The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I used Parkinson's Law, and did more work in a week than others do in a month.

gersi.ndr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 7, 2023
I'll keep this as short as possible because you and I have hella work to do.
How to Use Parkinson's Law to Get More Done in Less Time ...

Parkinson's Law basically states that deadlines can cause procrastination or even prompt people to fill their time with trivial matters. If you have a month, to complete a task, that's how long it will take you, even if the task can actually be done in a couple of weeks. If you have a task that needs to be completed in 3 days, you will put a bit more effort into it, and actually finish it in those 3 days.

Now.. how did it help me, and how will it help you?

In my case, I wanted to open a Social Media Marketing Agency, like everyone did, a few months ago. I had no idea how to open one of course, except that I needed a website, a PowerPoint presentation, and a way to get clients. I spent more than a couple weeks, trying to learn, a couple of hours a day, and I definitely did a little. To me though, it seemed like a lot of time had passed, and I did not learn that much in comparison to the time spent.

To cut straight to the point.
I spent an hour one day, creating a list of things that I do not know, or that I'm not fully sure about, when it comes to opening my own agency. I set a deadline of 7 days, to learn as much as possible about the following topics.

And I did. I created a short plan, on how I will spend these 7 days, just so I don't get confused or bored, which took me 1 hour to do in Notion. Then googled / ChatGPT'd away!

The END!

(optional read)

I am using this technique again now. My life has kind of slipped away from me, not that I ever really had it. I did not continue with the agency, because after a dozen cold calls, I realized that the leads I was calling, got tons of calls just like mine, all day every day. Anyway... I have a "10 Month Journey to Success" I call it. Basically, 10 Month Plan to open a business that makes me enough money to fully pursue it and also drastically change my life, mentally and physically. Become wise and strong. I did the same thing, I wrote down a plan for each month (right now I am on Month 1), and I figured out as many things as possible, in that time span.

For ex. Some things I have to figure out this month are:
What am I going to do? (What business am I going to open? - Just an idea of how it works..)
Read 2 Books (50 ways to get to yes - your next five moves)
Seek pain and master the monotonous.

And then I have notes:

Screenshot 2023-09-07 212910.png

I hope you found this to be of help. If so, comment, because it makes me feel amazing actually!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sorrento

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 27, 2023
I'll keep this as short as possible because you and I have hella work to do.
How to Use Parkinson's Law to Get More Done in Less Time ...'s Law to Get More Done in Less Time ...

Parkinson's Law basically states that deadlines can cause procrastination or even prompt people to fill their time with trivial matters. If you have a month, to complete a task, that's how long it will take you, even if the task can actually be done in a couple of weeks. If you have a task that needs to be completed in 3 days, you will put a bit more effort into it, and actually finish it in those 3 days.

Now.. how did it help me, and how will it help you?

In my case, I wanted to open a Social Media Marketing Agency, like everyone did, a few months ago. I had no idea how to open one of course, except that I needed a website, a PowerPoint presentation, and a way to get clients. I spent more than a couple weeks, trying to learn, a couple of hours a day, and I definitely did a little. To me though, it seemed like a lot of time had passed, and I did not learn that much in comparison to the time spent.

To cut straight to the point.
I spent an hour one day, creating a list of things that I do not know, or that I'm not fully sure about, when it comes to opening my own agency. I set a deadline of 7 days, to learn as much as possible about the following topics.

And I did. I created a short plan, on how I will spend these 7 days, just so I don't get confused or bored, which took me 1 hour to do in Notion. Then googled / ChatGPT'd away!

The END!

(optional read)

I am using this technique again now. My life has kind of slipped away from me, not that I ever really had it. I did not continue with the agency, because after a dozen cold calls, I realized that the leads I was calling, got tons of calls just like mine, all day every day. Anyway... I have a "10 Month Journey to Success" I call it. Basically, 10 Month Plan to open a business that makes me enough money to fully pursue it and also drastically change my life, mentally and physically. Become wise and strong. I did the same thing, I wrote down a plan for each month (right now I am on Month 1), and I figured out as many things as possible, in that time span.

For ex. Some things I have to figure out this month are:
What am I going to do? (What business am I going to open? - Just an idea of how it works..)
Read 2 Books (50 ways to get to yes - your next five moves)
Seek pain and master the monotonous.

And then I have notes:

View attachment 51226

I hope you found this to be of help. If so, comment, because it makes me feel amazing actually!
I 100% agree, setting ur own deadline seems to do much better than just "I'll do it tomorrow"

Even I had started an marketing agency,but then it became so mainstream, i had to get out of it!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...