The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How the Freak Did This Happen?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know what happened to my Twitter account but the people following me certainly don't subscribe to my interests... I'm attracting the wrong crowd.

Most of my followers seem to be involved in one of the following:

1) MLM
2) Golfing (I suck at golf!!!)
3) Weight Loss

And since I will follow anyone that follows me (except spammers and those with terrible follow/follower ratios) this mis-targeting seems to be self-perpetuating.

I follow mostly entrepreneurs, internet marketers, "coaches", SEO, and forex stuff.

Yet, every day my follower count goes up with "golf, MLM, weight loss" and other stuff that really isn't relevant in my sphere.

Ugh.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just here and on my FB account, I'm not even involved in any 3rd party apps. I'm in the WeFollow directory under "entrepreneur" "marketing" "author". That's it!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Sorry, MJ, but this just made me laugh out loud.

I should feel bad for you bro, but I'm thinking this is hilarious! :smilielol:

You've got your own new demographic here:

:locked:"Twits for MJ"! :locked:

-Russ H.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
"marketing"

This would be my guess... MLM also tag themselves in the "internet marketing" because now there are MANY (too many) digital products out there that are promoting the MLM products.

I also learned to "gather" on Twitter and "build relationships" in Facebook.

You might try attempting to "leverage" the following you have by adding another level to your plan. Find a way to turn what Twitter attracts into a buying customer. The novice will do it directly with Twitter (that does not work). Make what you have, what they need.

I am by no means an expert. And am just beginning to grasp the Twitter power. I have just recently begun getting some of the results that I am after. I will keep you posted.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
WildAmbitions said:
I am just beginning to grasp the Twitter power . . .
Ah . . . the power of the TWIT . . .

(the following clip is presented in fun, but I still find it the most inspirational 5 minutes of the entire Star Wars saga).
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCSVfTL784Q]YouTube - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Yoda teaches Luke the force[/ame]

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
MJ,
I would keep attracting the golf crowd. I love golf and most of the golfers I know are motivated self starters. I think you have to have some of that personality trait to continue to be attracted to a game that is very difficult to learn. Plus, I think there is a lot of passion in individuals who love golf. I get the sense that people either love golf or hate it. Just my feeling.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Kidgas,

I first saw Star Wars in a funky old theater by our summer home. Didn't have quite the impact (it was running in the B movie houses by then).

Saw Empire Strikes Back in the theater, and just about melted into my chair. Hoo-ah!

Been a George Lucas fan ever since.

Was an honor to work w/Lucasfilm when they rolled out their Home THX system in the US.

Spending time at Skywalker Ranch (a fairly quick drive from my house), was incredible. Saw lots of first run films there before they were released: Backdraft (first showing ever, in the entire world-- Ron Howard and George sat 5 rows up from me), Twister, True Lies, and many, many more.

Ate lunch a table or two over from George in Skywalker's employee dining room many a time. It was very cool working alongside one of my "heros". :)

-Russ H.

Colbehh

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 7, 2008
3) Weight Loss

Take the hint MJ! haha, just kidding:smxB:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Now I guess I can add 2 more new demographic trends that seem to be following me ...

1) Jewish related content
2) Spanish speaking content where the tweets are all in Spanish.

I'm not Jewish and I don't speak Spanish!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
According to Twitter, I am a fat, spanish-speaking jewish yoga enthusiast involved in MLM who plays golf every weekend.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
According to Twitter, I am a fat, spanish-speaking jewish yoga enthusiast involved in MLM who plays golf every weekend.

LMAO! I was not not aware Twitter was actually profiling now. Curious though, are you basing this on who is following you? And who do you follow? Only you control who you follow.

On the other hand... at least your popular multi-culturally.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Icy said:
PhxMJ said:
How does that differ from the consensus here?

1. MJ is Italian, not Spanish (right?)
2. They forgot writer and car enthusiast. ;)

Honestly, MJ, we're all having a hoot over here every time you update us.

God only knows what kind of twits would follow me were I on Twitter. :wtf:

-Russ H.

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
God only knows what kind of twits would follow me were I on Twitter. :wtf:

-Russ H.

From what I've read of your posts, I could envision a long Back yard Fence, with about 50 Wilson personas (Home Improvement) peeking over the top :)
You know, quiet, reflective, well read, tears up at musicals :) I'll even throw in intelligent :tiphat:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
That would be fun. :)

Wilson would be great as a neighbor. Loved the tie-in w/the Beach Boys.

(and thanks, if that's the persona I give off here-- hate to think I come off as some conceited know-it-all bastard).

Loved the show Home Improvement-- that show taught me more about women/marriage than any other single thing in my life (shocking, I know, and sad! :( ). Wish I would have learned about these things in other places, but at least I did learn!

What I learned:

1. Always apologize FIRST. And be sincere. Chances are it is your fault.
2. #1 is not sarcastic-- it is true. Embrace it-- for the rest of your life.
3. Don't win the battle and lose the war. Marriage is not a war. It's a series of compromises.
3a. Don't fight for things that are not that important to you. Give in. Learn to enjoy this. :thumbsup:
4. You're in it for the long haul. Enjoy the ride. But make sure she's enjoying the ride, first.
5. Take your relationship seriously (ie, don't mess around), but have fun together.
6. Treat your wife w/respect. Treat other women w/respect. If you have to choose, your wife comes first.
7. Don't EVER talk about women w/other women-- unless you're just generalizing. You'll probably STILL get in trouble, though. ;)
8. Don't talk about your wife w/other men. Talk about your wife w/your wife.

Lots of others, but these are the few that come to mind off the top of my head . . . :)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
No offense taken, Sparlin.

Actually, I kinda liked it. :)

I admired the Wilson character-- loved his encyclopedic knowledge and quick access to facts.

Plus, he seemed like a quirky, philosphical guy. :smxF:

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.