The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there an e-commerce problem that Amazon and eBay don't solve?

marc100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 21, 2011
Santa Clara, CA/ Silicon Valley
Im trying to identify a "marketplace" need that eBay doesnt cover.
I've spent time putting together a marketplace and Im met with constant friction on it.

100% of the time I'm asked this question: "How are you different from eBay?
50% of the time I'm asked this question: "Why does someone need to buy from you when they can just buy from Amazon?"

I'm looking to change my focus and cover more of a business need, but I can't discover one that eBay doesnt already cover.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Giving the sellers control of their customer base instead of Amazon or Ebay. When I sell one of my eBooks on amazon - I have no clue who bought it, and can't turn them into repeat customers. If they allow the customer to share their information with me for marketing purposes, i would like that.

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
Im trying to identify a "marketplace" need that eBay doesnt cover.
I've spent time putting together a marketplace and Im met with constant friction on it.

100% of the time I'm asked this question: "How are you different from eBay?
50% of the time I'm asked this question: "Why does someone need to buy from you when they can just buy from Amazon?"

I'm looking to change my focus and cover more of a business need, but I can't discover one that eBay doesnt already cover.

Marc100. Walmart sells pretty much everything you need from a B&M. That doesn't stop Whole Foods, Cost Co, Target, Home Depot, Best Buy, ethnic groceries, and Walgreens from competing with Walmart directly. A lot of these companies are clobbering Walmart.

Let me ask you a question, what if you did find a need that eBay didn't cover? If you had any amount of success at all what would stop eBay from taking your business then? You need to establish a competitive advantage that lets you compete with eBay in some way. Better customer service, better UI, exclusive merchandise, etc.

This question has been answered here before. Check out Biophases e-commerce thread and he has answered your question there.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I use both all the time and I cant see why I would use an independant website unless they had a product I could'nt find or had it cheaper

Edgars

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 8, 2013
Latvia, Cesvaine
Giving the sellers control of their customer base instead of Amazon or Ebay.

Sivers did the same with CD Baby - people loved it.

marc100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 21, 2011
I use both all the time and I cant see why I would use an independant website unless they had a product I could'nt find or had it cheaper

Thats the reaction I've been getting from other people and showing it to investors.
I thought I was solving a problem by charging a smaller fee than eBay, but when I talk to sellers they aren't that interested. Even though they complain, they still sell with eBay.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
You need to be able to provide sellers with targeted buyers. If I want to sell something quick, I go on eBay because I have access to the whole world. I'll pay the 13% fee for a quick sale. Fees don't matter to me, turning over inventory does.

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Back in 2000 or so when ebay first raised fees, a lot of sellers left and went on a new auction website. The problem was they had little to no traffic and most went back to ebay. The way to battle ebay is to think niche. It will be extremely hard to pry away Platinum Power Sellers from ebay as the fees they pay are no where near what a regular person pays. If you can create a marketplace for a specific niche and generate a lot of traffic, then they might just consider selling on your website.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Amazon needs a seller central app...

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Selling prohibited items (ones that Amazon refuses to sell for one reason or another) on your own ecommerce store seems to be lucrative. I've met with someone who does over $10mil/year selling tobacco products online.

marc100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Jul 21, 2011
If you can create a marketplace for a specific niche and generate a lot of traffic, then they might just consider selling on your website.
I've been advised to focus on comic books, Im hesitant because its a small market and hard as hell to gain traction. I've never seen a comic book on the cover of ebay.

Amazon needs a seller central app...

I don't understand what that means. Giving sellers access direct access to buyers? Not sure what that means.

Selling prohibited items (ones that Amazon refuses to sell for one reason or another) on your own ecommerce store seems to be lucrative. I've met with someone who does over $10mil/year selling tobacco products online.
Very interesting. I really like that. I will look into licensing necessary to do this. Hell I'll let people sell breast milk and used underwear if someone wants to buy it, I dont care.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Amazon needs an app where you can control your seller account.

G

Guest14692

Restricted Products
As a seller or advertiser on the Amazon platform, it is your responsibility to comply with all laws and regulations and with Amazon policies.

We provide this material for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. We encourage you to consult with your legal counsel if you have questions about the laws and regulations concerning your products.

You should carefully review the "Examples of Permitted and Prohibited Listings" sections in each category shown on the right before listing a product. Also, certain categories require you to obtain pre-approval from Amazon before listing in those categories. If you are listing products that are prohibited in certain U.S. jurisdictions, you must inform customers in the listing conditions of such shipping restrictions; such products are not eligible for FBA. In addition, there are restrictions on the import and export of many products. If you wish to list items for international purchase, you are responsible for conducting proper research to ensure that the items listed comply with all laws and regulations.

Consequences for Violations
Violations of Amazon's policy on listing prohibited items may result in actions, such as:

Cancellation of listing
Limits on listing privileges
Suspension of listing privileges
Removal of your selling privileges
Amazon reserves the right to make judgments in its sole discretion about whether or not a listing is appropriate.

Additional Related Policies
Fulfillment by Amazon: FBA Manual
Reporting
Amazon encourages sellers to report listings that violate Amazon's policies or applicable law by using our Contact Us form. Select "Report a violation of our rules" and include all relevant information, so we can conduct an investigation.

Examples of Permitted and Prohibited Listings
The examples provided in these Help pages are not all-inclusive and are provided solely as an informational guide. Even where a product is listed as an "Example of Permitted Listings," all products and listings must also comply with applicable laws. In addition, any links provided are for informational purposes only, and Amazon does not warrant the accuracy of any information provided in these links.