The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Man! I feel very unmotivated and helpless

Nikstokes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 13, 2013
I'm trying to create a dating website and am having trouble finding the means to build the website and do the things I want to with it. Feeling pretty unmotivated and keep trying to create new ideas so I don't have to do this one. Sux! :/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Well, why do you want to create a dating website? Is there something special about your idea that would blow e-harmony, christian, mingle, and other dating site out of the water, or at the least, be able to compete with them?

I have a few grand ideas of my own that would face some pretty serious competition. For now, they will need to wait. My wife and I are focusing on some other niches that dont have such large competitors. I suggest you do the same. Focus on catching some smaller fish before you go after Moby Dick. This will help give you momentum, help you do some networking and meet some people, and who knows, you may run into someone that can help you with a really big project. It may not even be a dating website.....it may be something else completely different.

The point is that you need to gain some momentum and experience. There are a ton of people on here that are asking how to create the next facebook, myspace, ebay, etc......but you are gonna have a hard time reinventing someone elses wheel.

Good luck

Nikstokes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 13, 2013
Ya, I completely understand. I do have a website in mind to sell high quality jewlerly like modern looking bracelets, wristbands, tungsten rings etc but I can't really see that kind of a website selling for 20 million in a liquidation event

magneto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 5, 2013
The world wide web
I'm trying to create a dating website and am having trouble finding the means to build the website and do the things I want to with it. Feeling pretty unmotivated and keep trying to create new ideas so I don't have to do this one. Sux! :/

Then what do you feel like doing? What makes you excited? Do that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm trying to create a dating website

Why? Please be specific.

having trouble

Trouble is apart of the process. If you seek to avoid any kind of trouble or challenges, you'll never succeed.

but I can't really see that kind of a website selling for 20 million

I'd suggest forget about selling something for $20 million, try selling something for $20 bucks.

Then what do you feel like doing? What makes you excited? Do that.

For the love of God, please don't. The market isn't going to give a shit about what makes you excited. Ask, "what makes the market excited?" -- then go do that.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
For the love of God, please don't. The market isn't going to give a shit about what makes you excited. Ask, "what makes the market excited?" -- then go do that.

I know that comment brings up much criticism here but MJ is right. Just because it excites you doesn't mean anyone else gives a crap, in fact they don't.

I think MJ says often that he is passionate about freedom and extraneous things; not necessarily the tasks required to get there.

Ask, "what makes the market excited?" -- then go do that.

Pure gold there MJ.

Jason K

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Mar 10, 2013
If you want to create a successful dating site, niche down like crazy.

There are already tons of broad swath dating sites out there. You want to be the dating site for ex-Amish technology users who now live in Kentucky and are looking to create a life with a partner sharing the same beliefs about gun control, home schooling and small government. Get the idea? There you can make a name for yourself.

Pick ONE idea and stick with it through fruition. You'll learn a lot more than by daydreaming, or half-starting a bunch of stillborn notions.

You're depressed because you can't see your path clearly. DECIDE and you'll feel a lot better.

Nikstokes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 13, 2013
Wow! Thank you for all the great feedback! It's always nice to know that when I'm feeling a little down or unmotivated, people here are happy to help.

The real reason i want to create a dating website is i see it as a profitable business to get into. But it kind of sucks becuase there isnt necessarily a need for another one plus with my "niche" which I don't even know if it would be called a niche is that people can connect with other people according to their most common check ins on FB and frousquare.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Get out and get some hobbies and dig deep into those hobbies......i can almost guarantee that you will be able to find SOMETHING missing in one of those hobbies. And then, thats where you can come in and fill the NEED. Good luck.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Wow! Thank you for all the great feedback! It's always nice to know that when I'm feeling a little down or unmotivated, people here are happy to help.

The real reason i want to create a dating website is i see it as a profitable business to get into. But it kind of sucks becuase there isnt necessarily a need for another one plus with my "niche" which I don't even know if it would be called a niche is that people can connect with other people according to their most common check ins on FB and frousquare.

Why not make a app instead. Where people install it on FB and then daily are shown results of potential partners that have the same intr. as them and if they want to contact that person they can upgrade their account after they have seen 3 people. Upgrade can be $2 per week or something.

But obviously you would not have any control and FB could change their policies and ban your app over night.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012

I think in this case feeling down or unmotivated about your idea is a signal that at some level you know it's not "the one". If there were specific troubles or challenges that were getting you down, that'd be a different story. I think you're right about your "niche" not even being a niche, it's just a feature that could easily be duplicated and rolled out by the IT resources already at eHarmony, ChristianMingle, etc. (assuming they even thought it was worthwhile).

Check out Josh Kaufman's description of "reorganization", it may (or may not) be relevant to you: Reorganization

Anyway, as the old folks used to say: Keep on trucking!

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
you'll have much better luck creating something no one has seen or experienced yet.

SAMBA Blog: Hamster Burial Kits & 998 Other Business Ideas

there are tons of ideas everywhere. you just have to look for them ;)

only reason I mention this is because competing in this area is insane, even niche specific.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
a dating site can worth well over 20 millions ... every idea can .. just give enough value to be worth it to someone eye.

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Also ... why don't you just start ... look at any big company how small they started ...

You might just be lazy and looking for an idea that will sell for 20 millions after 1 year ..

#1 Start something in a market where there are people buying and then just grow from it and you'll hit that 20M after a few years or maybe even after 1-3 years who knows?

We all don't know until you get started.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Why do you not sign up to a few or even better yet try work for a bigger company just to grasp it before you go in at the deep end wasting money..
Every new start up comes with amazing ideas then the mind fog/fear sets in.. Just go back to the drawing board with a pen and paper and write down initally why you wanted to start this idea try even come up with other integrated ideas like a "Rebound Dating Website" something that may sound brutally harsh but at least the customer knows exactly whats on the tin. You may say money is what makes this idea sound so appealing but not many people stick at a job just because the money you actually have to enjoy what your doing for it to come on leaps and bounds..

Nikstokes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Feb 13, 2013
I think my biggest problem is that I have no idea how to execute my idea. No idea what steps to take.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Well, it's better to post out a question asking for help with an idea, rather than just saying you're trying to create a dating website and you're unmotivated. Basically sounded like, before reading your last post from above, that you just decided to create it because you sounded "forced." This could be because you envision it selling for 20 million like another post of yours, maybe not.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I think my biggest problem is that I have no idea how to execute my idea. No idea what steps to take.

I don't believe you. Use Google. The most popular format known to blog-reading world is "5 Steps to _____" or "10 Ways to _____". Stop lying to yourself and making excuses, saying that you have no idea what steps to take.

Oh wait, that's actually STEP 1: stop lying to yourself and making excuses.

Whether or not it's a good idea, is a different question that you should focus on. Google will come to your rescue there, as well... it will tell you exactly how to validate your idea. "How to validate a business idea" returns 2,450,000 results in (0.34 seconds). That's STEP 2.

Your mental program is buggy and caught in a loop. You are waiting for an idea about how to execute your idea? Hit Control-Break and just stop it.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I can't or I don't know how are not acceptable answers, go learn and start doing.

Jason K

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Mar 10, 2013
Market the idea before you invest in making it. Do a FB 'Like' campaign for the characteristics of your target market -- "Click 'Like' if you LOVE Amish beards and ex-Amish attitudes!", to stick with my theme. This way you'd attract women who like that sort of thing and men who fit the description, and will see the size of your niche. Have FB charge you by impressions (CPM) for this one. If you get a ton of Likes, now you know there's a market for your site.

THEN you can go build it. And you have a higher chance of attracting funding, too. Interact with your fans on the page, and find out more about what they want and how they look for a partner. Make your site emulate that process.

You need some sort of content management system...a way users can fill out their own profiles, and a way of searching those profiles for good matches. Later you can sell advertising spots, so make sure those are built in.

I have a friend who developed a dating site and accompanying proprietary search function. Maybe he will help you or sell you the code. PM me if you want me to connect you.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Are you sure this is what you want to be doing though?

VinBed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 1, 2013
Don't fall in love with your ideas - ideas are merely potential paths you can travel down. Some lead to dead ends, and some paths cross over into others. Eventually one of these paths will take you to where you want to be.

I've gone through probably 10-15 different ideas and attempted about a half dozen of them so far. Eventually you get a lot better at execution, and that changes things. You have to view all of those roadblocks and failures as learning experiences that eventually make you a very savvy entrepreneur.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.