The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Launch our landing page!!! Any opinions would be great!!!!

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
Here is the first stage of the new landing page...

Stop Leaks,Stop Roof Leaks,Fix A Leak,Seal A Leak,Repair RV,Repair RV Roof Leak - Flex Seal Liquid Rubber

We launched it last week, but are not seeing the conversion rate that was expected...We are getting clicks, over 100 from Adsense the day we launched, Any Ideas on how to improve the conversion rate? I read somewhere that it takes a couple time of seeing the product before someone decides to buy.. Should I just wait a couple weeks? I'm also considering starting an affiliate program... but don't know where to begin.

Any comments, suggestions, opinions, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
:thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
You mean adwords right? That's a tough nut to crack and I wish I had some solid advice for you. I do know that tweaking conversions involves a lot of time and money.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
yea, I ment adwords and analytics...

I dont know if I should give it time to blossom, or if I should start changing things right away... anybody else go through this kind of trial and error with a landing page?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Make sure you get enough data first. 1000 impressions for example.

a/b split testing is an option. Don't change too much at a time though or you won't know what works.

I'm sure other more experienced folk can give better advice.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
WOW and i dont say that often, you did an excellent job, butttttt you lack credibility.

It took me 2 minutes to realize 500,000 sold. What are you doing!? Dont hide that from me, you should throw that in my face. Get your product mentioned or an article made up about the product in popular media and do a

as seen on:
type of thing.

You did a really great job i love the call to action but you need to show me credibility, i have no idea who you are and im not just going to pay some random landing page.

Do this give feedback and see what happens.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Hey SSwift,
First off, hats off to you. Nice design and layout; and you have most of the good fundamentals of a landing page. I can tell alot of hard work and hours were put in your site and product (if you made it too?). :great: However, I can tell you read some things straight out of a generic 'how to set up landing page ebook'.

Let's first break down something and be real honest. 90% of landing pages suck because the designers builds what he thinks is what customers will be looking for; and not "what is the customer looking for."

Let me explain: You must put yourself in their shoes and browse your site. For instance, go shopping online right now. Find something you could actually buy right now. Now browse around sites and don't stop until you are about to actually checkout. Now, go back and think about what all you did while you were shopping.

- Why did you choose one store over another?
- Where did you click around that store?
- Was one more credible or seemed like they had more 'focus' and 'dedication' into their business?
(therefore, you assumed they will carry out the same with your order)

A ton of other things.. but let's look at what someone thinks when they first visit a site:

1. Am I at the right place? usually check logo and overall title or big header of the site.

2. What does this site do?
they read more of the text to see what you are offering exactly.

3. Do they do this well? What are some of the features? How do they do it? they check features and specs on what you offer, how well you do it, do you do or sell exactly some of the stuff they are looking for, some examples, and faq

4. How much does this cost?

5. How's their credibility?
this is more than just stamping on a few fake seals. This is your overall site design, overall feel you give towards the visitor, does it look like you're on your shit? do you do this for a living so you focus and dedicate everything you have into it? (most times, if it's someones livelihood on the line; it will show through on the website by the incredible amount of good stuff on the website), how's their customer support? (how easy is it to reach them?), forums and blogs are good signs of "they are on their shit" appeal.

6. Who are they? write an honest about us page, leave the bullshit regular 'blah blah my company was founded in 02 for customers blah blah' out. really write about you and what you do and why and how you did. PEOPLE DO BUSINESS WITH OTHER PEOPLE, NOT BUSINESSES. I would feel much more comfortable knowing I can call "Jimmy" from the about us page and cuss him out for horrible product or service, rather than hoping to speak to some stranger.

7. How do I checkout?
if you pass their tests, there you go! now make the checkout a cinch and easy, and there's a sale.

It's very similar to picking up women; you have to put yourself in their shoes and find out what they are looking for.

So I will go into specifics of improvement about your site:

1. Let's see some branding? Right now, it looks like some generic can from the dollar store. Brands build confidence. Maybe a logo on the top left.

2. Change the big 19.99 into a paragraph about your product. Short, simple, and easy language.

3. Change the BUY NOW BUTTON into SEE PRICING AND BUY; People don't click on that button cause they feel pressured to purchase. No one is going to buy without doing research and feel confident it is a good purchase.

4. Cut out all that bullshit about 500,000 sold, while supplies last, crap out. It's just gimmicky and no one falls for that anymore. It hurts your credibility, sell from your heart and tell them why you think it's so good; not the same ol' infomercial crap.
People will respect and buy from honest businesses; people avoid shady. and lying = shady.

5. Everything below 'get it while supplies last' is GREAT! Nice form, nice wording, nice call to action button on the bottom. Testimonials. Bring the testimonials to right below the fold and no so low on the page.

6. Video is good. Keep it there.

Anyways, hope that helped. It's all about building trust and making things easy and understandable really. If you want to see my landing page for a near-launch web app, check out my progress thread. It's rate of someone hitting the 'see pricing button' is very, very, very high. And someone sending me their email is very good too.

Now I got to get back to my SEO link building.. laters.

James F.:urock2::urock2:

mottdog

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 7, 2010
Redondo Beach, CA
I dig the site, but I agree with JamesF on the big $19.99 though. I would need a bit more info before I hit the order now button.
My thoughts are that you need some testimonials from a roofing company or commercial handyman that people could Google and see that they are indeed real customers.
How are you building your pay per click campaign? Are you watching what your competitor is doing? You maybe getting clicks that are for some other leak repair needs. You need to make sure your campaign has negative keywords like car, tire or wheels. Stuff that leaks, but is unrelated to your product.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I think you all did a great job on the landing page, the message is clear and concise. It looks like you all modeled what works, pages and videos from telebrands.

My question is this, who are you targeting? Does the average homeowner really have that many leaks in their roof?

What about targeting more main stream uses of the product, what else can it be used for in my daily life? You may be getting good sales in comparison to what people are actually using your product for now seeing as it is not solving a huge main stream problem.

On the landing page itself, there are tons of things you could do. As usual people say do this and do that and think they are correct, you will never know until you split test the page. Try moving the video, the pictures, change the ad copy. try an ad that targets a different set of users or a specific set of users.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
test putting the shipping and handling costs on the front page, or give a flat price that includes s&h.

I for one like to know the total price.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
test putting the shipping and handling costs on the front page, or give a flat price that includes s&h.

Good ideas

Also as i thought about it, What about adding something so they are getting more than just a can of the product for $20? Similar to the way infomercials are constructed, undeniable value by ordering online over going to the store and getting it with no wait.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You're doing a good job... better than usual without experience.

As everyone said, split test. Change one thing at a time with consistent traffic from the same source. If that's not working and you have a hunch, a/b a totally different lander and start over with minor tweaks.

Looks like you've got the popular heatmap down with the layout.

There are a couple things I do not like. "Stop Leaks" is so generic, and I think you might have to get more specific on who you're speaking to and about what specific problem.

Why? You've got the right idea making it demonstrable for the masses, but there are some issues with the choices depending on how educated your ideal market is (remember, not everyone on the internet is sitting on the couch watching Springer and eating potato chips).

For example, there is no way in hell spraying a liquid (even epoxy) is going to seal an irrigation pipe under pressure, when the avg line pressure at the main is > 70 psi. <--- Yeah, I'm being nit picky, but that is what I was thinking when I saw that.

The strainer was great though, and I'd also buy the idea of an effective roof sealant.

Overall, I like what you're doing and saw a few of your other youtube videos... I think you have a little nack for this and can make it work.

Some other points would be split testing against what I mentioned above. Either different landers altogether, or a dynamic header based on referrer, such as, "how to seal a leaky roof" would show a "Seal Your Roof Instantly"!

Also you might test that sub headline straight away.. some people have no imagination and would wonder, "why the hell would I want liquid rubber in a aerosol can"? Change to a benefit of their core problem above the fold/video. Again, I know I'm beating a dead horse by saying this part is niche specific, but CTR will go through the rough compared to the generic control if you put in the work.

One other thing that came to mind immediately was re-purposing the exact product. If it's flexible and pliable, you could easily market it as a sound deadening product (ebay is cut throat in this area, but it would give you a place to test it). I used to buy/sell a shitload of that stuff... uses vary from cars to machinery. Audiophiles will be interested for acoustic, machinists are wanting to save their eardrums/keep shop noises to a minimum. Just an idea, I'm sure there's plenty of other mini markets that would do very well. I like your hustle though, keep it up.

It's a "recovery sunday" so that's all I got right now. ;)

P.S.- grab the latest infomercials on tv and make a list. Examine all the landers of the latest products and see what they're doing. Take tidbits and test it.

Also, and this a big ALSO cuz you can get lucky once in a while...Go to each url listed ON TV (typically a subfolder extension than domain.tld) and then the root product domain. Often you will find subtle differences based on the users coming in from the net or tv if they're not just doing it for tracking. These people are spending MILLIONS testing that, so pay attention to their visible data and apply what you can.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think his landing page is perfect. It's designed for exactly what it is suppose to do. I of course would never buy from a page like this because I am betting that S&H is $12.99 or even higher.

But, this is the standard landing page that the big infomercial people use. Shipping and handling is not shown on purpose because the big informercials offer money back guarantees and also they always say,

"Order now and we'll send you a 2nd widget absolutely free, just paying separate shipping and handling."

Check out all the Billy Mays products and you see the same landing page. They make alot of money on shipping and handling.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
thanks everyone for your input... I'm going to do some split testing and see what happens. I was also already considering to shrink the buy now for 19.99 button, It looks a little "cartoony" to me...so now I got some reassurance. I dont know if I should drop the price when we spilt test, or just change the layout, or should I make a couple different test pages, and just keep circulating them to see which gets the best feedback? anyways, I'll keep everyone updated, thanks again for all your input!

Gerto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 19, 2010
When split testing, I'd say focus on one thing at a time. For example big buy now / smaller buy now.

Once you have enough data to see which one works best ( I use splittester.com for this)
you can move on to the next thing.

Good luck :)

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
OMG that site is awesome! thanks and speed +++ Gerto! Do you know anything about creating affiliate programs? I'm not sure how to set one up, or what commission 2 charge, or what software or how to install it within the back end of the site so everything is automated. MJ, I know you know bout that affiliate stuff! where u at! Is it worth setting up in the beginning stages or should I wait until people start asking about how they can become an affiliate?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
dont touch price yet the product is worth 19.99 and aside from that change everything possible first, if no results then test w lower price. Also i know nothing about affiliate programs but i would not do that and waste your time and theirs until you figure out what your problem is. 1,000 people pushing a landing page that does not work is wasting time. Also once you see who is buying, where, etc this info will help affiliate marketers. If they don't make money their out so you do the leg work first and if you figure it out, they will make money, and dollars will come rolling in i would think.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Awesome job! Keep up the good work. I am new to landing pages but what I do know it you just have to test, test and test some more. Great start!

Blue

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 18, 2010

Are you going to put the shipping and handling price anywhere on the site?

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
the shipping & handling costs are added into the final sale, once you enter your information, it becomes visible before the official checkout.... you think I should put them directly infront of the buyer on the first page?

Jason!

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Feb 28, 2009
Looks very good! I would move the 500k sold closer to the middle, then put the Chemical Science Logo in the upper left corner. I would also take "to stop leaks" off the BUY NOW button and make the BUY NOW text larger.

Lastly, you need to start retargeting. Basically, it allows you to remarket specifically to people that came to your site but didnt buy. You could remarket with an ad that says "free shipping if you buy today" etc etc type of thing to bring people back. Conversion rate is usually around 400% higher on retargeting and I have personally seen 1000% on a campaign I spent about 6 months on. :)

PM me if you need some help there or on the affiliates deal, I can definitely help you out. Could potentially get you in front of some heavy hitters for QVC and HSN as well if you are looking at that channel. Would need to have a good sales angle for the pitch though. :)

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
the shipping & handling costs are added into the final sale, once you enter your information, it becomes visible before the official checkout.... you think I should put them directly infront of the buyer on the first page?

That depends, is shipping and handling obscenely priced that people won't even enter their information if they see it?

Is it $6.99 or $20.99?

If it's reasonable you definitely need to put it on the front page. I certainly won't take the time to enter information if I don't know the shipping. I could be wasting my time typing just to find out it's $25 shipping and then I'll feel like I got scammed into entering my contact info.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
jason, thanks for your input!, the things you stated were already on my mind... email me, and we can discuss matters further, I would love to hear some of your other Ideas and experiances! - sswift@me.com

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
bio- the shipping costs are 7.99 for 1-5 cans, 14.99 for 6-12. I'm going to split test the shipping cost landing page to see if I get a better outcome.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
bio- the shipping costs are 7.99 for 1-5 cans, 14.99 for 6-12. I'm going to split test the shipping cost landing page to see if I get a better outcome.

Then definitely put the shipping price in the front page.

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
I just ran into problem. ok, so Its not the worst problem I've encountered... over the weekend we got like 10 orders! thats more then the whole month combined!!! woo-hooo :banana:
now, the problem:
I have multiple sites, that all except different payments. I'm an amazon seller, I have the landing page, and a business website, as well as we keep adding more...
When I opened my email today, i was taken back by all the orders, and I can see this blossoming into an issue when I start getting thousands of orders a day from multiple sites.

what software would you recommend to organize, batch, and invoice the orders.Ideally, i'm looking for a program that I can send ALL the website confirmation orders to, the program will organize orders based on website, type of payment, all other info needed to verify and ship (address,phone,etc) AND THEN be able to batch print the info onto a invoice that I can hard copy into our paper records. Anybody recommend anything in particular?

***Update*** just finished the layout of the split test page, I made it much less "infomercially" and "cartoony", I put the shipping and handling on the front, I shrank the buy now button, I moved over the 500,000 sold and guarantee, and some other small color and layout adjustments. I'll be launching it this week, so i'll keep everyone updated on the results... Have a good Monday!:icon_super:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
What were the rise in sales attributed too?

Also post the screenshot of the new page here, i am sure many would like to see it! Are you designing them yourself or paying for it to be done?

sswift

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
the rise in sale's where from adjusting the ppc campaigns. we sorted through them, stopped the failing ones, beefed up the ones that had a higher clr. I also noticed that we were not getting orders from 3am-4pm but we WERE paying for clicks during that time. I now only run campaigns from our peak buying time 4pm-3am. My only concern for this technique, is that the clicks were people at work, not willing to pull their credit cards out until they get back home a 5 or 6. We'll see...

site design- i'm paying someone to sit next to me while we design the site. I'm taking in everything they do,and I'm definitely going to get a template done once we perfect the first landing page. This way, anytime I want, I can drag and drop pictures,text,& video into the working template, and create new landing pages from the concept of the already tested first LP. As soon as the A/B split test site is ready, i'll grab a screen shot...

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Just keep testing and changing things and testing. Awesome job! Very inspiring for someone who is just now learning about landing pages.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.