The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Im quitting this smoking habit.

cmac

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 12, 2012
The prices of these damn things are still going up?
Smokers "say" they don't want to do it anymore, but still do?

maybe I should start selling these damn things?

Trust me, I'm joking (in my own screwed up way)
I think this is the worst addiction out there.

"It's treason then" Darth Sidious

I hope all of you remove those things from your life,
and find something healthy to replace it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I think this is the worst addiction out there.

Really depends on the criteria you're using to judge "worst" by.

Alcohol addiction can lead to brain damage or death if you try quitting cold-turkey. I'd say that trumps "irritability" and "nicotine cravings" by a solid margin.

Guest682

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 29, 2012
I recently quit I think its been about 2 months now, I tried the e-cigs then I tried the patch, however what really helped was just identifying what in my life truly stresses me out, I recently had to close off a few relationships but I now feel more at peace. Smoking for me was such a crutch whenever my anxiety raised from stressful situations or people, but i simply identified and eliminated them from my life and things are simply better.

Its funny how when you know you want to quit and that you smoke you feel guilty. The whole thing is a vicious circle. I think its also a display of personal weakness, if you read body language or study social situations you notice when something is bothering someone they immediately want to smoke. Displaying that I was mentally weak was also a factor for me to quit smoking.

Every has their own reasons for being addicted to cigarettes and finding it hard to quit but identify that what is causing your cravings, that feeling you get before you want to smoke, ask yourself "Why am I feeling this way?", if its something you can change then do it. I wish anyone the best of luck who is trying to quit, when you do quit I promise you will instantly feel better! You will breath easier, your sense of smell will return, food will taste better and you will be more secure emotionally.

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
You couldn’t be more right surfceo!
Yesterday I talked about that with my girlfriend (Who smokes to and didn`t want to quit :( )

She ask`s me wye I want to quit now… because she wants to quit “sometime in the future” ..

I explained to her, that there was a time where I used smoking to compensate my mental weakness, to just mask my real me!

If you read my introduction in the Introductions & Networking section of this forum you eventually get an idea of what I mean. It was possible for me to eliminate the things witch get me into smoking. Now it’s time to quit smoking. And so I will :).

Joschi (day 2 without a cigarette)

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Our company has a yearly strategic planning meeting attended by top management, managing directors of some sister companies, and board members of our owner. Our company president, one of the board members, and I were discussing over breakfast how difficult it is to quit smoking. My president said "Quitting smoking is almost as hard as quitting heroin", to which I replied "Nah, that's easy - I kicked heroin on my third try!". He nearly blew out his mouthful of scrambled eggs.

Sometimes tact isn't my strong suit.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
Three things I will never give up in life

1. Smoking
2. Drinking
3. Good morning blow jobs

kudos to you guys though, I don't have a skin as thick

Hans im Glueck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 15, 2013
Amsterdam
I gave it up 4 years ago. The reason why it seems hard to quit is not because it's a terrible addiction like crack or whatever.

It's because:

1. Cigarettes are available easily (they get more expensive every year but you won't suck a dealer's dick to get one)
2. It's relatively accepted socially (not everywhere, but smoking is a great way to socialize with other smokers)
3. It doesn't have a lot of immediate negative effects on your wellbeing (no hangover or getting sick)
4. You keep hearing about how hard it is to quit.

I don't know anyone who managed to give it up by using stuff like e-cigarettes or nicotine patches. That stuff only reinforces the belief that it's hard and serves as an excuse ("I really tried to..."). However, it's just a habit, the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine are very weak and disappear fast.
Unfortunately habits are often triggered unconsciously and many people who 'decided' to quit, find themselves smoking again after a while.

If you want to quit it is most important to become VERY clear on WHY you want to quit (Allen Carr's book helped a lot with that). Leave absolutely no doubt. If you don't do that, you will rationalize that it's ok to start again after a while.

After doing that, set a date when you quit and make a public commitment to as many people as possible. Tell your friends, family and put it on your FB. If you don't dare to do that, you probably haven't really decided to quit yet.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I quit smoking a couple months ago. Back to working out again hardcore. I've never felt better in my entire life. AND my head is MUCH clearer, It's almost as though my mind improved some how. My thoughts and work ethic have changed dramatically.

Oh and PS - I quit with the help of Nicoderm patches.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I smoked for years and years. I quit jan 21 1997. then I started smoking on dec 6th 2006. just shy of 10 yrs quit. I smoked untill I quit again 1/21/09 been smoke free ever since. I wont have to quit a 3rd time :p

I tried quitting a few times before and I was a miserable bitch to put it mildly... first time I quit it was with zyban (wellbutrin) and then second time was with chantix.

I cannot say enough about these medicines. I would still be smoking 2+ packs a day of marlboro reds without it :D

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I cannot say enough about these medicines. I would still be smoking 2+ packs a day of marlboro reds without it

Doesn't mean its healthier longterm..

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
that what is healthier long term? i took the first med for 6 wks and the second one for 4. I am certian that not smoking is healthier... I dont take them still LOL

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.