The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is what I'm doing perfectly legal?

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Ok, So I work in a lube shop, and service ALL sorts of vehicles, from 2013 BMW and M ercedesto 1980 Chevy trucks and the occasional smart car. I had an idea along time ago to take pictures of where the drain plug and filter are for an online tutorial website, where anyone can find good quality pictures and good advice. I started taking pictures about a week ago, bought a domain and putting my pieces together. I'm very good with graphic edited, and making very good instructions on the best and most efficient way of changing your own oil on your vehicle. I have dozens of pictures and car data for my site. What my question is, could the owner fire me or get his nose into my business? Only a few people know about what I'm doing, and I can't find ANY website that offers this service. I have a unique opportunity because I get every kind of average and newer cars. Thanks everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Since there is no personal information visible in the pictures I don't see anything legally wrong with it (not a lawyer). I know that I used to post pictures for an autobody shop on their facebook and they had a release saying that pictures could be used.

Now if you boss likes it or not that is a different story.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved to legal.

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Florida is a right to work state, so yes, your boss can fire you for this (or almost anything else).

Most likely he couldn't claim a stake in your business, unless you signed some sort of agreement when you started that states anything you create belongs to the company (these contracts are quite common in my line of work, I don't know about your line of work). However, there may be some issues if you are taking photos on company time.

Anyway, I doubt you have much to worry about as long as you are not being super obvious.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and I'm just some Joe Schmo so....

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Ya, I what he doesn't know won't hurt him :D I smudged the band on the filters, there is absolutely NO way of telling where the pics were taking, but if he asked, do I have to tell him I'm making a site?

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Well the pics are taking on work time, but the purpose is for home use, If I were to take pics and upload them to facebook at work, would the same thing apply?

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
could the owner fire me or get his nose into my business?

**not legal advice** haha if you're really worried talk to an attorney!

1. sometimes people get burned for using another person's property in a 'repugnant' way (a way that the owner wouldn't like/consent to) way. usually sue for damages (money to replace some kind of loss) = unlikely to be anything here

2. if they use a specific contract with you for you to perform services to their cars, doing something like this 'outside the contract' could be a minor breach. but, it doesn't seem likely that anyone would be damaged in any way worth complaining/sueing for

3. privacy violations - only if there is some personally identifiable markers/information on it? seems unlikely.

overall? might make someone mad and cancel your service work for their car but not something worth litigating for.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Based on the legal education I do have....(i was going to be a lawyer you know haha)

Nothing you're doing is illegal unless it is harming another person or business entity. From what I can tell you're not taking any money out of your employers pocket, not damaging the vehicle or the process, you are not profiting at another persons' expense, nor are you violating the expectation of privacy of the car owners. The only reason your boss would possibly get mad is if he believes this is slowing your work down. Legally though he can only fire you, that's it.

idea: get the maker of the filters/oil that you use to pay for advertising to use their logos on your site, then make sure their logos are present in your pictures and promote them like a mofo!

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
Legality aside, great idea. I have owned quite a few vehicles and I am no mechanic but I like to do the little things like change my oil, brakes, etc. This would be a great resource that I would love to use. I don't know if I would pay for it but I imagine that you could monetize via, affiliate, advertising, or ecommerce once you build a large following. I also think a strong youtube channel might be a good way to increase traffic but I am far from an internet entrepreneur so your mileage may vary. Either way good job.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Ok guys, the site is in the works, you can check it out

How to change oil

Its still in the building process, I made a few other things you can get out other then changing oil. I eventually want to add how to change fuel filters, transmission flushes and other stuff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.