The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to be faster than a Ferrari for less money than a Honda Civic

Is Bob Dylan right? Does everyone secretly like motorcycles, deep down?

• YEAH.. vrooooomm.... braah brah brah vraaaaaaaooooomm..

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No way, man, those things annoy me so much. Let me explain why..

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Yankee427

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 17, 2011
NJ
I was watching this show called Brain Games on National Geographic channel and it was explaining how your vision is connected to your brain processing the images coming at you.

It was a very interesting episode and one of the aspects of the show was explaining how when you are driving a car, your brain will pre-process the images in front of you before you even visualize the cars in your view. For this reason, sometimes people will actually just flat out not see motorcyclists on the road because your brain is so trained to see cars, that the motorcycles just will not be there. It is a blind spot in the processing by your brain.

This is why when someone hits a motorcycle, sometimes they will say, I did not even see it there at all, or it came out of nowhere.

Ajita

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 17, 2013
Florida
I don't think I'll become a motorcycle person, but I want to see how this suits me:

IntegraR0064

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 26, 2013
Greater Philly
I'm not saying don't own a motorcycle, if you accept the risks and still do it fine, but you are not being realistic about the risks. Every single friend I've ever had who got a bike ended up in a very major accident that damaged their body permanently and severely for life. None of that (with the exception of one of them maybe) was their fault. People driving cars are complete morons when it comes to bikes, and a simple mistake on the part of you or anyone around you will end catastrophically.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
but don't let over-confidence blind you, this destroys lives.

key. Especially if your a squid. And gear up. Accept that your going to go down. Everyone goes down. But it's not nearly as bad if your wearing proper gear. It's not fun when you have skin missing because you thought a tanktop looked 'cooler' than a jacket.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I saw a guy fly off his motorcycle yesterday afternoon. He totaled one car, severely damaged another and, he almost totaled himself. Yes they are cool and, I would like to have one but they are just too dangerous. I have too many stories to tell of motorcycle accidents and, for that reason I will probably never get one.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
It's like anything else "risky" in life: perception.

98% of motorcycle accidents involve one of these three factors:

1) operator is male
2) operator is under 25
3) operator is incapacitated in some manner, ie: drugs or alcohol -something that slows the reaction time.

There will always be things in life perceived as risky (leaving a secure job to start your own business, anyone?) & everyone has to make the decision for themselves if it's worth it or not. Risk vs Reward, isn't that what life is all about? :)

Some people eat fast food every day & refuse to work out. I ride a 1000cc motor atop two wheels. Who's really participating in the risky behavior?

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
If we're talking straight up risk of an early death by participating in one of the two activities mentioned (riding a motorcycle regularly vs. eating fast food & not exercising), then, BY FAR, I'm participating in the less risky behavior. That's what I'm saying, it's all about perception, regardless of what the stats say. Just like so many people are TERRIFIED of flying, yet drive every day to work with Starbucks in one hand & their phone in the other. One behavior is waaaaay more likely to result in their death/dismemberment, but it's not perceived that way, so no fear.

Yes, someone's carelessness could end my life tomorrow. I acknowledge that. But you can't spend your life being afraid of what could happen. If I focused on what could happen to me, I'd never leave my house.

Now jumping out of an airplane? You couldn't pay me to do that. And I'm sure it's less risky than everything mentioned above. No F*cking way. Never gonna happen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
I really enjoy riding, but probably won't again in the forseeable future after an accident last year. 100% my fault, laid it down in the middle of an intersection on grand ave ( phx guys will understand my hate for those intersections ) walked away with just some nasty road rash on my arm but was fortunate enough to be wearing a helmet because I smacked my head good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioActive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 12, 2014
Maryland
Hey! i own a civic and it's a little faster than a ferarri. Well if the 166 Inter coupe counts ;)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
I love my motorcycles and plan on having them forever. Maybe not ride everyday like I do now but, definitely wont stop driving. It's in my blood!

This is a pretty close replica to my fully custom honda cb 750
rocketz55-300x150.jpg

and i bought this motorcycle because Hunter S. Thompson owned it / wrote the story about it

s5.jpg

Going to buy an R6 pretty soon as well

Call it ignorance but, ignorance is bliss. I'm never giving it up.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I plan on going for my full motorbike test so I can drive a bike this summer.

Used to ride a GIlera 125 about 12 years ago and loved it.

I've always wanted to get a proper sports bike since dreaming about owning one as a kid, but after my only car accident (totally my fault, thought I could defy the laws of physics) in the Alps, it made me realise I was not invincible. Car flipped upside down, slid along the road, myself and passenger lucky to get out unharmed.

Now, I got the bike bug again, calling me for some reason.

I just want to get the bike in my avatar and get the buzz of being ALIVE...

Reading this thread is making me think twice, I want the fun and the speed, but don't want to mess myself up, esp for the sake of my son and family.

Dammit!

Last edited:
M

MCLARENF1

or just get a backdraft racing cobra or an ariel atom with the 500bhp. Even better than a bike in my opinion.

D

DeletedUser394

I live in a pretty red neck city, and every summer once the snow melts all the a-holes with their harleys come out of the woodwork and rumble down the roads at all hours of the day and night.

They are a public nuisance.

I don't mind the race/sport bikes nearly as much (lime green ninjas are sexy), but every time I see an idiot on one of them darting through traffic or going 0 to 100 in a couple seconds off a red light, I can't help but feel no remorse each time a death results. (had a couple already.. only had nice weather for a few weeks so far).

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
I too raced motorcycles until I was 19. I was sponsored and raced flat track, moto-x, desert races, enduros...
All dirt as pavement scared me. I liked my skin too much. I ALWAYS wore helmet, gloves, usually leather pants and dressed for the worst. I had many high speed crashes as that is part of the game. As I became good, crashes were less frequent but pushing it to the edge as clip @Young-Gun posted, was the ultimate thrill I still remember today. That clip brought back many memories but on a non pro level.

I lost some friends to street bikes, most but not all were from the other people on the road. Road riding, as thrilling as it may be, is not for me. I was to used to going WFO so going the speed limit would be too boring. As others mentioned, way to many things that can go wrong and that also would just take the fun out of it for me.

Just my 2 cents, Dirt bikes rule on the dirt and automobiles rule on the pavement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.