The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you search google for FDJustin...

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
You're prettymuch guarunteed to get me. Except I found an exclusion! http://jetew.com/images/fdjustin.jpg I must be getting popular if people are swiping my name. Soon, you'll see DaRkFDJusTin18 popping up on places like youtube, and people will be like 'Ugh, look, it's another FDJtard!"

That jesting aside, I was actually doing a search to see if the twitter name FDJustin was being used by someone actively, or if I signed up for it in the past and used a fake email because I forgot about it. I didn't find anything on it, but of the 2k+ results, I did see my name show up a lot in a very interesting way.

You see, I used to use BOINC for datafolding. So there are a lot more random data pages out there I wasn't expecting that probably don't link back to my website, but they do mention my screen name, the points I got, and the processor and operating system I was using. (I haven't done folding in a while since I switched to a laptop... It gets too hot.)

... For hanging out to read the weird post, I'll share something potentially valuable. I didn't just do this at random, there was a business sense behind it.
Not only did I get to donate cycles to neat causes (from predicting weather in the far future, to doing protein research for medicine, to mapping out every single move that can possibly be made in chess ever.) but I was planning to use that fact for public relations, as a means to get my community involved in something a little different (you can set up teams) and for backlinks. The links may not be very valuable, but each of the sites tends to have a place to put a link to your site, a bio for your team, and stuff like that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Good post, you should test to verify that you can get backlinks using this method, and if so, then write this up and sell it as WSO - it is a perfect WSO idea.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Overall I don't think it's very valuable. You would likely have to 'ping' the project sites that you attach your team name/link to, and they won't have any PR.

The main boinc page still has my link on it, but it's nofollow. I don't know if it always was, but I know it currently is.

I had no idea what I was doing when I first started experimenting with that, but the charity/team building aspect of it I'm still convinced can be valuable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.