The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to turn "likes" into sales??

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I did a bit of research into jewellery styles that are popular, especially on the run up to Christmas.
I found a supplier that supplied me with samples of each style that I outlined as being favourites among the group I had surveyed.
I created a Facebook business page.
I have filled the page with great looking photos.
I have had a great initial response in regards to people "liking" the page (110 people in 1 day) and liking the jewellery.
Lots of comments "this is gorgeous", "wow, that's stunning" etc etc
I don't seem to be turning the likes into sales! I have written on some items "last one, selling out quickly" to add some urgency but no bites. (Remember the guy who founded subway? I tried the "this is going great" approach!)
How do I convert into sales?
The prices are competitive comparatively, I looked at pricing in detail.
Any ideas?
Thanks guys :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I remember someone saying something along the lines of "everyone may think your idea is a great idea, until it's time to pay for it."

You've learned something today. There may be a market, there may not be a market. To be honest, the only reason I'd use a Facebook business page is to re-direct someone to my product page.

A call to action might help. "See more of our products at xyx.abc" (<--Your site btw, to sell physical products you need a e-commerce site imo)

Make one sale. Listen to any complaints/compliments you get and then go from there. Repeat sale one, except better.

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
Are you using calls to action like the above poster said? You need to have very clearly "Limited Quantities, buy this piece now at [URL here]"

If people have to hunt down the URL or where to buy the product, to put it simply, they won't.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I remember someone saying something along the lines of "everyone may think your idea is a great idea, until it's time to pay for it."

You've learned something today. There may be a market, there may not be a market. To be honest, the only reason I'd use a Facebook business page is to re-direct someone to my product page.

A call to action might help. "See more of our products at xyx.abc" (<--Your site btw, to sell physical products you need a e-commerce site imo)

Make one sale. Listen to any complaints/compliments you get and then go from there. Repeat sale one, except better.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
My web page is a work in progress and will be linked to my Facebook page.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Are you using calls to action like the above poster said? You need to have very clearly "Limited Quantities, buy this piece now at [URL here]"

If people have to hunt down the URL or where to buy the product, to put it simply, they won't.

No, I literally have a fb business page with the pics on and above certain pieces it says "last in stock, reduced from £15.99 to £12.99 - when its gone its gone" type of thing.
I'm getting lots of compliments but need sales! So customers just inbox me and PayPal the money over to me. I'm using PayPal for the moment but am hoping to offer other payment methods once the sales are coming in.
I think I need to sort out my website as a matter of urgency!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Hmm, this might be lame, but...

Are you being "nice" to get the likes? Or are the likes coming from people who have bought and referred friends?
At first, you can get people "liking" you, just as a polite way to reject buying, and this is especially true of art.
When I witnessed sales in art, it was when a person found that it personally connected to them, not so much "its really good and I've got to get it before it goes!". I think it is kind of implied with art, that it goes when someone likes the piece enough, so you might be able to tweak what you are saying about the art into the audience each piece targets, help people understand it, make them want it in their home or business or whatever. Make it seem "kitchy" (I don't know how to spell that word, never used it before) popular, easy to consume, want, display.

"Have you ever woke up in the morning, to such a beautiful sunrise, and felt inspired the rest of the day" "are you a homely person who loves to dance"
Like I said, it might be lame, and I know there will be people with much more experience on this, but yeah.
Sometimes its better to connect with the audience that BUY, rather than get caught up in validation, because buyers can get afraid of "insulting" you by "being your buyer" (don't seem desperately willing to give away to anyone, but let your customer base know it is for them).

Make people want to be one of the buyers. Make people not give you pity likes by showing some robustness, confidence and vibrancy. Show that its ok to just look, because you have an ABUNDANCE with those who love what you sell.

As a side note you can provide specific pieces for non buyers to look at, so that they feel "specifically" catered to and "given free attention".
I think that some of the reason why people like, is they "regret" that they don't have enough reason to buy right now, and are kind of wanting you to validate them because they do like what you do.

Try not to hide your frustration between smiles, appreciate your entire audience, give some stuff to the curious, and be very specificly attentive to your customers.

Remember, each piece only needs to connect with ONE person. Define that person, find that person, and they will show up, or you will know them when you see them and make sure they are aware of the piece you have for them.

Have you ever gone to the shopping centre dressed up really gross, and you start thinking "omg, I am kind of embarassed to buy stuff?". Maybe not, but maybe when you were trying on a dress or something, and you thought it wasn't your "normal" thing.

Now, have you ever had a dress you connected with so strongly that you just said "yes, thats mine already", and you were just so proud to go get it and have it already?

Sometimes, people do want to buy, but they are just shy about it, and the person selling seems "busy" and "judgemental". Or on the other side, they are so attentive it makes you uncomfortable.
When I go into a book store, I go right to shelves that are away from people, so I can look in peace.

A lot of that stuff is happening in and around your artwork, and you want to make people not feel "fake" as they buy. You want them to know how to communicate their connection to the piece with you, without them feeling embarassed about admitting it.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Hey Cosmic!
Do you have a mixergy premium membership?

This is a Mixergy interview done with somebody that used Facebook contests to make a TON of money selling jewelry.
How Facebook Contests Helped Build A $30,000/Month Business
If you don't have a premium account, and are ok with READING, there's a transcript available you can just read to extract the same information.

Really helps you understand how social media can be monetized in powerful ways.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Hmm, this might be lame, but...

Are you being "nice" to get the likes? Or are the likes coming from people who have bought and referred friends?
At first, you can get people "liking" you, just as a polite way to reject buying, and this is especially true of art.
When I witnessed sales in art, it was when a person found that it personally connected to them, not so much "its really good and I've got to get it before it goes!". I think it is kind of implied with art, that it goes when someone likes the piece enough, so you might be able to tweak what you are saying about the art into the audience each piece targets, help people understand it, make them want it in their home or business or whatever. Make it seem "kitchy" (I don't know how to spell that word, never used it before) popular, easy to consume, want, display.

"Have you ever woke up in the morning, to such a beautiful sunrise, and felt inspired the rest of the day" "are you a homely person who loves to dance"
Like I said, it might be lame, and I know there will be people with much more experience on this, but yeah.
Sometimes its better to connect with the audience that BUY, rather than get caught up in validation, because buyers can get afraid of "insulting" you by "being your buyer" (don't seem desperately willing to give away to anyone, but let your customer base know it is for them).

Make people want to be one of the buyers. Make people not give you pity likes by showing some robustness, confidence and vibrancy. Show that its ok to just look, because you have an ABUNDANCE with those who love what you sell.

As a side note you can provide specific pieces for non buyers to look at, so that they feel "specifically" catered to and "given free attention".
I think that some of the reason why people like, is they "regret" that they don't have enough reason to buy right now, and are kind of wanting you to validate them because they do like what you do.

Try not to hide your frustration between smiles, appreciate your entire audience, give some stuff to the curious, and be very specificly attentive to your customers.

Remember, each piece only needs to connect with ONE person. Define that person, find that person, and they will show up, or you will know them when you see them and make sure they are aware of the piece you have for them.

Have you ever gone to the shopping centre dressed up really gross, and you start thinking "omg, I am kind of embarassed to buy stuff?". Maybe not, but maybe when you were trying on a dress or something, and you thought it wasn't your "normal" thing.

Now, have you ever had a dress you connected with so strongly that you just said "yes, thats mine already", and you were just so proud to go get it and have it already?

Sometimes, people do want to buy, but they are just shy about it, and the person selling seems "busy" and "judgemental". Or on the other side, they are so attentive it makes you uncomfortable.
When I go into a book store, I go right to shelves that are away from people, so I can look in peace.

A lot of that stuff is happening in and around your artwork, and you want to make people not feel "fake" as they buy. You want them to know how to communicate their connection to the piece with you, without them feeling embarassed about admitting it.

Thank you, that does make a lot of sense. It doesn't sound lame!
I suppose I am being "nice" but mostly, I'm trying to be factual and to the point in a professional manner.
I have tried to be as vibrant and edgy in the choices I have made for the pieces so I have to match that with my sales pitch.
I actually made my first sale this morning!!!! The first of many I hope.
I will take everything you have said on board and will work hard on this.
Thank you for your valuable insight :)

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Hey Cosmic!
Do you have a mixergy premium membership?

This is a Mixergy interview done with somebody that used Facebook contests to make a TON of money selling jewelry.
How Facebook Contests Helped Build A $30,000/Month Business
If you don't have a premium account, and are ok with READING, there's a transcript available you can just read to extract the same information.

Really helps you understand how social media can be monetized in powerful ways.

Wow, thanks man. I don't have an account but I am more than happy reading everything under the sun! That is really useful, thank you :)

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
"Step two of your Facebook sales funnel starts with sharing content that invites fans not to comment, share or like -- all actions inside Facebook -- but rather to visit a link outside of Facebook."
"This can be a page on your website or a Facebook app and have people opt into your list. Facebook custom apps are useful lead generation tools because you can collect leads without taking your fans outside Facebook."

These two lines are gold. Make sure you hint at special "secret" offers to sign up to your list. Everyone likes secrets. And coupons.

mags

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Oct 18, 2011
First of all, congratulations for being able to build a community on Facebook. Mind you, a lot of people struggle with that.

That means, you are off to a great start. And, I agree with Mike's point. The next logical step is to lead them to a link outside Facebook (ideally your website) where you handle the flow of the conversion funnel really well.

I could go on and talk a lot about the conversion funnel. But, here is a simple image that will describe what it means:

conversion-funnel-social.gif

Once you understand your conversion funnel well, you are on your way to converting those "likes" into sales.

Bonus tip:
Because you mentioned that you get hundreds of likes a day (that's a lot), make sure you are taking care of every audience/person in the funnel. Just a heads up that the marketing could get overwhelming. So, here are useful marketing automation tools you can look at (10 of them that you can choose from):
http://biz30.timedoctor.com/comparison-of-the-best-marketing-automation-software/

Hope that helps you out. Best of luck with your business!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe you can develop a mood of mutual engagement? I find that people stand around numb most of the time, unless you create an atmosphere.

I've found it is somewhat helpful to talk about what they like about the product, what draws them to it, details that they can identify with. Not so much because of them buying but because it engages me with them, and stops me being on the outside.
I hate it when I try to sell something only to realise that no one is listening, so I find out what they are listening to by asking those questions.

If you do that with a small group at first, you might get some small ideas bubbling up on how to recognise customers better and connect with them quicker and with more grace.

From my limited experience selling, it has always felt like fastening a screw tighter and tighter as you show you care about what they are looking for. Once they are convinced you are ok by them, they open up and you are allowed to ask the buying and selling stuff in an honest way.

Also, it is OK to sell, it is a human need that you should not feel ashamed of. But like any "need" you want to present it in a natural way. Instead of stigmatising yourself as "the only one selling here, how embarassing", try to make yourself feel more like "they are in my home looking at my shiny stuff, and yes they can have it, but of course I have time commitments and I can't just give away my hard work to anyone... If you are willing to pay between x and y, I think that is fair. Did I put your mind at ease"

People have nagging questions about buying and the thing is, you need to unburden them of that at some point, and its natural that you have standards and talking price is only polite after a certain context is created.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
First of all, congratulations for being able to build a community on Facebook. Mind you, a lot of people struggle with that.

That means, you are off to a great start. And, I agree with Mike's point. The next logical step is to lead them to a link outside Facebook (ideally your website) where you handle the flow of the conversion funnel really well.

I could go on and talk a lot about the conversion funnel. But, here is a simple image that will describe what it means:

View attachment 5804

Once you understand your conversion funnel well, you are on your way to converting those "likes" into sales.

Bonus tip:
Because you mentioned that you get hundreds of likes a day (that's a lot), make sure you are taking care of every audience/person in the funnel. Just a heads up that the marketing could get overwhelming. So, here are useful marketing automation tools you can look at (10 of them that you can choose from):
http://biz30.timedoctor.com/comparison-of-the-best-marketing-automation-software/

Hope that helps you out. Best of luck with your business!

Thanks Mags. I'm very pleased with the amount of likes I have received, they are growing by the day and I have done well from that aspect.
Thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated :)

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Maybe you can develop a mood of mutual engagement? I find that people stand around numb most of the time, unless you create an atmosphere.

I've found it is somewhat helpful to talk about what they like about the product, what draws them to it, details that they can identify with. Not so much because of them buying but because it engages me with them, and stops me being on the outside.
I hate it when I try to sell something only to realise that no one is listening, so I find out what they are listening to by asking those questions.

If you do that with a small group at first, you might get some small ideas bubbling up on how to recognise customers better and connect with them quicker and with more grace.

From my limited experience selling, it has always felt like fastening a screw tighter and tighter as you show you care about what they are looking for. Once they are convinced you are ok by them, they open up and you are allowed to ask the buying and selling stuff in an honest way.

Also, it is OK to sell, it is a human need that you should not feel ashamed of. But like any "need" you want to present it in a natural way. Instead of stigmatising yourself as "the only one selling here, how embarassing", try to make yourself feel more like "they are in my home looking at my shiny stuff, and yes they can have it, but of course I have time commitments and I can't just give away my hard work to anyone... If you are willing to pay between x and y, I think that is fair. Did I put your mind at ease"

People have nagging questions about buying and the thing is, you need to unburden them of that at some point, and its natural that you have standards and talking price is only polite after a certain context is created.

Thank you Rogue, I must admit, I did find it all a bit embarrassing if I'm honest. People would ask how much certain pieces are and I almost felt ashamed telling them - that had to end now!
I am trying to create an atmosphere of excitement around the pieces, I think the forthcoming festive season will help my cause as its all very sparkly.

Thank you for your input, it's priceless to a newbie like me :)

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I have another fancy idea. Why not create a MLM business. You have the products (decent variation)

I don't know what goes into this creation wise but it might be the route to go with widely assorted products.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Thank you Rogue, I must admit, I did find it all a bit embarrassing if I'm honest. People would ask how much certain pieces are and I almost felt ashamed telling them - that had to end now!
I am trying to create an atmosphere of excitement around the pieces, I think the forthcoming festive season will help my cause as its all very sparkly.

Thank you for your input, it's priceless to a newbie like me :)

Thanks, its nice to be able to help out.

As for the embarassment, don't worry about it, I find it embarassing going down to the bank to pay my rent some times (shudders).
I only know how to sell "decently", but I know the apprehension you are talking about, so I think I have a little more for you.
Whether your end goal is to be huge, or just to really love what you do, getting past embarassment is the first step, and the last is knowing all the perfect ways to do everything (when they come, they will be specific to you and your niche, so its always going to be hard to find all the advice you need on that, some of it you will have to create yourself) but thats for these other guys to tell you and time to reveal so I'll tell you what I can for this part.

Ok, so embarassment...
I think it starts with thoughts like this "I think I have to sell to you", "I was told by my friend that to sell properly I must do it like this?", "I'm not sure if its right and I don't want to scare you away because I haven't done this before, but I want to be confident too, I hope I don't offend you".

The thing I've learnt about selling is
- Let it look like they came to you
- Have a great attitude about why you are selling that means you don't have to struggle on the point of "selling you"

The first thing is easy to achieve, just talk to them like you would anyone, then introduce yourself as the curator or whatever (this will be enough). Its kind of weird, but, just mentioning your title, even in a really nice way can have a huge impact, so judge how to say it to them. This will have them in "your area" so they will feel appologetic, polite, new, and you just lead them, and treat them well so that they are content still being themselves around you.

The second thing was best said by steve jobs, he said "everything in life was created by people no smarter than you". And when I apply that to selling, I think "I am a person who believes in creating, and here is a person who is enjoying and admiring that creation... Do they want it?" I use my curiousity to sell, and my calm self belief in why I am doing this, as the reason why I am confident and don't need to rush "if there is no one else smarter than me out there, then the action is right here, where I am, this is where possibility is".

And that is about not judging myself to a standard that is "out there in the unknown".
That grounding in reality, gives me the ability to humbly sell at MY pace, and not get too paniced about what everyone else is doing.

This was on the forum not too long ago
[video=youtube;VpZmIiIXuZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZmIiIXuZ0[/video]

This is how apple sells.
Its about forgetting the unknown, forgetting everyone else who makes everything else... complicated.

They are telling you their sales strategy.
To me, THIS is selling at its best.

We are so often faced with this "balls" approach that we forget that routines create mistrust.
Be a graceful authority, be inviting, and address what needs to be addressed so they can take something THEY HAVE TOLD YOU THEY LIKE AND MIGHT WANT, back home with them.

You want nice pieces in your place right? I know I do. I am not against the curator introducing themselves, helping me "talk out" my thoughts, and unburdening me of the task of asking them if I can buy it.
I find it HELPFUL that a curator would COMPLIMENT me, by offering.

I might buy it, I might not. But it is never going to be because of contention, its always going to be about the product.
And all you really need to do is ACT in line with your belief in the product, so that you aren't too afraid to speak to your customers needs. And the patience required to not freak out if they "can't decide yet".

Freak out:
"ARRRGH why hasn't anyone bought yet! Can't people just say "I like that, here is my money!". Argh!!!"

Better approach:
"Hmm, lots of interested people around, maybe I should talk to some of them! Oh no, you don't have to throw money at my feet and wave a huge flag to buy, I'll come over, we'll talk, and you can guage your own interest and let me know how the decision is coming for you, if you need me I am right here. Oh and btw, this part is my favorite. Oh whoops silly me, I have a few more people to talk to, I'll be right back, let me know if you would like it"

Facebook:
I know how that works in a gallery, but when it comes to facebook I am thinking you need a way to isolate interested customers and potential buyers from people that are just obviously facebooking.
My first instinct is to create an avatar of your customer, and make it have a lot of character (so they identify with it), and then ask them "are you characterx, charactery, characterz?", and see who comments back with something that can help you address their potential desire to buy.

Gary the muscle head, is likely to be looking to buy a new stereo for his car.
Sally the bookworm, is likely to be looking for a good book to sink into this winter.
Joe the bear, wants a sappy girly movie to watch because he is strange like that.

The type of customer can already tell you a lot about the sell. So my instinct would be to use that.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I have another fancy idea. Why not create a MLM business. You have the products (decent variation)

I don't know what goes into this creation wise but it might be the route to go with widely assorted products.

Something to definitely look into, like you, I'm not sure what goes into that but I will certainly research that in more detail. Thank you :)

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks, its nice to be able to help out.

As for the embarassment, don't worry about it, I find it embarassing going down to the bank to pay my rent some times (shudders).
I only know how to sell "decently", but I know the apprehension you are talking about, so I think I have a little more for you.
Whether your end goal is to be huge, or just to really love what you do, getting past embarassment is the first step, and the last is knowing all the perfect ways to do everything (when they come, they will be specific to you and your niche, so its always going to be hard to find all the advice you need on that, some of it you will have to create yourself) but thats for these other guys to tell you and time to reveal so I'll tell you what I can for this part.

Ok, so embarassment...
I think it starts with thoughts like this "I think I have to sell to you", "I was told by my friend that to sell properly I must do it like this?", "I'm not sure if its right and I don't want to scare you away because I haven't done this before, but I want to be confident too, I hope I don't offend you".

The thing I've learnt about selling is
- Let it look like they came to you
- Have a great attitude about why you are selling that means you don't have to struggle on the point of "selling you"

The first thing is easy to achieve, just talk to them like you would anyone, then introduce yourself as the curator or whatever (this will be enough). Its kind of weird, but, just mentioning your title, even in a really nice way can have a huge impact, so judge how to say it to them. This will have them in "your area" so they will feel appologetic, polite, new, and you just lead them, and treat them well so that they are content still being themselves around you.

The second thing was best said by steve jobs, he said "everything in life was created by people no smarter than you". And when I apply that to selling, I think "I am a person who believes in creating, and here is a person who is enjoying and admiring that creation... Do they want it?" I use my curiousity to sell, and my calm self belief in why I am doing this, as the reason why I am confident and don't need to rush "if there is no one else smarter than me out there, then the action is right here, where I am, this is where possibility is".

And that is about not judging myself to a standard that is "out there in the unknown".
That grounding in reality, gives me the ability to humbly sell at MY pace, and not get too paniced about what everyone else is doing.

This was on the forum not too long ago
[video=youtube;VpZmIiIXuZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZmIiIXuZ0[/video]

This is how apple sells.
Its about forgetting the unknown, forgetting everyone else who makes everything else... complicated.

They are telling you their sales strategy.
To me, THIS is selling at its best.

We are so often faced with this "balls" approach that we forget that routines create mistrust.
Be a graceful authority, be inviting, and address what needs to be addressed so they can take something THEY HAVE TOLD YOU THEY LIKE AND MIGHT WANT, back home with them.

You want nice pieces in your place right? I know I do. I am not against the curator introducing themselves, helping me "talk out" my thoughts, and unburdening me of the task of asking them if I can buy it.
I find it HELPFUL that a curator would COMPLIMENT me, by offering.

I might buy it, I might not. But it is never going to be because of contention, its always going to be about the product.
And all you really need to do is ACT in line with your belief in the product, so that you aren't too afraid to speak to your customers needs. And the patience required to not freak out if they "can't decide yet".

Freak out:
"ARRRGH why hasn't anyone bought yet! Can't people just say "I like that, here is my money!". Argh!!!"

Better approach:
"Hmm, lots of interested people around, maybe I should talk to some of them! Oh no, you don't have to throw money at my feet and wave a huge flag to buy, I'll come over, we'll talk, and you can guage your own interest and let me know how the decision is coming for you, if you need me I am right here. Oh and btw, this part is my favorite. Oh whoops silly me, I have a few more people to talk to, I'll be right back, let me know if you would like it"

Facebook:
I know how that works in a gallery, but when it comes to facebook I am thinking you need a way to isolate interested customers and potential buyers from people that are just obviously facebooking.
My first instinct is to create an avatar of your customer, and make it have a lot of character (so they identify with it), and then ask them "are you characterx, charactery, characterz?", and see who comments back with something that can help you address their potential desire to buy.

Gary the muscle head, is likely to be looking to buy a new stereo for his car.
Sally the bookworm, is likely to be looking for a good book to sink into this winter.
Joe the bear, wants a sappy girly movie to watch because he is strange like that.

The type of customer can already tell you a lot about the sell. So my instinct would be to use that.

That is all extremely helpful, you have hit the nail on the head!
I need to work on my selling and interact on a more individual level with the interested parties.
I believe in the stock and it has all raised a lot of interest. This business is only one week old so I must remember that and develop my skills in a timely manner. I'm pleased with the activity so far but I want/need/aspire to more!!
Thank you, lots of food for thought :)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Cool, show them that belief you have, wear it all the time, don't ever be shy because they need you to lead.

Also, I don't really think of it as "selling", I try to think of it more like "making myself useful", whilst at the same time radiating confidence and playing with the customer so we can better ourselves through the exchange.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
I can do that! Kinda like "look at this beautiful necklace. I like to wear this with a nice red dress. You can own one for £20" that kind of thing?

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The whole thing with selling is finding out what the customer wants. Business is sales.

At my slowlane I do retail sales. We sell gun safes and other stuff along the same line of things. I had a gentle prospecting about 5 safes, looking at one to another. Sometimes you can tell if someone isn't going to buy by how they act. My co-worker was just opening the safes for him to look at. Not really engaged in direct conversation.

I jump in and show him the one I would buy if I needed it. Then I ask if that is close to what he is looking for in a safe. He says yes but would like something a little bit bigger. I took him to a prestige safe that was $300-$400 more. Agreed with him on every point that he made in regards to the PS being better. Sold.

I also got him to sign up to a store credit card, to purchase more ammo for his guns.

Breaking down the sale I got a gentleman to buy a safe today, not some other time. I got him to sign up to a credit card which most people don't do in this area. All by listening to what he wanted.

Listen to some of the stuff people are saying about your jewelry. If they are saying stuff like "I would love to have this with a matching xyz"
All you have to say is, "We have that for YY.XX... act today and get a 10% discount on your total purchase" or something along those lines.

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks Mike, that's really useful :)
I have no sales experience and naively I thought it would be easier than it actually is (as you'll know from experience, this is not the case!).
I suppose I thought that the items would more or less sell themselves!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
naively I thought it would be easier
No worries. I started in door to door sales.

SHIT WAS HARD!

Really though, once you learn sales, you learn how to understand people. Honestly psychology is the easiest way to learn what people want.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Start there. Then you can break down what MJ said in the book about satisfying needs.
Or better yet this specific quote from another thread

If you can make 1,000,000 people achieve any of the following:

1) Make them feel better
2) Help them solve a problem
3) Educate them
4) Make them look better (health, nutrition, clothing, makeup)
5) Give them security (housing, safety, health)
6) Arise a positive emotion (love, happiness, laughter, self-confidence)
7) Satisfy appetites of all kind, from basic (food) to the risqué (sexual).
8) Make things easier
9) Enhance their dreams and give hope

Do any of the above and I can guarantee you this: You will be worth millions.

The rest of that thread here: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...-have-successful-entrepreneurial-premise.html

Sales is a great vehicle to start. Then copywriting. I suggest Neville from AppSumo. His YouTube vid's from his "kourse" is awesome.
It's easier to sell in person though. Communication is mostly body language, on the internet you are just dealing with words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmicgirl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks Mike, you make it sound so achievable! I hope I can use everything you have taught me so far and start the sales rolling in. I started one week ago and have only made two sales so far but my Facebook page has 209 likes. I'm communicating more with interested parties and working like mad on my web page - learning as I go!
I'm putting my all into this and reading, reading and more reading.
You have all be amazingly helpful to me so thank you very very much.
When my business is in full flow I will be hopefully able to help other posters who are in this position :)

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Two sales is two sales. It is better than having a ton of product and no sales.
Congrats, keep selling.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
One thing I realized when advertising on Facebook is that I was competing against everything else on Facebook. Even though people like your page, they really have no intention of buying anything.

They are on Facebook to socialize and browse, and you have to draw their attention away from that long enough to get them to buy. I found this extremely hard.

Also, people like simplicity, if the process of purchasing is to hard they will lose interest quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.