The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Legalized Scamming (Rental Property Stories from HELL)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hey, if we were smart we would put all our money together and create a new galaxy where madness and hell doesn't exist. We could wear alien goggles and see their true exterior. Be delivered from a life sentence of being trapped in a world of insanity imposed on us by others imaginations.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
You have no idea... I made a giant mistake investing in a low income area. The cashflow was enticing when I first analyzed the deals, but I didnt account for the higher maintenance costs and headaches. It makes the business unbearable.

Another story...

I have a tenant right across the street from the deadbeat I mentioned earlier. On my way into the neighborhood, I see her walking with her daughter. She stops me and tells me the reason she was $200 short on last months rent was because she broke up with her baby-daddy and he moved out.

I say, "OK well you have a late fee of $100 so this month I expect $300 extra." I go off to handle my business, and before I leave, I knock on the door. Her sister opens the door and who do I see sleeping on the couch? The baby-daddy who supposedly moved out. And not only that, he is wearing new Jordans, the kids are wearing Jordans, and there's a new flat screen TV.

I never got full payment, so I filed for eviction and she's due to be locked out tomorrow. Wish me luck... lol

lololol I really hate people. She is probably going to come up with some story about how she wont have any place to live, and once you lock the doors, she is going to be crying on the curb with her new flatscreen.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I am actually going through a some what similar situation in a condo I own. My tenant thinks that paying rent is something that is negotiable, rent will be due at the beginning of the month and she will call me up and say "How about this month I pay 900 instead of 1200?"

I got sick of it, and asked her nicely to leave. I said that I would terminate her lease and there would be no lawyers involved. But she refuses to leave until I pay her 2 months worth of rent! So now I have to go to court to get her evicted, because now she refuses to leave and she refuses to pay.

I hate people like this, they are just parasites who think they can leach off of everything and everyone. In my situation, I think my tenant thought that she could push me around- I am about 10 years younger than her, but I look like I could be 17. But regardless, people like this are disgusting.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
My question is, If the person is "legally" living because of the 30 day tenant thing, where is the contract stating he is a resident that this person signed? Where is the payment? Was it on AirBnB?

AirBnB hasn't been able to contact him nor did he pay therefore the contract is null.

Cut the electricity. Make this person's life a living hell. If he is a tenant, it is his responsibility to provide electricity to the house. Let him try to sue.

If he wants to drop bombs, I would drop f'n nukes.
^Semi-stolen from @Vigilante

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
LMAO... she did that last Thursday at court. I told the judge about the new stuff in the house, and she was like, "It didn't cost much, I got it from Rent-A-Center." Me and the judge just looked at her like she was crazy.

So you can go and rent a TV and an Xbox, but you cant pay the rent for the house you have it in??

The mentality of the people Im dealing with is beyond slow lane. The mother's raise the kids to cut corners and try to milk the system.
My dad rents out his beach house in eastern washington and there is always things being broken by the rentors and stains of make up and other crap always left in the carpet

edit: reminds me of another time when people were renting out the house and the people that were occupying it went an egged the neighbors house

Last edited:

Tick

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Dec 29, 2013
Alaska
Real estate is just like any other investment. If you learn as much as you can, hire professionals when you need help, avoid fads, and master your trade you'll be fine. Sure you'll hit bumps, but where in life won't you?

If you jump in without learning, try and do everything yourself (cause you're so smart), chase fads, and take your investments lightly, you'll end up like this. You'll hit bumps, and they'll be big ones that are hard to recover from like this one.

This is why I don't invest in stocks. Nothing wrong with them. They just aren't my expertise yet.

A sidewalker came into our office threatening to sue this week. My wife calmly explained the law. I explained how I'd be showing my pictures of his weed in the apartment to the judge if he took this route. Then she looked him straight in the eye and said...

"If you need to get out of your lease early, that's fine and you have options. But if you want to sue us....bring it" Things got real quiet.

He has since calmed down.

Certain states and cities, just aren't conducive to real estate investment. California is one of them. Oh, and don't rent your place out without a real lease from some website that really doesn't give a crap if the tenant pulls this stuff. Unless you feel like explaining to the 60 yr old judge working evictions what Airbnb is. We win evictions several times a month in my business. But we go in prepared. We don't walk in with a screen shot from an iPhone.

Last edited:

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
Not only is it a good lesson in real estate but its a good lesson in business in general. Don't serve sidewalkers.

One of the guys from Dragons Den owns 60 health clubs here in the UK. Hes had to drop prices and the sidewalkers have come and a mess of things. Always complaining to get refunds, things being stolen, trying to get friends in for free etc etc.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Shit, if you pulled some shit like this where I come from, you'd get you a$$ SHANKED! Fur real!

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
Think you might have a book in you? TENANTS FROM HELL, Tales from the Low-Rent District, Lazy F*cks, Losers, and More! ... these stories are straight out of hell.

My mother always says that, but I dont have a happy ending yet. I think the book would need to have some kind of lesson other than stay away from sect.8 scum

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
I had a very good experience with my lone section 8 tenant. My ex business partner has 14 duplex units filled with sec 8 tenants in Ft Worth and gets the rent payments direct deposited into his bank account every month...he loves it and is constantly on the lookout for his next duplex to buy. That's not to say he hasn't had a few bad experiences, but in Texas, you can have a tenant evicted in 3 weeks or less...that's key, IMO.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009

Please elaborate.

Kicking tenants out that damage your property and waiting years to hopefully recoup expenses is not justice nor a good business model.

I dont know how good of a book it would make. The stories would be entertaining for sure, but there would be no lesson to really teach.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Please elaborate.

Kicking tenants out that damage your property and waiting years to hopefully recoup expenses is not justice nor a good business model.

I dont know how good of a book it would make. The stories would be entertaining for sure, but there would be no lesson to really teach.

What i mean by justice is maybe there is some gray area in law or something where you could shaft them. I dont know how it would work though. Maybe something like offer them some type of gift like a car and then report them to the IRS when they dont file it on their taxes and then take them to court over the damages they didnt pay and sue for the car. I just thought of that off the top of my head in a few seconds. Obviously there are flaws everywhere, but you get my point.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
"My income while working averages $1,000-7,000 per day." Right. Because that's what someone making 2.55 million dollars a year does, they rent someone else's condo for a month, then try to get out of all fees on a technicality. I'd have gone straight to small claims. I bet his income is a lot closer to $10-70 per day.

That is an absolutely massive margin.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
An update on these toolbags.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airbnb-squatter-says-totally-squat-155539027.html

These two little tweedle-dee needles are going to piss off the wrong person. Doesn't look they could fight themselves out of a wet paper bag.

Airbnb_Squatter_Says_He_Would-a5095aa8a154c358160f824841b0d8d0

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
I inform all prospects that...

I require 3 times the rent in income. Verified.
I will do complete criminal and credit background checks. Which BTW will cost them $35 for each adult. Verified.
No convictions or evictions for the past 20 years. Verified.
Our houses are under market rent to increase the pool.

Verified.

I get a return call from about 5% of those that I speak to. Next.

I would have stricter rules if I my units weren't in a low income area... I tried having a credit check criteria when I first got started and had 80% vacancies for that year... killed me on mtg and the bump with vacant insurance so I just accepted the fact that sect8 was my best bet in the area and went that route.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I would have stricter rules if I my units weren't in a low income area... I tried having a credit check criteria when I first got started and had 80% vacancies for that year... killed me on mtg and the bump with vacant insurance so I just accepted the fact that sect8 was my best bet in the area and went that route.
If you stay a little below market (about 10%), you get more to choose from. Our inventory isn't the lowest income. But, it is on the low end of SFR's. There are few small "houses" for rent in our town. Our 2/1 that we're turning over this week is the only vacancy of it's type in town.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
My Dad rents out a few houses and I help him on finding new tenants we simply just meet the person and judge them on how they come across. Try find out a bit of background information on them aka where they are living just now (check it out if its sitting like a dump they are definitely not going to take care of your property) check them out on Facebook/Twitter etc. If they are constantly updating about wild partys etc then they are not the tenant for you. Fair enough its their privacy but its our property.
Also my Dad takes £0 deposit but gets a contract written by his lawyer that if any damages or the property isnt left in the condition that it was rented out as then they are liable for all costs and legal expenses. Seems to work fine for him.
Oh and the important thing we advertise just that little bit dearer £50-75 than the closest property it somehow helps filter the scum that extra cash.

In America could you not get your lawyers to do the same basically let them sign a contract wavering their human/domestic rights in terms of agreement in living in your apartment. That means you are not liable for nothing other than keeping the property to a satisfactory living standard.
Sorry if this barely makes sense I am typing with one eye open.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
My Dad rents out a few houses and I help him on finding new tenants we simply just meet the person and judge them on how they come across. Try find out a bit of background information on them aka where they are living just now (check it out if its sitting like a dump they are definitely not going to take care of your property) check them out on Facebook/Twitter etc. If they are constantly updating about wild partys etc then they are not the tenant for you. Fair enough its their privacy but its our property.
Also my Dad takes £0 deposit but gets a contract written by his lawyer that if any damages or the property isnt left in the condition that it was rented out as then they are liable for all costs and legal expenses. Seems to work fine for him.
Oh and the important thing we advertise just that little bit dearer £50-75 than the closest property it somehow helps filter the scum that extra cash.

In America could you not get your lawyers to do the same basically let them sign a contract wavering their human/domestic rights in terms of agreement in living in your apartment. That means you are not liable for nothing other than keeping the property to a satisfactory living standard.
Sorry if this barely makes sense I am typing with one eye open.

Well the reason for the deposit is to take care of damages. At the very least some of the damages that may be incurred during the course of a rental period.

Thus, a contract without deposit seems good in theory. However, you are placing your faith in the court system to get your money for you.

While a rental agreement "contract" with; First, Last, and deposit helps mitigate "some" of the downside in the course of the rental period. "This is the common system in the U.S. and may be different from Scotland."

Where I am from it is impossible to Squeeze blood out of a turnip.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Well the reason for the deposit is to take care of damages. At the very least some of the damages that may be incurred during the course of a rental period.

Thus, a contract without deposit seems good in theory. However, you are placing your faith in the court system to get your money for you.

While a rental agreement "contract" with; First, Last, and deposit helps mitigate "some" of the downside in the course of the rental period. "This is the common system in the U.S. and may be different from Scotland."

Where I am from it is impossible to Squeeze blood out of a turnip.
Yeah we take photos of the propertys before anyone moves in - in detail.
Where is it you are from? Thats what im saying could a contract not be written and agreed to by a tenant so that they cant file for BS claims against you.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Yeah we take photos of the propertys before anyone moves in - in detail.
Where is it you are from? Thats what im saying could a contract not be written and agreed to by a tenant so that they cant file for BS claims against you.

U.S. California.

You can sue for pretty much anything here. Thus, results may vary in your country.

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
Id retitle this thread Maksym Pashanin and Denys Pashanin scam

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
From the sound of it, the landlord was dealing with a bonafide sociopath(s). From a google search on "percentage of sociopaths in the general population":

1. In her 2005 book The Sociopath Next Door, psychologist Martha Stout warned that sociopaths make up four percent of the U.S. population; last spring, journalist Jon Ronson detailed his search for psychopathy from prisons to boardrooms in The Psychopath Test.
That's 4 out of every 100 people! :O

I've had a few different friends who've had run-ins in their businesses with genuine sociopaths. The tip off is how unbelievably brazen their scams are, plus a complete lack of remorse or shame when caught.
And, the mentally ill are a protected class.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Gaaah! Protect our deranged psychos! They didn't MEAN to rip you off and possibly ruin you...honest, they just couldn't help it. :headbanger:
You can't discriminate against them in the selection process because they're fine when they're on their meds. So, you need firm quantifiable standards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.