The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

looking for any and all resources on "Positioning yourself as an expert"

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
hey guy's

really finding a strong direction in this "self help, guru, coaching" thing...

I'm looking for any idea's or resources on the subject of "Becoming/Positioning yourself as an expert" u guy's might already be familiar with that are useful to you.

So far I'm thinking about releasing a ton of useful content for starters, but I'm open to any and everything that can help me with this goal.

I've done sales, worked with people, helped alot of people in my personal life.. but growing a big following is something I've never done before so again, anything good on this subject is welcome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Banned

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013

forchunet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 6, 2013
Write and then write some more. Find the premier blog or forum of whatever topic you are an expert in. Answer people's questions with insightful information. Do this for free for months. Set up key word alerts so that whenever someone asks a question on something you know the answer to, you are the first to respond with insightful information. Provide sources to your info. Start a blog providing free, actionable, insightful, resourceful information. Reach out to forums and blogs once your name becomes more familiar and offer to write articles. Start writing articles. Do this for free for a while until people start recognizing you as an expert. Then start charging for your info and then profit.

Basically hustle, hustle, profit.

tamo42

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jan 9, 2013
Publish a kindle book. Authors are still seen as authorities.

If you want to put some money into it, you could get it done next week.

• Banned

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Publish a kindle book. Authors are still seen as authorities.

If you want to put some money into it, you could get it done next week.
that's actually awesome advice, I made a book last night I'm running a test PPC campaign on it right now.

• Banned

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Write and then write some more. Find the premier blog or forum of whatever topic you are an expert in. Answer people's questions with insightful information. Do this for free for months. Set up key word alerts so that whenever someone asks a question on something you know the answer to, you are the first to respond with insightful information. Provide sources to your info. Start a blog providing free, actionable, insightful, resourceful information. Reach out to forums and blogs once your name becomes more familiar and offer to write articles. Start writing articles. Do this for free for a while until people start recognizing you as an expert. Then start charging for your info and then profit.

Basically hustle, hustle, profit.

wowwwwwwwww i never thought of the keyword thing, I'm gonna do that.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
hey guy's

I'm looking for any idea's or resources on the subject of "Becoming/Positioning yourself as an expert" u guy's might already be familiar with that are useful to you.

So far I'm thinking about releasing a ton of useful content for starters, but I'm open to any and everything that can help me with this goal.

I've done sales, worked with people, helped alot of people in my personal life.. but growing a big following is something I've never done before so again, anything good on this subject is welcome.

The right way:
Step 1. Be incredibly successful and renown for something significant
Step 2. Be humble
Step 3. Help people from a philanthropic standpoint vs. monetary standpoint.

The wrong way:
Step 1. Try and manufacture guru status
Step 2. Try and sell people shit
Step 3. Aspire to be a guru

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Here is a second vote for Dan Kennedy. His take on positioning as an expert is based on the premise that first and foremost, you must BE, not do.

Some of his philosophy:

*You must have an air of uncompromising superiority backed by ice cold confidence.
*Congruence. You must decide exactly what you wish to be known for and reinforce it at every turn with how you speak, act, and look.
*Know what you are really selling. You are not selling credentials, expertise, services, or even results. You are selling your confidence, your certainty, and your control.
*He believes the quickest way to boost your expert status is to write a book. It may sound daunting, but it's easier to do these days than you think.

Whether you agree with all of Mr. Kennedy's views and methods or not, there is much to be learned

Some of the books he recommends on this subject:

48 Laws of Power-Greene
Power-Korda
Selling The Invisible-Beckwith
Thick Face, Black Heart-Chin-Ning Chu
Winning Through Intimidation-Ringer

And I would add that reading Kennedy's off the shelf books give you a basic foundation of his methods and beliefs before investing in the higher level products he offers.

ricktx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jun 27, 2013
Texas, USA
hey guy's

Right or wrong almost 30 years ago with 3 whole years of mainframe computer expense under my belt. I started my own consulting business, not in mainframes mind you. On Xenix (A small subset of Unix) POS machines. I had very little experience with these type of systems, and no one ever told me what I was doing did not make much since. Heck it was the mid 1980's and computers were made of magic dust, most people though. Now, I will be honest with you I had no formal college degree. Matter fact I had to go to summer school to get of high school, just a few short years before, with a C average. School was never my thing.

So I left my job and started my little consulting company. I ran a little ad in a local business journal and waited for the phone to ring. It took some time, but it did start to ring slowly. On about my 6th prospect visit, I walk in and the owner said “so your the POS expert that understands our computers and POS systems?”. Well to tell you the truth I had never heard of his POS system. Never the less, I looked him in the eye and said “yes I am. So how can I help?”. To make a long story short. This meeting started a relationship with one of my biggest client that lasted 8 plus years. There was a catch he wanted to know how he was to know, I knew what I was doing. Did I have any references he ask or customers he could call? I was honest with him and explained I knew the computer systems well. However, he was my first customer as a consultant, on my own, and then offered to do him one better. I told him to give me a task, and I will complete it for him. If he did not like the results, it was free of change and he would never have to see me again. He looked at me and shook my hand, and said “fair enough”. The problem was simple, and the task was completed quickly, and the deal was done. I became a POS systems expert that day. The process is simple. If you say your an expert, you are. However, be able and willing to prove it.

From that day on for years, with every prospect, I always offered about 20 hours of consulting work for free. If they were convinced I was an expert, and that I could help them, I was paid. If not, I walked away, and so could they, with no hard feelings. In almost 9 years, I only had one prospective client that did not pay me the initial trial period hours.

You see back then there was a shortage of computer consultants of any kind, and most of them sucked. By proving I was indeed good at what I did, and removing there risk. I gave them something no one else dared offer. Satisfaction that if I failed (they did not have to pay). Therefore, I almost always got a chance to prove myself. Once I succeed and created value, I was the expert they needed, and they became a customer. It was really that simple back then.

The best part of the story of “back in the day”, is it still works today, and very few people do it. People are so worried about what is in it for them, they forget to solve others problems and offer value first. Offer to got the extra mile and solve one of there small problems for free. Show people you are willing to prove yourself, and risk failing on your dime, and you will be amazed. Once you have proven yourself, you will become an expert to them, and everyone they tell about you. Instantly without question and the rest will simply not matter any longer.

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
lmao woww you guy's beat me over the head with good info, I didn't expect this... I gotta like... get all these books as audiobooks and tear through them....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.