The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

'Making it' while living at home

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
bump for newbies.
Very interesting prospectives. One thing is for sure is no matter where you start you're sacrificing the other. If you stay at home you might gain on the financial side by saving costs, but you'll lost out on privacy and other growth experiences on the flip side if you move out, you'll have more of a financial burden but you'll gain more freedom in a different way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Almost wishing I moved back home and asked my mom if I could pay cheap rent and downgrade the vehicle while working less. The fastlane itch makes me undecided on where to live and I am in the slowlane currently with job/gf/apt renting. Moving every year is time consuming, stressful, and just overall annoying. GF feels like it will hurt her image to friends and such moving back home, but I actually enjoyed living with her parents. It allowed me to save money for once. Plus, as you grow older, it seems like you just lose consistent touch with your parents. But, there's no "right" way for anything on this, so it's whatever keeps you the most happy/motivated/focused at all times.

alecs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I think it depends. I moved out of my mother's house to another country, but now I`m staying with my brother, his wife and 2 other friends. It's great, but not if you want to stay focused. I`m in the slow lane. Very slow. It's great being around family,friends and having an active life but I spend money left and right because there is always something to do. I don't want to do that anymore. Whenever I`m doing some research,reading a book or taking a course online, something comes up.

Living alone is the answer. I feel like I`ll be more focused that way and could concentrate better on whatever work I have to do.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I think it depends. I moved out of my mother's house to another country, but now I`m staying with my brother, his wife and 2 other friends. It's great, but not if you want to stay focused. I`m in the slow lane. Very slow. It's great being around family,friends and having an active life but I spend money left and right because there is always something to do. I don't want to do that anymore. Whenever I`m doing some research,reading a book or taking a course online, something comes up.

Living alone is the answer. I feel like I`ll be more focused that way and could concentrate better on whatever work I have to do.

What type of stuff comes up? And yeah, if you live with a group of people, that can be difficult; especially if you are all around the same age or the people aren't driven like you. When I lived with roommates, we all played poker, so that was what we all primarily did; then went out together and such so it was awesome. If you have people always wanting to go have fun while you are trying to work, then that becomes an issue. Your last line is basically it, and I feel the same way. After the girlfriend goes the same way, the dog actually lays down and shuts up and it's just complete silence. No ipad movies running, no noise whatsoever; just silence. We actually cancelled cable so now I can just sit/read/think. Living alone with a great friend/family support system close by is probably the answer, but not the same household.

alecs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
What type of stuff comes up? And yeah, if you live with a group of people, that can be difficult; especially if you are all around the same age or the people aren't driven like you. When I lived with roommates, we all played poker, so that was what we all primarily did; then went out together and such so it was awesome. If you have people always wanting to go have fun while you are trying to work, then that becomes an issue. Your last line is basically it, and I feel the same way. After the girlfriend goes the same way, the dog actually lays down and shuts up and it's just complete silence. No ipad movies running, no noise whatsoever; just silence. We actually cancelled cable so now I can just sit/read/think. Living alone with a great friend/family support system close by is probably the answer, but not the same household.

Stuff like "let's go there, let's do that, etc" .. Don't get me wrong, I like to have my fun too, but I'd like to put my energy into learning/working rather than watching the latest "celebrity" scandals on t.v. We are about the same age (they are a few years older than me - mid 20's, I`m 21) and they're not driven like me. That's why it is kind of hard to focus. Another problem it's the fact that whenever I say I`m working (on the laptop) some people laugh. They still think the internet is only for facebook and celebrity gossip. It's crazy!
So, until I get my own place it's going to be difficult to focus, but I`ll try nevertheless.
It's nice that your girl goes the same way, that means you can have your quiet time whenever you need to.

@vick: As long as you never give up - true, never give up, no matter how hard it is. I keep telling myself that every day.

presh22

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 13, 2013
Adversity is the catalyst which invites those with will and discipline to transcend to where they belong. Complacency is a key component of having it too easy in life. When others nourish you, your drive for independence is inhibited. I was fortunate to have very generous parents, however I demanded to always repay sums of money borrowed from them for my enterprises. Conversely, my siblings "borrowed' money, possessions, etc without even a slight consideration of repayment. People can give you everything, except adversity. Those among the mega-wealthy, pursue adversity constantly, because they know that in its absence, idleness perseveres

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
I come from an Asian family. The kind that.. works at Hampton for 36 years, becomes a cleaning manager, saves money like CRAZY, lives a super boring life just to end up with $360k and a car and house they paid cash for by age 64, then gives me advice to become a nurse and run the same course...
They yelled at me and ignored me for a year after I quit my State job with "great benefits and 20 year retirement".

Although family loves us and wants what is best for us... I HAD to get away from them. We are like the 5 people we are closest to.
While I had my state job, I read a book called Rich Dad Poor Dad.. and a book on flipping houses. Within 3 months, I moved out of Mom's house, moved 160 miles away and got my own apartment in a bigger city with more potential for my future.
After 13 months, bought my first house, created an LLC, and made 70% more money than my state job that they were so angry that I quit.
Also my relationship with my girlfriend got better once we bought a house.. the house is twice the size of our apartment.
She has the bedroom and living room, and I have my own office/man cave. Space is important. Alone time is important. That's when we think and grow.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned.-Fight Club

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.