The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Insane pricing or no?

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If the content is good enough, do you think it crazy to charge $0.99 for an erotic short story? I'm talking anywhere from 2000-5000 words. I was mulling over the fact that people pay on average $0.99 for a 3-minute song, $1.29 if its new, on Itunes.

What do you guys think? This is helping me in my decision to publish each story separately (since most of them have nothing to do with each other) or as a compilation.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
Well, I wouldn't charge more for something under 5k words. Whether it will find buyers is another thing. I've seen people argue either way, probably marketing to the right audience would make a difference. It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually has more of such work to see what works.

In theory you are right, people pay more for a cup of coffee, on the other hand the savy readers tend to notice the wordcount vs price and compare it to longer titles available for the same price. Personally I would publish individual ones (especially closer to the 5k mark) + a collection. Helps make the collection look like a good deal then. Also you're might want to make one/some of the shorts into a perma-free title that would help sell the collection.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
What do you guys think? This is helping me in my decision to publish each story separately (since most of them have nothing to do with each other) or as a compilation.

Do both, if you are selling on kindle you wont make much from the .99 ones but if you publish 5 for .99 and bundle them all together at 2.99 it could work out well for you. This gives you more listing opportunities for readers to find your work.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
I was mulling over the fact that people pay on average $0.99 for a 3-minute song, $1.29 if its new, on Itunes.

You could say the same thing about a price point of 2.99 and a cup of Starbucks. Unfortunately, there's no way to make that argument to the readers without creating resentment. And the readers do notice. I've tried different price-points for different lengths, and much to my dismay, haven't been able to sell anything below 30k words at 2.99, one or two sales (literally) notwithstanding. The only way I can see that we as indies can run against that stream is to band together and price-fix. Which, of course, would be illegal even if it were possible. I've even heard from someone who does well in the industry that erotic shorts don't sell anymore. I've also heard to treat that statement as hogwash. In the end, the only thing that works is testing. But the advice from both of the previous responders is solid, in my opinion. Which is just that.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Erotica, no. Go for it.

Others, no clue.

Can't really go below .99 so you either do it, or you up it to say 12-15k and try 2.99 (again, erotica, heavy romance)

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I should add that by selling your 5 books at .99 if you choose to use KDP select that gives you 25 days out of 90 that you can offer your book for free. This gives you the opportunity to reach far more potential fans. Create the bundle in addition and it reaches 30/90 days.

(In case someone doesnt understand how kindle works, you can promote your book by offering it for free 5 days out of a 90 day span, so thats how I got to the numbers above. 5 books times 5 days = 25 days free promotion)

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Good points by others here already.
I think 5k would be the minimum to be honest. (but as others have said, we all have different experiences)

Also, at .99 you only make 20%. x6 5k stories = 30k, if someone bought all of them, you make a dollar.
x1 30k story at 2.99 makes you two dollars.
That was my thinking. HOWEVER, starting with short stories, could be a good way to improve one's writing without getting overburdened with longer lengths. Also 6 books = more shelf space vs the one maybe.

Also nothing to stop you taking those 6 stories and bundling them at 2.99. Cheaper for any reader who buys one and wants to read the rest + you make more commision too

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Good points by others here already.
I think 5k would be the minimum to be honest. (but as others have said, we all have different experiences)

Also, at .99 you only make 20%. x6 5k stories = 30k, if someone bought all of them, you make a dollar.
x1 30k story at 2.99 makes you two dollars.
That was my thinking. HOWEVER, starting with short stories, could be a good way to improve one's writing without getting overburdened with longer lengths. Also 6 books = more shelf space vs the one maybe.

Also nothing to stop you taking those 6 stories and bundling them at 2.99. Cheaper for any reader who buys one and wants to read the rest + you make more commision too

Not sure I'm following the math, as I thought the royalty was 35% at Amazon, or maybe we're talking another venue? But that is only a side note. I'm replying to say that I, along with several others who post here regularly, have been guilty of thinking in terms of a single sale. No one's going to make a living that way. So let's say princephoenix finds his audience, they love his books and everyone buys most of them. On Amazon, he makes .35 per sale, or a couple of bucks on six stories. But, he's found his audience; 10,000 people buy those stories and now he's replaced a modest yearly income. And they don't stop selling, a few people buy his backlist as he writes six new stories. His audience grows. He's writing steadily, his stories are growing larger, along with his backlist. Boom! Full-time writer in 2-3 years, or seven months if he's determined. Impossible? Ask HfR.

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
He's writing steadily, his stories are growing larger, along with his backlist. Boom! Full-time writer in 2-3 years, or seven months if he's determined. Impossible? Ask HfR.

Spot on. Add in a little speed work and the rest should, in theory, be history.

princephoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Nov 14, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure I'm following the math, as I thought the royalty was 35% at Amazon, or maybe we're talking another venue? But that is only a side note. I'm replying to say that I, along with several others who post here regularly, have been guilty of thinking in terms of a single sale. No one's going to make a living that way. So let's say princephoenix finds his audience, they love his books and everyone buys most of them. On Amazon, he makes .35 per sale, or a couple of bucks on six stories. But, he's found his audience; 10,000 people buy those stories and now he's replaced a modest yearly income. And they don't stop selling, a few people buy his backlist as he writes six new stories. His audience grows. He's writing steadily, his stories are growing larger, along with his backlist. Boom! Full-time writer in 2-3 years, or seven months if he's determined. Impossible? Ask HfR.

Well wow, that's all the motivation I needed for this week! Thanks!!! :D

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
as I thought the royalty was 35% at Amazon, or maybe we're talking another venue? But that is only a side note. I'm replying to say that I, along with several others who post here regularly, have been guilty of thinking in terms of a single sale. No one's going to make a living that way. So let's say princephoenix finds his audience, they love his books and everyone buys most of them. On Amazon, he makes .35 per sale, or a couple of bucks on six stories.
Ha...my head was all over the place.
Yes, 35% for amazon, which actually makes selling 6 five thousand word stories at .99 about the same as selling one 30k story in terms of commission. Which makes it a much more compelling proposition.

10,000 people buy those stories
Well said. The beauty in your example, you *only* need to have 10 thousand people interested to have found a nice you can make a living from.
writing steadily, his stories are growing larger, along with his backlist
It may take time to find that 10 thousand, but once you've got them, POW!

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
you *only* need to have 10 thousand people interested to have found a nice you can make a living from
It sounds like a lot, doesn't it? But a well-known author I've been in touch with has sold 50,000 copies of her latest book. And, as you say, once you find them, they're yours as long as you give them what they want.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.