The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How important it intelligence?

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
How important is it in the fastlane to be intelligent?
and if you say it is important or not important, what is your definition of intelligence?

How about being creative?
How about being more 'brainy' then 'handy'?

If you had to make a top 3 of important qualities for fastlane, what would it be?
What would be the most defeating?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Adaptable to change
Persistent and consistent selling machine

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I would define intelligence as a sort of thinking ability. You have to think. The Fastlane is like chess and you are going to come across choices where you have to come up with something clever to lose the competition etc. People/Entrepreneurs just don't think. Why? Because people don't like resistance and they are short sighted; they want answers to problems in seconds not hours or even days or months.

But I would say Determination is the number one trait. You have to be determined to gain knowledge and apply it to win.

The worst I would say is narcissism(I wanna be rich! I want nice stuff!) and Know it all(I KNOW this venture/idea is gonna work!) type people. These are the Wally Wantrepreneur type people. They stubbornly call themselves Entrepreneurs when in reality they are just selfish and dumb people(most common).

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I was an A+ student during my school years.

Everybody predicted I would be extremely successful.

My grades backed me up!

Then the real world happened...

And people with "people-skills" were the ones dominating everything...

I think it is true, "A students work for C students"

Of course I've seen many exceptions, but the classical definition of Intelligence does not translate in the business world --or the 'friends' world-- if you don't know what to do with it.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Real intelligence is problem solving and what I call plussing (take an existing idea and add something to make it significantly better), if you have those two, you have the best ride on the fastlane.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
and if you say it is important or not important, what is your definition of intelligence?

If you had to make a top 3 of important qualities for fastlane, what would it be?

I think you have to be inquisitive and curious.

Are you the type that is always questioning things? That is good.

I think reading comprehension skills and ability to synthesize vasts amounts of information down to the facts is extremely important. You have to be able to acquire information from many sources and spit out decisions based on that information. So I think being well read and remaining on top of all types of information is extremely helpful.

I agree being adaptable to change, flexible and resilient.

Being able to delay gratification

Being able to sell, which requires a genuine desire to help others, requires that you have devoted some time to understanding what makes people tick and what drives people to do things (being inquisitive comes into play again)

I think the most defeating is being immature, selfish, and entitled.

Sue

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
The worst I would say is narcissism(I wanna be rich! I want nice stuff!) and Know it all(I KNOW this venture/idea is gonna work!) type people. These are the Wally Wantrepreneur type people. They stubbornly call themselves Entrepreneurs when in reality they are just selfish and dumb people(most common).

Why do u think these are the worst?

How so?

I think the most defeating is being immature, selfish, and entitled.

why do you think that?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
How so?
'C' Students More Successful than 'A' Students - Careers Articles

The success of 'C' students happens mostly because they were learning about the world and how to manage it when the 'A' students were tethered to their books. 'C' students competed for class office, put in plenty of time at the college newspaper, started advocacy organizations, worked part time, fell in love too often, and engaged in other activities.
All that provided direct insight into what makes people tick, how the world really operates, and strategies for recovering from a defeat.
Former chief executive officer of Home Depot and head of Cererbus Operating and Advisory Company Robert Nardelli was a so-so student. Where he put his energy was in making his mark in organizations such as the Boy Scouts. After he wasn't appointed chief executive officer of GE, he sure nailed down other big jobs.
President John F. Kennedy was no brain, but his golden gut told him to surround himself with those who were (note: they worked for him). And you know how lackluster a student President George W. Bush had been. One-term president Jimmy Carter was the brain.
So, how does this information help your career? Here are some applications:
The fields demanding book smarts, ranging from law to college teaching, are shrinking. Do well enough in your courses to learn what you need to. The important thing is to make contacts for your internships and job search. Hands-on experience trumps book learnin'.

Be wary of going to work or joining in a start-up where scores from standardized tests and academic grades are valued. Likely, they are out of touch. The new normal is all about street smarts.

Had you been an 'A' student, get over it. Learn to learn from more direct ways such as observation and then connecting the dots on your own. Connect those dots in an innovative way and you could become very successful.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Intelligence has also been correlated to cognitive biases.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Some of the most intelligent people arround us are often not the people you would expect. It could be the binman for example or the cleaner in your school.

Allot of the most scarily intelligent people on the planet, The Savents, do not even have jobs!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Why do u think these are the worst?

Because most Wantrapreneurs are like this. They focus on money not value. They are know it alls (I Know my idea will work!, I Don't need to read! I'll just outsource it!") And they stubbornly call themselves Entrepreneurs. my 2 cents.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Up to this day mankind has not found the one and only answer to the question: What is intelligence?

There is no 1+1=2 definition for things like intelligence or who is dumb or smart etc.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Important, but it's not the only variable.
Hardwork, Determination, Luck, etc all count too.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
why do you think that?

Because being immature, selfish and entitled leads people to do things without consideration of others, it is a "ME ME ME!!! ALL ABOUT ME! MY NEEDS, MY DESIRES, ME ME ME! LOOK AT ME!! FOCUS ON ME!!"...No good is coming from that. I don't care if it is in business or personal lives. How can a person possibly focus on the needs, wants and selfishness of others if they are wrapped up in the same narcissistic thinking? It is destructive and if you go into business and possess those character traits, your chances of being one of the 95% failures, skyrockets.

Sue

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Interesting. I was an A student in high school. Never got below an 85% on anything, graduated near the top of my class. 94% GPA.

I was having a conversation with my uncle after the Super Bowl. He said that he was glad that I ended up with B's my first semester in college. He said that I needed to be humbled the way I was because it's one of life's most important lessons. I had always considered myself one of the most intelligent people in the room. Thinking that way is extremely limiting and he was right: I had put myself in an 'intellectual bubble' even though the truth was (and still is) that I'm just a kid with little real life experience and with no reason to be as pretentious as I acted (and sometimes still act).

Although that feeling of being intelligent is something that I miss sometimes. Good thing it's not the only thing in life worth living for.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
:hurray:
Because being immature, selfish and entitled leads people to do things without consideration of others, it is a "ME ME ME!!! ALL ABOUT ME! MY NEEDS, MY DESIRES, ME ME ME! LOOK AT ME!! FOCUS ON ME!!"...No good is coming from that.

Sue

Preach it Sister!!! :great:

somniloquist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jun 8, 2012
Los Angeles

I can only speak for my own experience, but sometimes I find that I'm too smart for my own good, and bias toward plotting and speculation instead of simply executing and seeing what happens. I would gladly trade some IQ points for better execution -- I think I would work a lot harder if I knew I wasn't so intelligent... it makes me kind of lazy, and it's hard to get out of that trap.

I also have a lot of really intelligent friends and colleagues. Many of them have severe social problems, and we've talked about what we think causes that. The general consensus is that with the intelligence comes a higher level of awareness and sensitivity, and that it makes it really uncomfortable to have to deal with people who can't see it / don't get it. A good position? Who can say, the human experience can only be subjective, and inside this box the grass sometimes appears to be greener on the other side.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be on a high horse or toot my own horn here. My conclusion is that you'll feel a lot better and have more success if you work with what you have rather than worrying about deficiencies and envying others.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I can only speak for my own experience, but sometimes I find that I'm too smart for my own good, and bias toward plotting and speculation instead of simply executing and seeing what happens. I would gladly trade some IQ points for better execution -- I think I would work a lot harder if I knew I wasn't so intelligent... it makes me kind of lazy, and it's hard to get out of that trap.

I also have a lot of really intelligent friends and colleagues. Many of them have severe social problems, and we've talked about what we think causes that. The general consensus is that with the intelligence comes a higher level of awareness and sensitivity, and that it makes it really uncomfortable to have to deal with people who can't see it / don't get it. A good position? Who can say, the human experience can only be subjective, and inside this box the grass sometimes appears to be greener on the other side.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to be on a high horse or toot my own horn here. My conclusion is that you'll feel a lot better and have more success if you work with what you have rather than worrying about deficiencies and envying others.

Are you my clone?

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
@ somniquilist - What you said was inline with my thinking about too much intelligence actually becomes a handicap in normal everyday life. I do not fit into that category but I can understand and also have a very special friend who has an extreme IQ and comes from a family littered with geniouses. Unfortuately with their gifted intelligence comes other physical problems :(
My friend has an uncle who is a real life savent. She told me that you can take him anywhere in the world, as long as it is on a roadmap and he can tell you where he is, the name of the road and give you directions to any place you want to go. Mindblowing stuff and extremely fascinating.
What I like about my friend too, is that she can see, feel, taste, smell and hear numbers and letters. That to me is cool!
So, like I said I am not a very intelligent person but I really like intelligent people, because they can see things I can't. :)

Turboboost

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 11, 2012
@ somniquilist - What you said was inline with my thinking about too much intelligence actually becomes a handicap in normal everyday life. I do not fit into that category but I can understand and also have a very special friend who has an extreme IQ and comes from a family littered with geniouses. Unfortuately with their gifted intelligence comes other physical problems :(
My friend has an uncle who is a real life savent. She told me that you can take him anywhere in the world, as long as it is on a roadmap and he can tell you where he is, the name of the road and give you directions to any place you want to go. Mindblowing stuff and extremely fascinating.
What I like about my friend too, is that she can see, feel, taste, smell and hear numbers and letters. That to me is cool!
So, like I said I am not a very intelligent person but I really like intelligent people, because they can see things I can't. :)

Well, being with your friend's uncle must really be an experience you never forget. I've been interested in special people and special skills since I was a kid. I always wanted a special skill but like you said, with such skills (or extremely high intelligence) come other problems. I consider myself as average intelligent and I like it this way. My gift is that I have a strong visualisation of goals I want to achieve but have problems with execution on the other hand. In my head everything seems to be so easy and doable but when it comes to reality, I often get confused and give up. This is a major problem I have to solve.

MartinV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Sep 17, 2011
A couple of quick bullet points from the book Power: Why Some Have It and Others Don't

Only 20% of workplace effectiveness is attributable to intelligence (though it is the largest single factor)
Only 4% of the difference in people's income is attributable to their intelligence

Of course, you probably need a certain base level of intelligence to get a particular job or (if self-employed) to seriously attempt a particular task, but beyond that, your success has MUCH more to do with your non-intelligence attributes.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Adaptable to change

I will say this.... I think many businesses and entrepreneurs lose fortunes for no other reason than this. People and companies become rigid and complacent. When the market changes they get left behind.

Jun 22, 2012

Intelligence is how quick and exact you think that too in rational manner, which is applicable and acceptable to all. i am very new to this forum but I think you should be adaptable to change and flexible to be here.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
He said that I needed to be humbled the way I was because it's one of life's most important lessons. I had always considered myself one of the most intelligent people in the room. Thinking that way is extremely limiting and he was right: I had put myself in an 'intellectual bubble' even though the truth was (and still is) that I'm just a kid with little real life experience and with no reason to be as pretentious as I acted (and sometimes still act).
It is great that you realize this and can 'fix' it early.

It took me way longer than 18 years old to even notice it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I would gladly trade some IQ points for better execution -- I think I would work a lot harder if I knew I wasn't so intelligent... it makes me kind of lazy, and it's hard to get out of that trap.
I can relate.

More execution, less thinking, that makes a great difference in reaching success.

I also have a lot of really intelligent friends and colleagues. Many of them have severe social problems, and we've talked about what we think causes that. The general consensus is that with the intelligence comes a higher level of awareness and sensitivity, and that it makes it really uncomfortable to have to deal with people who can't see it / don't get it.
My uncle is just like that. So much talent, no results, no accomplishments. My other uncle, on the other hand, I am not sure he even finished high school. He owns a truck and 18-wheeler repair shop. Not glamorous at all, but he is rolling money right now. How? Hard work.

My conclusion is that you'll feel a lot better and have more success if you work with what you have rather than worrying about deficiencies and envying others.
Great point. Rep ++

But also, it is good to recognize what you have and lack, and maybe work on finding what is missing to be successful. After all, Bill Gates had a partner. Same with Steve jobs. They were good at something but needed others to make the business round.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
In my head everything seems to be so easy and doable but when it comes to reality, I often get confused and give up.
is it 'things' that confuse you? or the people you need to interact with?

I've seen many plans fail because they require a high level of interaction with other. People that spend too much time thinking and less time socializing find this to be a huge obstacle. (do not ask me how I know, ok?)

If it is not people then, what confuses you? What is missing? lack of knowledge? do not know 'how' to do something (for example, want to create an iPhone application but do not know how to code)

This is fascinating :D

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I had always considered myself one of the most intelligent people in the room.

lol, I use to be the same way too. It just means you haven't been exposed! The more you learn, the less you know! the less you realize that you don't know a lot, because you are still learning. You begin to have appreciation for those who you are learning from.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Only 20% of workplace effectiveness is attributable to intelligence (though it is the largest single factor)
Only 4% of the difference in people's income is attributable to their intelligence

Thats all wrong... why should i believe these stats anyway? We all know "work smarter, not harder" and we know it for a reason.

Intelligence is a MUST in moving forward... i did not say it was the ONLY but it is a MUST.

Motivation + Persistence + Hard Work+ bad strategy= nothing
Intelligence is needed in order to have a good "smart" strategy
so
Motivation + Persistence + Hard Work+ good "smart" strategy= success

The phrase "outsmart the next guy" was created for a reason otherwise it would be "outwork the next guy"

We all see so many smart people too intelligent for their own good, and go take the "normal" road.

The answer to this technically is yes intelligence does matter.

EXAMPLE:
Johnny is a successfully guy with a decent IQ, he makes $750k per year.
Now Johnny is cloned except he is twice as smart, he comprehends twice as fast, he learns new concepts twice as fast.

Who is going to make more?

Its not fair to compare two different people one being very motivated and one being very smart, only a dumb person would do this (hahah), lets take a successful person and make them smarter and i think its correct to say they would be better off. I have seen many hard workers go backwards in business, ive seen many smart people barely work and go far, and ive seen everything in between so it is hard to gauge. I personally know someone who is extremely motivated, a hard worker, and a genius, you would not want to be around him... he will make you feel like a loser in all aspects in life, he just makes tremendous moves everyday, quantum leaps and i believe his intelligence helps a lot.

Although all the intelligence in the word does not help without execution which i believe is very obvious, i think we can all agree being smarter would only make it easier.

P.S. the guy above (Adamn Carolla) giving that great advice, i would bet is highly intelligent, lol.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I think that intelligence is very important, but there must be a balance between intelligence and social skills. If you really want to take a look at how intelligence and social skills play into success, you should really read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It is a book that I have already recommended on here countless times and I could not recommend it enough. Just read the chapter entitled, The Trouble with Geniuses Part 2, which talks about the lives of Chris Langan, someone you have most likely never heard of, and J. Robert Oppenheimer, the man who led the development of the atomic bomb, both of whom had IQs of 195, but whose lives turned out dramatically different.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.