The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jumping in With Both Feet - My Progress Thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jimbo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 1, 2013
Not another progress thread...I know! You see these all the time. But I'm determined to turn this into a success, to build my wealth system and scale my company (that doesn't exist yet).

So here is a quick overview:

Industry:
Health/fitness supplements

Current position: Still in the 'planning/idea' stage. Looking to decide on my first 'core' product this week. Determine ingredients, then contact various manufacturers to gather information on MOQ etc.

Barriers to Entry:
Obviously competition, cost and the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration), who like to regulate almost every aspect of the supplement industry over here. However this can obviously be a positive, as it seems to be a lot of difficult to get supplements on the market over here.

On a side note, if anyone has had any run ins or has had to jump over any hurdles with the TGA, any advice would be much appreciated on what to do/avoid.

What I've done so far:

- Written out a brief business plan, outlining target market, how I will reach them, monetization methods, distribution etc etc.

- Contacted various people asking for advice on tackling certain aspects of which I'm unsure of, including members of the forum, potential competitors and an old friend from school who is now a professional natural body builder in Canada (who has offered to put me in contact with a couple of owners of supplement companies over there to ask for advice).

- In depth competitor analysis of a range of different brands. Outlining what they do good/bad and how I can do things better.

- More research on the TGA, acceptable ingredients, formulas etc etc.

- Constructed a list of contract/private label manufacturers here in Australia. Hopefully I'll be able to contact them later this week for specific MOQ information.

What I NEED to do:

- Decide on 'core' product, and find out costs associated with manufacturing this.

- Register business name/company. Open a new business bank account.

- Come up with brand name, logo, graphics, labels etc.

- Build a website (should be simple as I'm a web designer by trade).

- Usual stuff such as register all relevant social media sites, write some blog posts, set up auto-responder, google analytics etc etc.

Obviously the most important thing for me right now is developing my product, then tackling the TGA and finding out more about how hard this will be here in Australia.

I welcome any constructive criticism, just let me have it! Will do me good in the long run.

Wish me luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

brycer9

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jan 21, 2013
I'm not in the supplements industry so can't offer you much criticism, but there's alot of guys on this forum into supplements, and a mastermind group for supplements

For logo, graphics, etc most of this stuff can be done for cheap on fiverr with good results if you pick the right people

Looking forward to your progress. I don't wish you luck, but rather wish you action

Jimbo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 1, 2013
Thanks Brycer.

Any recommendations for good Fiverr gigs for logo's etc? Saves me some time trawling through hundreds of suppliers.

Jimbo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Sep 1, 2013
Again thank you Brycer.

I've just got off the phone with a couple of manufacturers here in Australia. I'm still trying to find one that will suit my needs. Both offered a range of private label products, however I'm not sure if this is the route I want to go down.

They also offered the ability to manufacture custom formulas. One manufacturer stated this had a minimum order quantity of 500kg per flavour per product, which is obviously WAY to large for me right now. Whilst the other stated they were 'too busy' to accommodate to custom formulas right now. Neither offered labelling, which is something they stated I would have to sort out myself. However I got the contact details of a recommended supplier from one nice lady.

I've spent hours trawling through Google trying to find contract manufacturers here in Australia. The majority of my searches result in companies based in America (which there seems to be a sea of people to choose from) however here in Australia it's proving a little more difficult.

I've emailed a potential competitor asking where they get their products manufactured, which I'm guessing the won't tell me. But hey if you don't ask you won't know.

Just requested to join a contract manufacturers Linkedin group, see if I can find any more information via there.

If anyone has any advice, it would be great. Or just a gentle push in the right direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.