The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Law of attraction, do you use it?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I am currently reading MJ's book, and its great.

I've also read Robert Himlers book "Far From It", and they are both great.

So, in Far From It, it stresses positive thinking. Yeah know?

"Imagine yourself putting keys into your new car"

"Image the website blowing up, so much that you can feel the emotions"

"If you think about it....IT WILL HAPPEN".

I have to say, the law of attraction and positive thinking has done a lot of good for me, some stories are found to be laughable, but it won't work with people who don't want it to work. Like someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized, or puts up the mental block- it just won't work.

So, in now I've got a reenforced mind set, and MJ's book is like someone walking up to me, hitting me in the face and saying "Dude, you gonna think about it, or are you gonna move and make it happen! You've got the tools, lets go!"

But do you guys use it or believe in it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Turboboost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 11, 2012
Hi there Tommy!

Last year I've been to a seminar held by Mel Gill here in my town. I have to say it was quite convincing and it also raised my self confidence. I've decided to test this philosophy on my vacation for the first time. So I went out with a friend (he didn't know what I was about to do) and we went to a beach bar to have a few drinks. I must say we are not ugly or something but just ordinary, polite (until we get drunk), nice guys. So suddenly I spotted 5 girls and 3 guys sitting a few tables away from us. The girls were those top looking girls who I usually wouldn't even approach but this time they were a part of my experiment. I said to my friend "Do you see those girls there? In next 2 minutes we will be sitting next to them or they will sit next to us...". He said "How many drinks did you already have today, don't you see they already have company?". I smiled and said "Yes but there are only 3 guys so this leaves us 2 girls, right?". He wanted to say something but I stood up and went into action. I introduced myself to all the people sitting at the table and explained that me and my friend there are alone on vacation and have nothing to talk about anymore and we could use some company if they don't mind. The reaction was a surprise and it raised my heartbeat but I tried to look cool in front of them. They were incredibly friendly and invited us to come and join them. The funny thing was that one guy was a brother of one of the girls and the other two were his friends who waited for their girlfriends to come out of the hotel room. So suddenly there were 2 guys (us) and 5 top looking friendly girls. This night was one crazy night and I never thought something like this could ever happen to me (no we didn't have an orgy but I spent the night (and a few other nights) with the most beautiful girl I've ever met).

This story shows how people look at situations. Most people would think like my friend and if you don't try, you will never get the clear and true picture of a situation. I've learned a lot from this and now I think of it everytime I'm trying to achieve something.

Thank you Mel Gill!

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
cool story turboboost!

It worked for me like that too, be it with approaching girls or approaching business people. Dont think too much about it, but if you think about it think about a positiv outcome/reaction and then just do it. Theres no big secret there. But for people who are not very extroverted I think this stuff helps.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I use positive thinking and attraction all the time multiple times a day.

For me personally it works. And . . . if it doesn't what did I lose by thinking positive and thinking about how I want my life to be?

I look at my life and I am so very very blessed. It truly is astounding to me how fortunate/lucky I am.

I know some entrepreneurs don't like to think about luck and want to attribute all their success to hard work and/or being smart.

I have ZERO trouble saying I am one of the VERY luckiest people ever to be on the face of the earth. My brother on the other hand is quite happy to tell anyone who will listen how unlucky he is.

Our lives are 180 degrees apart from each other as far as happiness and success.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"The law of attraction is this: You don't attract what you want. You attract what you are." - Dr. Wayne Dyer

Which is related to...

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." - Anais Nin

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think it all comes down to focus.

If you focus obsessively about something (i.e. having a Ferrari) and that is all you dream and fantasize about, guess what you will do with your life?

You will probably spend all the time looking for ways to reach that goal.

The key, to me, is focus, focus, focus...

Keep your target in mind and sight (a photoshopped pic of yourself driving the car? The beach where you want to spend your days? etc etc)

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
When I feel my best or just good, I see the future bright. When I am feeling worst or sub optimal, the world is a heavy, difficult place.

I try to be in the moment as often as possible. Simple, but not easy.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
When I feel my best or just good, I see the future bright. When I am feeling worst or sub optimal, the world is a heavy, difficult place.

I try to be in the moment as often as possible. Simple, but not easy.

I have the same sentiments, optimism is the preferred path, but I find it blinding and self centered, where more realistic view is heavy, but pays much more attention to surroundings.

What do you see in the moment?

It's really quite interesting that one can add a story to reality to make it work better for himself.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Well, in the moment is just what I do right now. Not being in the future, or in the past.

A small example: I am having this conversation with someone, while he is talking, I am already thinking what I am going to say next (= not listening to the other person).
Another example: I am driving my car, in my mind I am already at my destination. When I am at my destination, I am already in my car back home.

So, for me, being in the moment is all about being aware of all my senses. What do I smell? What do I hear? What do I feel? What do I taste?

I am nowhere near where I want to be with this (which is, again, "in the future I will be... "), but I try to typ this, while I am typing this.

When I eat, I am eating. When I walk, I am walking. That sort of thing. Simple, but not easy. The mind takes over a lot dwelling in the past, making up the future.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I kind of wanted to bump this to hear others opinions. Is using this method far out, or is it appropriate with the correct moderation and thought process as you guys have mentioned above?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I do not really use it, but I do think positive. I am to the point where I do truly believe that I can do exactly what I say I am going to or can do. It is empowering and helps with confidence more than anything. Confidence can help with people who matter too. You obviously need a business to do what most of us want to do. You can't sit around and think about lambos all day and expect to get there.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I am currently reading MJ's book, and its great.

I've also read Robert Himlers book "Far From It", and they are both great.

So, in Far From It, it stresses positive thinking. Yeah know?

"Imagine yourself putting keys into your new car"

"Image the website blowing up, so much that you can feel the emotions"

"If you think about it....IT WILL HAPPEN".

I have to say, the law of attraction and positive thinking has done a lot of good for me, some stories are found to be laughable, but it won't work with people who don't want it to work. Like someone who doesn't want to be hypnotized, or puts up the mental block- it just won't work.

So, in now I've got a reenforced mind set, and MJ's book is like someone walking up to me, hitting me in the face and saying "Dude, you gonna think about it, or are you gonna move and make it happen! You've got the tools, lets go!"

But do you guys use it or believe in it?

I agree, but there's a caveat. I'm wired to think about investing almost 24-7. I can't NOT think about it. I don't MAKE myself think about investing - it just happens. I didn't plan it or do anything to encourage it. When things go sour, prices collapse, and panic hits the streets, my mind goes into overdrive and I think about it even more - like a predator that smells a weak animal.

I'm not sure this can be taught. Maybe. I don't know. All I know is that I've always been like this.

But. I think about investing in a particular way. Other investors think in other ways. There are a million ways to make a million dollars. And it's true.

How is my investing "particular"? Without getting too complicated, I think about how I can maximize my chance for a solid return AND ensure that I don't have to do much work. Now, this limits my return because if I was willing to ramp up my effort, I'm sure my return could be greater, but that's not my personality.

So, without going off topic..."If you think about it...IT WILL HAPPEN" is true...to an extent. People who are wired to be entrepreneurs (and there are many many different kinds of entrepreneurs just like there are many many different kinds of investors), can't stop thinking about their business.

The statement is kind of obvious/redundant because...if I DIDN'T think about investing, of course I wouldn't be successful at investing. That's obvious? Isn't it? How can somebody EXCEL at something if they DIDN'T think about it all the time in a positive way? It's not really possible. For better or worse obsession is closely associated with achievement.

Just my thoughts.

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
I think the idea that the universe is just waiting around for your mental direction in order to give you what you want is total B.S. Just think about the millions living under a brutal dictator with family members in prison or 'disappeared', don't you think night and day tens of thousands are wishing for his overthrow & death? Notice that the universe doesn't do squat.

The "Law of Attraction" should be called the "Trend to Attraction" and it totally depends on you (not the universe). Work your tail off to get in a 'B' movie and maybe that big Hollywood producer will notice you for his next blockbuster, meet 100 people & suddenly one remembers you for that next big business deal, walk into a room of beautiful women with confidence and style and some are attracted to you (b-t-w if you study 'pick-up', acting as TurboBoost did is a perfect way to attract women). Alternately sit at home in your mother's basement and none of this will happen (unless you happen to be working on an Internet business from that basement).

Giving the credit for these things to the "Law of Attraction" is like saying Michael Jordan is a great basketball player because of the breakfast cereal he eats. Not only stupid and wrong, but insulting to MJ. Focus, knowledge & action breeds connections, wealth & power. People see the side benefits of connections, wealth & power as 'good luck'. As Arthur C Clarke said, "any sufficiently advanced technology appears to be magic" and for sidewalkers this is so far from their realm of thinking, it must be magic.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
To me who cares if it works or not.

I will still use it every day and attribute a good deal of my success to this.

It would be interesting to see how successful the people in this thread are who DO use it and vice versa.

Not sure why people seem to be getting so upset and actually using swear words about saying it does now work lol

Talk about setting yourself up for negativity.

If you don't like/use it, rock on. Probably your time is better spent actually working on your business as opposed to posting why something, which you have not even tried with great effort does not work.

Lgallion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 2, 2012
If you don't like/use it, rock on. Probably your time is better spent actually working on your business as opposed to posting why something, which you have not even tried with great effort does not work.
Just to clarify, I think that it DOES work, just not in the way that people normally describe. Before people understood germs and illness someone discovered that opening the windows of a hospital kept diseases from spreading to other patients. You could have attributed that to 'magical windows' or 'magical wind' but the truth is that the 'magical wind' carried the patients germs outside and not around to the other people in the ward. Rock on with the LoA, because it does work - but not just because of the Universe IMHO. A sidewalker can sit and think & think about something and it will never come true because their is no focus & action. Place yourself in the right places, in the right way with the right people and miracles can happen - it is just that it is a 'bake from scratch' and not a 'just add water' sort of recipe. If the 'Universe' or some other sort of deity is involved, then great - but I just don't think it acts on it's own from just a little bit of positive thought. It simply takes more than that, and the simple "Law of Attraction" stuff misleads people with a "get rich easy" idea.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
What would be some good examples if HOW people use it and how they got results.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I think it should be called attraction with action. That could be extremely powerful.

Being laser focused on what you want and being laser focused on taking the steps to get it. The harder I work the luckier I get... This is my interpretation on the Law of Attraction.

pegasus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 30, 2011
What would be some good examples if HOW people use it and how they got results.

I'm a decent 'student' of the law of attraction and the biggest misunderstanding about it is that people think that if you think positively about something, then you will attract it.

But the "secret" about the law of attraction is not thinking it, but feeling it, and that's the biggest challenge as most of us have a hard time visualizing something, and then once visualized, feeling that new experience without physically experiencing, YET.

Just as a quick example...I have used the law of attraction to "heal" a malignant tumor in my nostril and to land a contracting gig that allows me to work from home. Of course, I have had other smaller experiences with it such as "accidentally" running into people I wanted to speak to, being in places at the right time, and even having the so called "amazing luck" to avoid some situations.

I would say my biggest challenge with it is sticking with the visualizations and focusing on them. Like a lot of people, I get bored easily and I want to see quick results, which are possible, but in most cases, patience is key.

But to give you a quick example of how I approach the law of attraction below are the steps I use, but kind of hard to say they are steps as the steps are intertwined....anyway, here they are.

-Go from negative to general
-Once I'm in a general place, then think of all the positive aspects of a situation.
-As I'm thinking of the positive aspects of a situation, try to illicit how that experience will make you feel
-And throughout, appreciate the experience

So to give an example.

Let's assume I want to meet a person. It can be a boss/client/gf/bf, etc. This person is very busy and they don't have time for you. And if they do have the time for you, their attitude is not the best, and thus you think it is best to avoid this person.

But using my steps above this is what I do.

I start where I'm at, and that is, the person is hard to approach. They are mean when you talk to them, they don't like to to others, etc.
I try to think of all my negative notions I have about this person and I write them down as I go along.

Once they are written down, then I try to soften them and generalize them. For example, I can say, This person is hard to approach, but even though they are hard to approach, in the past, I have spoken to this person, and we actually had a good conversation then; it was brief, but in that brief moment, we enjoyed what we talked about and we even laughed about it.

You're taking your negative notion, generalizing it a bit, and then taking it into a positive place.

You do that with all the negative items on the list. It is very difficult at first, but the idea is that you cannot go from saying, this person is hard to meet, to "I'll meet this person tomorrow and we will have a good time." The law of attraction doesn't work that way because on its basis, if you're thinking lets say of not being able to do something, your brain only has the momentum to think of all the bad things; that's why you first try to break that momentum and you take a negative aspect to a general place, and then to a positive place.

Once you have your positive ideas in place, then you try to illicit from your mind how the experience will feel. And obviously, you think of the positive aspects of the experience. Thus for my example, I would think and feel how when talking to this person, I feel good, I feel like laughing, I feel like having fun, I feel at ease, etc.

Once I'm able to easily get to the feeling place, then law of attraction does its magic and situations are put in place where you actually meet the person.

Those are my steps in general, but there is also the idea of making peace with where you are, and just being an appreciator of life.

But I would say the main thing about the so called law of attraction is visualing and feeling it!

I used to believe that I had bad luck, but now I believe that I'm either a good creator when things go my way, or a lazy one when things don't go my way. I'm responsible for all my experiences and nobody is to be blamed or congratulated but me.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
People say it doesn't work because they fail to understand how and why it works.

They think in terms of magic, unicorns and genies - "If I shut my eyes and think hard enough it will appear before me".

What ACTUALLY happens is if you focus your thoughts and think positively about your goals you will find that opportunities open up in previously hidden places for you. You then have to DO SOMETHING about it. A million side-roads marked "shortcut" don't get you there quicker if you never actually turn down one.

Imagine wanting to get a perfect grade on a college test. Person A says "I'll think hard and positively about it and my thoughts will bring me success!" Person B says "I'll think hard and positively about it and do anything I can to get there".

So person A goes around telling people "Oh man, it's great, I'm going to get a perfect score, pass the beer!". Person B on the other hand perks up when they hear the teacher talking about "office hours if you need help", takes note of the tutoring poster pinned by the bus stop and gives them a call, takes a moment to jump into a conversation on the subject material he hears some people discussing after class, and remembers to study instead of playing X-Box in the 5 hours of downtime they get every night.

So Person A fails, says thinking positively is retarded, and moves on. Person B gets 95% on the test, notices a marking error on the test, brings it to the professor to correct and finishes with 98% and says "there may be something to this thinking thing".

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
When things go sour, prices collapse, and panic hits the streets, my mind goes into overdrive and I think about it even more - like a predator that smells a weak animal.
Ah, great comment...

so, where are you looking for blood these days?

What type of investments is your mind attracting lately?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Na law of attraction/positive thinking/karma doesn't work. lol just kidding.

Yesterday I got an email from a guy who was working on an website for me.

Part of the login password had a certain letter/sign in it. Problem is I could NOT find that key on my key board and thought HOW am I going to get my mail from that site??? I looked and looked and looked and could NOT find it.

Today I send a PM to a member here letting them know a particular domain name is available if they wanted to buy it from Godaddy. The reply thank you and a bit more. It sounded like maybe they were not in a place where they could buy the domain name fast so I offered to buy it for them and give it to them for free.

They reply no need they were going to get it right then. As I am typing my reply I hit the wrong key. Guess which key it is?

Yep you guessed it the key I need to log into my website. It is the ~ key lol

I have been using computers hours every day for over 15 years and NEVER knew it existed until 12 hours after I needed it. :D

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Na law of attraction/positive thinking/karma doesn't work. lol just kidding.

Yesterday I got an email from a guy who was working on an website for me.

Part of the login password had a certain letter/sign in it. Problem is I could NOT find that key on my key board and thought HOW am I going to get my mail from that site??? I looked and looked and looked and could NOT find it.

Today I send a PM to a member here letting them know a particular domain name is available if they wanted to buy it from Godaddy. The reply thank you and a bit more. It sounded like maybe they were not in a place where they could buy the domain name fast so I offered to buy it for them and give it to them for free.

They reply no need they were going to get it right then. As I am typing my reply I hit the wrong key. Guess which key it is?

Yep you guessed it the key I need to log into my website. It is the ~ key lol

I have been using computers hours every day for over 15 years and NEVER knew it existed until 12 hours after I needed it. :D

Pat, get ready to have your mind..BLOWN.

~

Lol just kidding man.

Something I always wondered was, how much time do you need for this to kick in? Can you start thinking about it 10 seconds before, 10 minutes, hours, ect.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
how much time do you need for this to kick in?

It works when you use it. It doesn't when you don't.

You will get better with practice and worse with abstinence.

It's not a skill that is "on" all the time once you "get it".

Also - for anyone curious re: Pat's issue, you can use the Windows Character Map to find basically any key in any font and copy it for use elsewhere. Not a commonly used feature but handy when you are trying to grab a wingding character or you are in front of a weird keyboard.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I have seen feedback within hours. There is an interesting thing to note - focus on what you want, but do what is necessary. So image you are filling up time between "signals" by doing necessary work.

Leoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 9, 2012
Los Angeles/Tokyo
I'm sure there's some merit to constantly and vividly imagine things you want, but another type of law of attraction that has proven to be even more powerful for me is hanging out with people that are a step ahead of me on my particular path. I found that my reality gets "attracted" towards their reality, thereby helping to propel me along my path.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.