The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I opened an artist's loft from the ground up w/ only a few $K

G

Guest3722A

In the late 1990s, I had a business idea that just wouldn't leave me alone. The idea was to lease out a commercial building with a decent amount of square footage so that I could partition rooms and rent them out on a monthly basis to the local band and musician community. Initially I got the idea from seeing bands renting spaces in neighborhood storage units, but with that type of space, the musicians still had time restrictions and eventually the storage unit businesses weren't allowing this anymore. Meanwhile, while I was dreaming and mentally putting it all together, I was also visiting home depot doing calculations to get my costs in line and driving through commercial and industrial districts to get an idea of what was out there. And over (procrastinating) time, my plan transpired to opening the business with a friend of mine, John, because at the time I figured taking on one of my best friends as a partner would be a good idea.

At this point I had a basic idea of costs and other things related, but like many, I didn't really have the guts to actually put myself in a situation of that scale that I had to make work. I've never done anything like this before so it was easier to dream about it and talk about it than to just do it. Now this next little part I'm gonna mention is something that most only see on tv but from where I'm from, these types of events hit close to home for many in my surrounding. In December of 2000, one of my good friends was shot and killed while he was sleeping. Obviously this was very devistating for all of us and mine and my buddy John's thoughts were that life was too short to not take chances. But then it got worse because sadly and horribly, three procrastinating months later, my best friend John took his own life. This was the last straw that caused me to take immediate decisive action regardless of costs and my cautious demeanor. I had blinders on and didn't care about anything else except living and following my dream.

Within the next week I called the owner of a building I had my eye on and metaphorically burned the bridge by signing on the dotted line, and handing over a sizeable chunk of my savings for a building. I say burn the bridge because by spending the money and signing to a lease commitment, I had no way back.

After signing, my plan was to build and power four rooms, 2 big and 2 small, rent them out with first, last and security, which the thought was that it would be enough to pay the next month's rent with a little left over to build one more room, and pay utilities. But, to my surprise, NOBODY wanted to be the first to rent space. So I was stuck with an ad in a popular musicians publication, which got my phone ringing, but no takers. At this point I was 3 weeks in with a lease payment coming up and desperate so the next thing I did saved my arse! What I did was when I had the next prospect show up to look at the rooms, I had turned a radio on in one room and locked the door and in another room I had set up my drums and played while my girlfriend showed the two open rooms. One big one, and one small one...your choice! And wouldn't you know it, they signed!!! After this point the remaining rooms were claimed, as well as an office that was in the building, and I was in business. The next month I built 5 more rooms and filled them, and then after the next couple months I had 18 rooms built and 100% occupancy, with a waiting list months out.

Then the day came when I showed up and had a letter on the door from the City... As I'm sure many of you were probably wondering, the letter in so many words said that I needed a Certificate of Occupancy and to cease operations until I had inspections. To be honest, prior to this point there was no way I could've afforded to pay for architects and inspections and the only reason why I didn't lease an existing office space with rooms already in it was because the cost per sq. ft. for office space was at around $7-12+ on a nnn whereas industrial footage could be had for $2.50-$7+ gross. Many can argue that the costs would've balanced but maximum monthly cashflow is what I wanted in a lease situation.

Anyway, I can still remember the day the inspector showed up and wouldn't you know it, it was on the day that my heaviest speed metal band was in there rehearsing with their cookie monster vocals and their drummer double bassing a mile a minute. So what does the inspector do? He gets a big smile on his face, lights up a smoke, and decends into the abyss. And what did I do? I walk next to him and played stupid the entire time. Now I know this isn't the proper way to go about establishing a professional and responsible presence, but when you have nothing, you improvise and do the best you can with what you have to work with and build towards getting things right. And at this point in the game, almost two years later, I had accumulated enough to pretty much buy the entire building and start from scratch, had I chosen. Which then leads into the next chapter... buy the building which in total was almost 13000 sq ft ( I leased half and there was a neighbor) or move to something bigger that could minimize my waiting list.

To make this long story short, I ended up moving to a new location that was almost 19,000 sq. ft because the problem with purchasing the existing building was that the current owner wanted to write into the purchase agreement that I had to take the neighbor along with the deal because the neighbor bought, and was still paying for the landlord's previous steel-shop business. Sure it would've been rent money, but I still had a waiting list and could've quadrupled what he was paying in rent, with my business expanded into that space.

At the very end when it was all said and done, I had done everything from putting a sewer line in, to clearing a half acre of trees for a parking lot, to tapping the power lines on 8 mile road so that I had 600 amps in the new building. All of this coupled with a 20 camera surveillance system with infra-red, 2 keyed plus room key plus key code entrance for security, not to mention I built my entrances with chicken wire and osb sandwiched between the 5/8ths drywall, and I also built a quarter operated game room that had a pool table, dart boards, video poker and a juke box. In addition my vending machines sold guitar picks, strings, cords, drum sticks and drum keys, and on occassion I would have a flat bed from a semi backed in there as a stage and threw some massive parties. On top of this I've had an MTV video shot in there, and my tenant list had guys from Bob Seger, Sponge, Chad from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, guys from Uncle Cracker and many many others.

In the end I lost it all because it ended up in court simply because the landlord wasn't willing to fix some water issues and broke the lease constantly, for which I was literally on the stand for hours getting drilled by attorneys. I won in court, but lost my business, my home, my vehicle and myself. Currently I am classified homeless in the state of Michigan, and on Government aid, food and medical, but I'm fortunate to have good friends, one of which who gave me a job in his shop for which it enabled me to save two years of living expenses. To all of you reading this, going from entrepreneuer to having to work for someone to make ends meet feels awful and is not easy. You do NOT want to do this. Be the driver and not the passenger in your ventures if you can help it!

Currently, my spirit is far from broken as I'm waiting for an ss4 # for a group of small investors who have seen me make a 200% return in 6 months in a stock account I've been trading for a friend. Under contract with this investment group, I am to receive 40% of all capital gains, with no recourse should it blow up, to trade their funds. And my goal is to build it up so that I have the minimum $5000 required to trade proprietary, for which I would get 100x's buy power to scalp trades with.

Ultimately, I'm going to be the one who WILL show a viable system to reduce poverty in America. I know it sounds crazy, but I believe it

I have the system, and seeing that I am poverty stricken, I am going to be the "proof". The problem, is that I'm also thinking about how easy and relatively inexpensive it would be to open an indoor bikini car wash, with mirrors on the walls, and music blaring... the inspector who inspected my first building said he would be my first customer.... hmmmmmm

Decisions decisions... save the world, or bikini car wash :smxG:

Anywho... have a good one, and thanks for reading!

-Topher

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Re: How I opened an artist's loft from the ground up with only a

Wow I gotta bump this up so others get the chance to read this great story. Topher I'm sorry that it took the passing of two close friends to drive you into action back in 2000 but it sounds like you had one hell of a ride building the music hall business.

Would it be possible to both trade for your investors and build a car wash business simultaneously or would time limit you to only handling one of these ventures? Is there other car washes in your area (bikini or regular washes) or is there little competition? If you had the time and if real estate prices in your area are still depressed and there is a market for a bikini car wash I don't see why you wouldn't pursue both ideas.

With creativity like you describe in the paragraph I quote below I'm sure you'll have no problem getting back on the road to prosperity I think it is great the way you managed to allay the first tenants fears through a bit of trickery, good luck.

But, to my surprise, NOBODY wanted to be the first to rent space. So I was stuck with an ad in a popular musicians publication, which got my phone ringing, but no takers. At this point I was 3 weeks in with a lease payment coming up and desperate so the next thing I did saved my arse! What I did was when I had the next prospect show up to look at the rooms, I had turned a radio on in one room and locked the door and in another room I had set up my drums and played while my girlfriend showed the two open rooms. One big one, and one small one...your choice! And wouldn't you know it, they signed!!! After this point the remaining rooms were claimed, as well as an office that was in the building, and I was in business.

G

Guest3722A

Wow I gotta bump this up so others get the chance to read this great story. Topher I'm sorry that it took the passing of two close friends to drive you into action back in 2000 but it sounds like you had one hell of a ride building the music hall business.

Would it be possible to both trade for your investors and build a car wash business simultaneously or would time limit you to only handling one of these ventures? Is there other car washes in your area (bikini or regular washes) or is there little competition? If you had the time and if real estate prices in your area are still depressed and there is a market for a bikini car wash I don't see why you wouldn't pursue both ideas.

With creativity like you describe in the paragraph I quote below I'm sure you'll have no problem getting back on the road to prosperity I think it is great the way you managed to allay the first tenants fears through a bit of trickery, good luck.

Thank you for the kind words. The car wash idea was something I've been joking about for quite some time and it hasn't been until recent that I actually started looking at it as a possibility. Currently there are plenty of auto washes in my area but zero with my specific idea. What I like about it is that it has a certain novelty aspect to it. A bit of shock value. Something that will get people talking and curious to see. This in itself I believe could have a strong brand presence right from the start and I would think would be relatively easy to cookie cut and even franchise once the brand was strong enough. Also, I would think that a premium price could be charged for the actual service and I'm willing to bet that the cars would be lined up.

As far as trading at the same time, I don't think it would be possible as I'm the type of trader who needs to be glued to my screen the entire time the market is open. The reason why is because I don't have a lot to work with. Once I meet higher levels in the account maybe I could automate it, or switch over to scalping which would drastically limit my screen time. And even once the account with the LLC gets funded, it will still be under-capitalized. But, I believe with conservative expectations within 6 months I will be at a level to apply with a prop.

I think the best road for me at this time would be to honor my commitment to the investors and build my way to trading proprietary. This makes the most sense to me because some prop firms will set up qualified traders with remote access so they can trade from 'home'. Once this is in place, I'll be able to put it in third gear. :fastlane: Third gear I believe will enable me to build an adequate foundation. Once the foundation is built, I'll be in fourth. Once I'm at this level, I will once again have options, and I truly believe I can accomplish this in less than a year. But once I'm at this point I may consider setting up a general partnership for the car wash.

G

Guest3722A

Question for the moderators - Would it be possible to add two words to my title? Last night when I posted this I didn't realize that they were missing. The title should read: "How I opened an artist's loft from the ground up with only a few thousand dollars"

thank you and sorry!

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO

I seriously love that creativity too, about the radio in one and playing drums in another. Lol that's good stuff!

I don't know too much of trading, but who doesn't love a good bikini car wash?

Nstyle

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 9, 2010
Re: How I opened an artist's loft from the ground up w/ only a fe

Topher great story, I too am from Detroit born and raised currently in Orlando, just a heads up, there are about 3 bikini car washes here and they do well, they where only forced to close one down because of the nieghborhood basically rejecting the idea. Here its a lil easier because its weather permiting and the guy basically rented a small area on the grounds of a few major gas stations, I am sure you could do the same over the summer. Just a thought

mlsalters77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 2, 2010
Lawrencville Ga, currently in Afghanistan

This is a great story! what I love most was the improvising with the radio and drum set. I'm sorry about the lost of your business (and friends as well) but the greatest testament here is the fact that you lost it all and your already on tack to making it back. It's like the old saying, "Teach a man to fish...."

bye the way, go with the bikini car wash. As long as we have to vote between Dem's and Republicans, the world will always be f@%#ed! lol. Much success.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area

That's a great story. I wish you luck in your future ventures and I know you will surpass what you have already accomplished.

G

Guest3722A

Update:

Finally my investors have got their check sent out to fund the broker account they set up in an LLC. Once it clears, I will be able to begin trading it. In addition I have been in contact with some of the top recommended 'arcade type' proprietary trading firms and have been crunching their numbers to see what the best fit for my situation would be. ECHOtrade thus far seems to have the best setup whereas with trading 20,000 shares daily with them, all ecn fees would get waived, and I'd be able to trade remote from home.

Currently I'm averaging 20,000 shares traded daily in my ToS paper account, averaging $300 per day scalping Ford. With me, I can consistently accomplish this generally within a one hour period.

The hurdles I'm currently facing with ECHO are I need a series 7 license which will cost me up to $1200 for the test and study materials, and will take me up to 3 months to be in position to take the test. All and all though, my focus is on the fact that I can consistently average $300 daily daytrading with the 20,000 shares. Maintaining that with minimal variance on return will build a steadily positive equity curve, and will enable me to dig my way out of the hole I am in.

By this time next year I believe I can have all of my bad debt paid off, and be nicely ahead of the game! :banana:

-Topher

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.