The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to be faster than a Ferrari for less money than a Honda Civic

Is Bob Dylan right? Does everyone secretly like motorcycles, deep down?

• YEAH.. vrooooomm.... braah brah brah vraaaaaaaooooomm..

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No way, man, those things annoy me so much. Let me explain why..

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
I really enjoy riding, but probably won't again in the forseeable future after an accident last year. 100% my fault, laid it down in the middle of an intersection on grand ave ( phx guys will understand my hate for those intersections ) walked away with just some nasty road rash on my arm but was fortunate enough to be wearing a helmet because I smacked my head good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'd drive a Yamaha R1 everywhere, balls to the wall, if I was guaranteed my safety. But life doesn't work that way. When you die you are dead for a long time.

So the only thing I'd own is a 50cc Vespa or something if I had a yacht so I could cruise around in port. Even then I'd wear a full motorcycle helmet.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
For those of you contemplating getting a bike, remember this: You WILL drop your bike at least once. Everyone does it. If you haven't then you will eventually. It's inevitable.

I used to ride motorcycles but sold mine after moving cities. Now I don't ride anything.

I remember a buddy of mine dropped his bike and was RAN OVER by an SUV. The SUV didn't stop and I think even to this day they still haven't caught the person. He spent months in the hospital. And to this day he still has aches and pains.

I started out with a 250 Dual Sport then worked my way up to a Ducati. I know TONS of fun but risky.

I have had tons of close calls from morons running red lights to cars on the freeway changing 3 lanes in less than a second.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I remember a buddy of mine dropped his bike and was RAN OVER by an SUV. The SUV didn't stop and I think even to this day they still haven't caught the person. He spent months in the hospital. And to this day he still has aches and pains.
They come back to haunt you as you age.

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Hey! i own a civic and it's a little faster than a ferarri. Well if the 166 Inter coupe counts ;)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
My dad had the same epiphany as Z after a few close calls on his bike. I took a basic motorcycle safety course when I got to England and I've decided it's not for me. When I was stationed in Spain, several of my friends had near death experiences. Mostly because they were dare devils (MotoGP is huge out there). They were all riding the Ducati or Aprilia racer type bikes. The locals had bike week every year in a nearby city and tens of people would die racing or acting out on the inner city streets. A really good friend of mine has titanium rod in his leg from doing a racer's lean on the street, losing control, and being launched some 30 odd feet through a traffic sign. He has legit racing skills and went to race courses to practice too. If he breaks it again, they'll have to amputate it.

Another service member I was acquainted with got really messed up because a car in the oncoming lane crossed into a side street causing him to t-bone the vehicle with his bike and his body. His brain swelled up in his helmet and they had to cut it off. He didn't die, but there were probably moments where he was close to it. He sustained a bunch of other injuries too, broken bones etc.

The thing I don't like about bikes is that if you mess up it could be fatal. If other drivers can mess up, it could also be fatal. The percentages of being maimed or killed go up too drastically. If I'm going to push my luck, I'm getting a convertible with good acceleration.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I love my motorcycles and plan on having them forever. Maybe not ride everyday like I do now but, definitely wont stop driving. It's in my blood!

This is a pretty close replica to my fully custom honda cb 750
rocketz55-300x150.jpg

and i bought this motorcycle because Hunter S. Thompson owned it / wrote the story about it

s5.jpg

Going to buy an R6 pretty soon as well

Call it ignorance but, ignorance is bliss. I'm never giving it up.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I plan on going for my full motorbike test so I can drive a bike this summer.

Used to ride a GIlera 125 about 12 years ago and loved it.

I've always wanted to get a proper sports bike since dreaming about owning one as a kid, but after my only car accident (totally my fault, thought I could defy the laws of physics) in the Alps, it made me realise I was not invincible. Car flipped upside down, slid along the road, myself and passenger lucky to get out unharmed.

Now, I got the bike bug again, calling me for some reason.

I just want to get the bike in my avatar and get the buzz of being ALIVE...

Reading this thread is making me think twice, I want the fun and the speed, but don't want to mess myself up, esp for the sake of my son and family.

Dammit!

Last edited:
M

MCLARENF1

Been riding since I was 16. I am 32 now. Always rode sport bikes, started on a fzr600, went down in the summer when i was 18 at 40 or so mph and got some road rash, no big deal. Kept riding like I was invincible, my dad was a complete motor head etc. Cars bikes, anything that goes fast.
Had a high speed crash when I was 20 years old on the southern state expressway in ny going over 100mph, clipped a jeep on a fast turn and didn't lean the bike in far enough(gsxr750). Took off the mirror on the jeep with my shoulder and went flying.
The doctor said that it was a miracle that I didn't break any bones and said that because I was in really good shape( was jacked back then about 220 lbs) and its what saved me.
Tore up and took out a huge chunk out of my shoulder leaving severe scaring on shoulder, and arm and some severe contusions on hands.
This was MY fault. Bike was totaled by the way. Got back on a friends bike 6 months after, wasn't the same amount of fun. Been riding on and off since up until 4 yrs ago. Haven't been on a bike since. Ive been training mma and bjj since i was in my early 20's and HIGHLY recommend that if you want a rush.
As men I believe we NEED to push ourselves and challenge ourselves. Now i just stick to 4 wheels.

Whatever you decide, please ALWAYS ride with leathers and gloves and know that you WILL go down. After having more than a handful or friends die or get paralyzed from riding I just can't do it anymore.
I had a buddy get rear ended at a red light and he was killed instantly. This was from a drunk driver and my friend was planning on selling the bike at the end of that week!
Maybe a good compromise would be to do a track day and leave your riding to tracks only. Good luck and stay safe.

M

MCLARENF1

or just get a backdraft racing cobra or an ariel atom with the 500bhp. Even better than a bike in my opinion.

D

DeletedUser394

I live in a pretty red neck city, and every summer once the snow melts all the a-holes with their harleys come out of the woodwork and rumble down the roads at all hours of the day and night.

They are a public nuisance.

I don't mind the race/sport bikes nearly as much (lime green ninjas are sexy), but every time I see an idiot on one of them darting through traffic or going 0 to 100 in a couple seconds off a red light, I can't help but feel no remorse each time a death results. (had a couple already.. only had nice weather for a few weeks so far).

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I've never been much of a road bike person, but I raced competitve motocross from the age of 4 until I was 17, and I was really good. When I was 17 was racing and I got really badly injured. I overshot a jump, broke 4 fingers, broke my collar bone, popped my shoulder out of place, bruised my spine, a concussion and if I wasn't wearing a neck brace the doctor said I could have snapped my neck. I had to be flown by helicopter to the hospital and it ended my racing career.

I haven't ridden a dirt bike in over 2 years let alone a street bike, but ever since my accident I've always had the mindset that if I could get that badly injured on a closed off track, surrounded by a dozen or so people on small bikes, than the type of accident that could happen on an open road where you are surrounded by massive cars and trucks is just ridiculous. I know that with motocross you have the jumps and obstacles that can cause injury, but those don't even compare to the obstacles you have on the road. To me, it's not worth it- I'd rather stick with my car

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I too raced motorcycles until I was 19. I was sponsored and raced flat track, moto-x, desert races, enduros...
All dirt as pavement scared me. I liked my skin too much. I ALWAYS wore helmet, gloves, usually leather pants and dressed for the worst. I had many high speed crashes as that is part of the game. As I became good, crashes were less frequent but pushing it to the edge as clip @Young-Gun posted, was the ultimate thrill I still remember today. That clip brought back many memories but on a non pro level.

I lost some friends to street bikes, most but not all were from the other people on the road. Road riding, as thrilling as it may be, is not for me. I was to used to going WFO so going the speed limit would be too boring. As others mentioned, way to many things that can go wrong and that also would just take the fun out of it for me.

Just my 2 cents, Dirt bikes rule on the dirt and automobiles rule on the pavement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.