The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Stop Being A Control Freak

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You've got to learn to let go. And ironically, you can't do it alone.

More...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Probably the hardest think I struggle with ... control, trust, the need to have it "just right" ...

G

Guest3722A

One of the secrets they say to being a great trader is to be able to admit when you are wrong and to be able to take appropriate action without the hope of 'it will come back'. This ties in to being controlling and the 'need' to always be right.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Unfortunately, I fall into the "Control Freak" category as well. I trust very little people, and if I ask people to do something for me, I need to know every step they are doing.

You actually believe that no one else can do what you do.-- OO Jeez, I have this too. I always think that someone won't put in the effort that I would and the outcome will be less the expected. I'd rather do something by myself and know every single step that has been taken, than just see the final result without seeing all the details.

Luckily, I have entered the "college life" ; back to the bottom as a freshman. :smxB:
I am taking everyday, getting out there and introducing myself to people. I am working on my people skills. It is tough many times because I am shy but I think to myself, "This opportunity might never arise again."
Many of the people I have met stated that I act overly mature for my age, but I respond with " Just like everyone else here, we all grew up with different backgrounds and situations." I am working on my inner control freak and slowly letting some aspects of that go. It is a difficult process but just like anything, it can be overcome.

minamo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 11, 2010
Unfortenatly i am quite the opposite of this. Deu to a chaotic mindset i often fail to create structure and control in my daily activities.

Ofcourse,like any other entrepreneur i like being in control, but being in control and wanting to be are two big differences.

With kind greetings,

Henk.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Unfortunately, I fall into the "Control Freak" category as well. I trust very little people, and if I ask people to do something for me, I need to know every step they are doing.

Sounds like a good spot for that "trust, but verify" quote. You don't have to say "Ok, come show me when the whole thing is done!" but know what stages of progress you need to see.

Let me regurgitate something I read that's appropriate here...
Get your people to write progress reports that you can understand, focus on the important aspects, and don't only show the positive. Your minions need to be able to trust you enough not to freak out and shoot the messenger, so problems aren't hidden.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.