The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a red flag?

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Ive had my fair share of red flags pop up through out my start-up days in which I should have looked into more, but Im always amazed at how I still seem to miss obvious ones that I should have addressed.

Let me know if this sounds like a red flag. So the guy I have been working with also has a consulting firm. Well the consulting firm just landed a big contract and he is now taking a lot of time doing that, which he has been upfront with me about. Well yesterday I put together a presentation for the project we are working on, and he went back and changed it to all about his consulting firm, which he has now broadened into a full IT company. The project we are working on has basically just become a feature that he added to his IT company, but he is using things that myself and others who started this project created for his "other" company. I asked him why this was and he said it would help sell the product we are creating by bundling with his company, but he just seems to be using our resources to expand his other company.

How would you handle this situation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is this a red flag?

Yes.

How would you handle this situation?

Dump him. His priorities is his consulting business-- not your project. If you can't, you need to get a written understanding between him, you, and his consulting gig, and get it done pronto.

I'm curious as to what understanding you had prior to engaging this guy in a partnership. If my partner isn't 100% vested, I don't want him. Or is this something other than a partnership?

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
This sounds like an operational problem. I am assuming that you sent this to the consultant for input, and he presumed to make changes without your consent.

In our organization, the PM of a project gets to decide the direction unless the CEO intervenes. How is the chain of command/operations handled in your organization?

If it were me, I would thank him for his input, present the project in the way that I thought was best for my company, and explain that to him in cordial terms. I would also create a plan for how projects are managed in the future to avoid this sort of confusion. I don't intend to sound holier than now. Even in an organization where everyone is working towards the same goals, we all have different visions. Sometimes this means I have to shut my mouth and follow the direction of others. Sometimes it means that they have to suck it up and follow my vision. Having a clear operational plan makes it clear who gets to lead and who has to follow.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I have no equity or contract, right now we are in the "dating" stage of the start-up and were beginning the process of putting together an LLC. I talked with him today and bluntly said, either you bring me on as a member of your existing LLC (his IT company) or Im walking. It was a good conversation to have and we are going to go over it with everyone tomorrow. Good lesson you guys showed me was just to be honest and upfront.

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Do you really want to be brought on as a member of HIS company? And take on potential liability with someone who would repurpose what you built? I'd slow down and think it through.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Get a non-compete and non-disclosure signed by him and break ties. Just my two cents.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
yes. Red flag.

I'm dumping my partner tomorrow after spending two years trying work with him. YOU SHOULD take the first step and do something to protect yourself tomorrow. Whether that's setting up a contract or flat out removing him from the company.

Don't sit on your a$$ after posting on this forum about this potential red flag. Do something.

Good luck

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Was it amicable? Or did he piss a fit?

The guy has a real ego so he thinks he can do it on his own. He gave this act like hes going to do big things, so I just let me talk and hung up. Was a learning lesson and I took a lot away from it. The only bummer is feeling like you are back at square one, but Im just glad this happened now and not 6 months down the road.

QuickLanceFirms

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 28, 2013
Congratulations on cutting ties with him.

Beware and prepared against other predators from the past, the present, and the future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.