he can when he is 80 years old?

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
"he embodies the spirit that makes a true entrepreneur"

I beg to differ. Not judging the hedonistic lifestyle, I used to live it. But running away from work and responsibilities and getting several hundred thousands into debt travelling around in a Lambo has nothing to do with being an entrepreneur.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
"he embodies the spirit that makes a true entrepreneur"

I beg to differ. Not judging the hedonistic lifestyle, I used to live it. But running away from work and responsibilities and getting several hundred thousands into debt travelling around in a Lambo has nothing to do with being an entrepreneur.

And yet at the end of his journey he was able to start a new business despite being swamped in dept, still kept his house, and is ever so optimistic about his future.

Which suggest one thing, you did not read the article, or you can not read at all.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
The article says he rented a space and plans to repair motorcycles...not that he has a successful business. Good luck to him to repay all that cash with a motorcycle biz.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Right, and he didn't sell his original business to purchase the house, because he was not an entrepreneur since he flips burger.

A

Anon3587x

You have to admire the uniqueness of the story.

But I can't help but think how much of an idiot this guy is.

I'm normally not a hater, but there are better ways to blow off steam from a divorce then to buy a lambo and speed around the country building up debt.

And its not even good debt, that is BAD debt.

ITA

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 16, 2008
Hong Kong
Right, and he didn't sell his original business to purchase the house, because he was not an entrepreneur since he flips burger.

True, I forgot that part of the story where he sold his business to buy a house he didn't want, in an area he didn't like, to wow a girlfriend who immediately dumped him.

Yeah, he is a real role model :eusa_clap: :smxF:

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
To ITA:

And what have you done to make yourself happy or what have you done in your life that makes you so much greater than this man? Are you saying that you are a better role model than him?

Please enlighten us with your lessons since you are so critical to judge. I thought this place was about learning from everyone. So please teach us.

A

Anon3587x

To ITA:

And what have you done to make yourself happy or what have you done in your life that makes you so much greater than this man? Are you saying that you are a better role model than him?

Please enlighten us with your lessons since you are so critical to judge. I thought this place was about learning from everyone. So please teach us.

instead of picking on ITA, I'll you why this guy should not be a role model.

What he did is no different then cashing out all his assets to go on a coke/heroine binge to forget his problems.

Nothing inspirational about that.

Let's drive a lambo cross country so people watching me zoom by might think I'm more important then I really am.
Carrying some false sense of entitlement with me at all times.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bottom line:

WHY did he do it. Deep down.

From one of my mentors:

"There is no greater crime
No greater treason
Than to do the right thing
For all the wrong reasons"

-Russ H.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Whether or not he's a role model depends on what personality and deeds you hold in high regard. I don't think he's a role model, but I do respect the self-commitment and willingness to say F*ck it to the things he doesn't care about, to do something he does.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Bottom line:

WHY did he do it. Deep down.

From one of my mentors:

"There is no greater crime
No greater treason
Than to do the right thing
For all the wrong reasons"

-Russ H.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.....yes, BUT was it the RIGHT thing ???? :smx4:

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Bravo, I plan on doing exactly the same thing one day with a boat. I'm going to point it over the horizen and never turn back.

Its about freedom, and rejecting the box modern society places us in. Or living on the edge, call it what you want.

My friend did it was his business. He had a very successful advertising agency, bought a Swan 46, sold the company, and sailed the boat for 5 years all over the islands and South America. He simply decided he wanted to "retire" while he was young enough to fully enjoy it. Now he is back and working again.

A

Anon3587x

Bravo, I plan on doing exactly the same thing one day with a boat. I'm going to point it over the horizen and never turn back.

Its about freedom, and rejecting the box modern society places us in. Or living on the edge, call it what you want.

My friend did it was his business. He had a very successful advertising agency, bought a Swan 46, sold the company, and sailed the boat for 5 years all over the islands and South America. He simply decided he wanted to "retire" while he was young enough to fully enjoy it. Now he is back and working again.

What your friend did seemingly sounds amazing.

But your comparing apples to oranges here in my opinion.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
This is how I see it.

Did this guy hurt anyone, physically or mentally? No.

Instead of going down a darker route with drugs and violence, he went and drove 91,000 miles around the country in a Lamborghini.

It could of been much worse, what if he got hooked on drugs and started robbing and stealing? He would be hurting others than just himself.

See what my point is? This guy took a bad situation, took a risk and just drove. He got whatever was really bothering him, out of his system. Now, he is off to do other things. Good for him.
I wish him the best.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
If I sold all my stuff I could get the new jordans and run across country forrest gump style.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
instead of picking on ITA, I'll you why this guy should not be a role model.

What he did is no different then cashing out all his assets to go on a coke/heroine binge to forget his problems.

Nothing inspirational about that.

Let's drive a lambo cross country so people watching me zoom by might think I'm more important then I really am.
Carrying some false sense of entitlement with me at all times.

Not really. He went on to find his freedom and what motivated him, and now he is back at it again. Debt or no debt I personally does not think it matters. You need to look at what matters in your life, are you trying to horde a lot of $$$? Does counting $$$ makes you happy? Then yes maybe you should not follow in his path.

He did what he is happy with, he is motivated to pick himself right back up with another business (which he already has the skill set for), he is happy. Tell me why the debt matters to him when every facet of his life is not impeded by it?

I would assume you can make the same argument for people who devote their life to the church, if that is their thing and makes them rest easy on the inside.

As long as someone finds their freedom and happiness - but not a short term dosage right? Which I think this article is a very well representation of.

No where did he say he bought the lambo to show off, I love driving so I understand him more than the people who likes cars for brands.

Zed

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 8, 2010
What ever makes you happy right? But I think there's always a line between being a lot happy "now" then get buried in debt and being moderately happy now and sometime in the future.

moop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jun 1, 2010
Although I don't agree with his decision, I have to admire his tenacity and fearlessness in the face of significant debt. Those values would serve him well as an entrepreneur. Perhaps he can monetize his experience somehow eg write a book on pursuing your dreams. He certainly has enough credibility

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
a lot of people in the world have wasted lamborghini money on useless things and don't have anything to show for it. I'm one of them!

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If I sold all my stuff I could get the new jordans and run across country forrest gump style.

^likes this :)

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
You have to admire the uniqueness of the story.

But I can't help but think how much of an idiot this guy is.

I'm normally not a hater, but there are better ways to blow off steam from a divorce then to buy a lambo and speed around the country building up debt.

And its not even good debt, that is BAD debt.

I read the story, I can't help but feel that this guy will be massively successful in his future endeavours. A true entrepreneur.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
It's been fascinating reading the different responses to this story.

There is a group who are really, really inspired by this guy.

And another group that think he's a bit of a nut. Or not a good role model.

Me?

I find the idea of heading out on the open road, no plans, and no one to answer to-- incredibly refreshing and fun.

I believe the word used in the story is FREEDOM.

Kinda what a buddy and I did in 2000: Hopped a train that took us across the US, then rented a Mustang convertible and just went on the mother of all road trips: Route 66, Grand Canyon, LA, up Hwy 1, Big Sur, San Francisco, and ended in Napa.

It was great.

Took us 2 months.

I remember writing a magazine article on my laptop when we first started our trip (I was on a deadline). Six or seven weeks later, in California (still in the midst of our trip), I walked into a grocery store and showed him the magazine it was in. Very cool. :)

The $1500 I got paid for that piece was part of what funded that trip, for me.

But there were some pretty big differences between our trip, and this guy's journey.

First and foremost, we weren't running away from anything.

Second, we paid for the whole thing w/real money. Not loans that are now due.

Third, we took care of our car. We didn't lunch the engine.

For us, this was freedom.

But as someone once pointed out: With freedom comes great responsibility.

I think that's why I feel this guy is a putz.

His whole story is all about being irresponsible.

-Didn't keep his business.

-Didn't keep his gf.

-Didn't keep his commitments to his lenders.

-Didn't take care of his car.

. . . I could go on, but you get the idea.

I think FREEDOM is something we all long for and appreciate here on the fastlane.

But for me, what this guy did was NOT freedom.

It was running away from things and hoping you could drive fast enough to keep ahead of the bills, the cops, and the mess he'd left behind.

Thing is:

You can never drive fast enough to escape responsibility, or problems, or debt.

I think the Lambo's blown engine is a perfect metaphor for what this guy did.

-Russ H.

PS Having said all this, I would like nothing better than to be proved wrong. If, 10 years from now, this guy is debt-free, or is living the dream and not running away from creditors, I would love that. I just don't feel like he's responsible enough to make that happen. Time will tell.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Russ said:

But for me, what this guy did was NOT freedom.

It was running away from things and hoping you could drive fast enough to keep ahead of the bills, the cops, and the mess he'd left behind.

YES................YES..................YES.....................YES

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.