The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to begin a Network Marketing business

Marketing, social media, advertising

jas0441

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 17, 2011
This forum is great and thanks MJ for setting me down the right path. Can anyone recommend any resources for setting up a network marketing company, like Pampered Chef or Mary Kay cosmetics for instance? I want to do some research to see what is involved and how to do it successfully. I'd love an introduction to Doris Christopher, for instance, if anyone knows her :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jas0441

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 17, 2011
By the way I am already contacting these businesses to become one of their consultants, a good way to learn about the business and how they recruit and what they offer.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
By the way I am already contacting these businesses to become one of their consultants, a good way to learn about the business and how they recruit and what they offer.

Absolutely ... join the most successful companies and reverse engineer their process. I'd imagine that starting one of these companies would involve recruitment of some "heavy hitters" as your founders/inner circle. By all means, none of this is easy.

robjm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 24, 2011
Rochester, NY
I would research Melaleuca (Melaleuca) and its current CEO Frank VanderSloot. I overheard part of a pitch from our neighbor who is a Melaleuca rep and I thought their openness was refreshingly honest.

BTW: I'm not in any way endorsing their products or joining their MLM.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I've been wondering the same thing. I understand the whole program thing. The thing that baffles me is where they have their products made. An acquaintance(friend? shrug) approached me with info on a chocolate product centered mlm. I've been part of quixtar/amway and even amsoil in the past. Never did worth a crap at either one despite my best efforts. So it had me thinking after reading MJ's book and recently being approached, how a person would go through the process.

smith360

Banned
Apr 9, 2011
Network marketing is a form of business that relies on person-to-person sales and recruiting. Individuals who earn a small profit from each sale sell products and services directly to consumers. These same people recruit more people to invest in the products and sell them. A trickle effect ensues as members of each team build their own sub-teams and everyone earns residuals off the people they sign up.

The Intrepid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2011
I joined Quixtar at 16 by having my father join to sponsor me. I quit the day I got the IBO kit in the mail and ran the numbers...

I actually befriended a high level MLM guy and it's amazing how they think of their reps. They're sheep that will believe a good pitch, almost expendable. They'll never tell you that in public though. Too messy for my tastes, especially considering you have to be the face of the company in order to sell the dream.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Other important issues:

Miniscule margins
Less than competitive pricing
Dealing with the people that fail to execute (remember what MJ said about events)
everyone you attend functions with is a potential competitor.

Reminds of a joke:

The lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

jas0441

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Yes good way to describe what I am doing, 'reverse engineering' it using a successful program as my model.

Right now I have too much product (bottled wine, I manufacture it in my winery) so not too worried about small margins, better than it sitting in my warehouse. But I hear you about dealing with your salespeople, and them not following through, etc. It might be simply too much work for too little return. That is what I want to find out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.