The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Impulse entrepreneurship, good or bad?

OsmanS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Aug 8, 2012
Washington,D.C
So a few days ago I was up at around 2 am doing what I normally do, just browsing this forum and watching a movie while on Facebook and Twitter, when I thought I noticed a business opportunity.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/iphone%20charger%20broke

There's a bunch of tweets about iphone/ipod/ipod chargers breaking on Twitter. Now I already know that selling phone chargers is one of the most over saturated markets on Ebay, but I assumed that since most of the people tweeting about their broken chargers were ages 14-20, they didn't use Ebay (Most of my friends have never purchased anything on eBay) and would be purchasing an official power adapter for 30 dollars from apples site.

In my 2 am drowsiness and overdosing on information from this forum, I thought I had a really good idea on my hands. I would start a site where I would dropship just one product, a generic power adapter for Apple products (which are unbelievably cheap on Ebay) for 10 or so dollars. I thought that if I found a dropshipper with a per product cost of around 3 dollars, I could get 7 dollar margins for each charger I sell.

So I went ahead and bought a domain ( Index of /) and after a 2 hours installed Associate O Matic on it. Then after going through a lot of trouble trying to make it work to my needs, I decided to just buy an eCommerce hosting solution.

Before I knew it, I was ready to spend about 320 dollars on this untested site that I hadn't done any real research on. Thankfully I realized what I was doing before it was too late and went to bed.

The moral of this long story? Beware of impulse entrepreneurship (most of the time) and don't rush into a business with guns blazing on a whim.

Now I might just continue this business and see if it is a viable option.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OsmanS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Aug 8, 2012
Washington,D.C
I just uninstalled associate o matic btw, its just too ugly and uncustomizable for my needs, I'll probably try 3dcar or bigcommerce

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
I'd buy from you, if the chargers were original. Had this one cheap ebay charger as a backup and it was shit. The build quality was noticeably worse and it broke after 2 weeks of light use. Point is- maybe there's a market for that.
When I get excited about a new project myself, I tend to get as much done as possible, while the fire is still there. Granted, there has to be some kind of basis for the excitement.
I say use it to your advantage.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.