The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do young drivers get insurance on supercars

D

DeletedUser11

MJ said in the book that the guy who drove the Lamborghini countach looked under 23 or something.

Just wondering how young drivers get insurance companies to insure them.

For example:

Andy Murray (professional tennis player) paid 150,000$ for insurance on a used ferrari f430, he is 22 and passed his driving test 5 months prior to buying the car.

Justin Bieber: He has 2 ferraris, a lamborghini, range rover, smart car and like 5 others. For a teenager his insurance on his 458 Italia must be insane.He bought most of the cars when he was like 17. His total car insurance could be over 1million$.

Any really young guys here with a supercar ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
MJ said in the book that the guy who drove the Lamborghini countach looked under 23 or something.

Just wondering how young drivers get insurance companies to insure them.

For example:

Andy Murray (professional tennis player) paid 150,000$ for insurance on a used ferrari f430, he is 22 and passed his driving test 5 months prior to buying the car.

Justin Bieber: He has 2 ferraris, a lamborghini, range rover, smart car and like 5 others. For a teenager his insurance on his 458 Italia must be insane.He bought most of the cars when he was like 17. His total car insurance could be over 1million$.

No offense at all but I'd worry about that when you get there. This is just a distraction in the mean time.

D

DeletedUser11

No offense at all but I'd worry about that when you get there. This is just a distraction in the mean time.

Haha true but I was just wondering how it works, you could end up buying a car that you cant get insured and it would just be sitting in your driveway

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
You can get insured. Some of the big companies like AllState might not touch you, but somebody will insure you. The reason the first guy paid so much is because he only had 5 months of driving experience, which is the equivalent of being 18-1/2. Doesn't matter that he's 22, he's only driven for a few months (legally).

P.S. You may not be able to insure a RENTAL car under 25, but that is just what I've heard.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Where did you get that figure of $1 million?

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
My only present understanding is that, typically, there's special insurers for exotics and that you get an agreed value policy rather than the usual states value policy. But rates would vary widely due to age, sex, driving record, marital status, homeowner or not, etc.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
F*cking insurance companies. They wrote my old car's off totally about 5 times over when I was a teenager... Never filed a claim.

KeonTheGreat

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Nov 25, 2012
Some states allow you to "self insure" If you have enough money you put the state minimum requirements in a bond of some sort, they then issue you a type of certificate in place of an insurance card. There are pros(like not having to pay for something you may never use)and cons(like having to pay hundreds of thousands in ddamages if it got that far) to this of course.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Why are people bashing him for wanting to learn? When you guys ask a question about how to make this or I wonder how this works people don't bash you and say make millions then ask questions.

Maybe he just wants to know because he likes learning and is naturally curious. What's wrong with that?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Why are people bashing him for wanting to learn? When you guys ask a question about how to make this or I wonder how this works people don't bash you and say make millions then ask questions.

Maybe he just wants to know because he likes learning and is naturally curious. What's wrong with that?

Well, I was wondering where he got this thought, " His total car insurance could be over 1million$."

I know he is young, but being young doesn't mean you should make statements or assumptions without any data to back it up. It is absurd to think that a stable of cars worth $1 million dollars is going to have insurance costs of $1 million dollars. People say things like that all the time and it just shoots down your credibility. I always ask what a person has based his statement on.

He could answer his own question by calling some insurance companies to see if they would insure him for a Ferrari or Lambo. Then he would have a real answer right there, and he could come back and inform everyone on the forum how much it costs to insure a Ferrari for an 18 year old. Then everyone here learns.

That is the real way to learn. With real world facts and figures.

PS: I can tell you that when I was 25, I called to see what insurance on a 1991 911 turbo would be. The answer was $8,000 a year. But that was a long time ago. :)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States

When I was 17, I drove a '71 Chevy Vega. Does that count?

I spent one night in March of that year, laying on my back in the freezing weather, installing a new clutch in it. Tightened it down nice.
Went to a Doobie Brothers concert with a girl. I dropped the clutch on the way home in an effort to impress her with the power of the 4-cylinder motor.

The clutch held. The transmission didn't. I had to drive all the way home (20 miles) in 2nd gear. VERY impressive.

But it worked. Just celebrated our 35th anniversary on March 4th.

If they insured me, they'll insure anyone.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Well, I was wondering where he got this thought, " His total car insurance could be over 1million$."

I know he is young, but being young doesn't mean you should make statements or assumptions without any data to back it up. It is absurd to think that a stable of cars worth $1 million dollars is going to have insurance costs of $1 million dollars. People say things like that all the time and it just shoots down your credibility. I always ask what a person has based his statement on.

He could answer his own question by calling some insurance companies to see if they would insure him for a Ferrari or Lambo. Then he would have a real answer right there, and he could come back and inform everyone on the forum how much it costs to insure a Ferrari for an 18 year old. Then everyone here learns.

That is the real way to learn. With real world facts and figures.

PS: I can tell you that when I was 25, I called to see what insurance on a 1991 911 turbo would be. The answer was $8,000 a year. But that was a long time ago. :)

Just tried that. So far Geico and Allstate don't cover them. Lol

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
true!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just tried that. So far Geico and Allstate don't cover them. Lol

Nope, I had to switch from Geico and Allstate when I got mine. I think State Farm said yes but was crazy expensive. I use Amica. There are alot of companies that insure them, just not the companies that you see lots of commercials for.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Nope, I had to switch from Geico and Allstate when I got mine. I think State Farm said yes but was crazy expensive. I use Amica. There are alot of companies that insure them, just not the companies that you see lots of commercials for.

I'll call my agent Monday and see if they'll cough up any answers for me. I'm going to keep working in this until I get some answers.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Immunnics brings more to this forum in his few 12 posts than anyone I have ever seen before! Ding ding ding

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Immunnics... how far have you fallen to prove our beliefs by tolling our forum... Sidewalker.
I'm curious what you find out CEBenz. I checked my comapny (esurance) and they said I was un-insurable for an exotic lol. I'm young and less than perfect on my driving record tho. I'd assume millions would be accurate for the Beiber example, however, I have no data to back that up. I can't even name one of his songs... let alone his expenses.

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011

That's like saying "Where exactly is San Diego?" - "Oh, don't worry about it until you make it there..."

It helps to know how much this stuff costs so you can plan on whether the lifestyle money target you're shooting for is enough to support it. If I plan to make $10k per month passively with my business that's not enough to buy a brand new Aventador Roadster when I'm 28. Or is it? How do I know?

sbinnc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 27, 2014
This is a stupid thread.

I've owned a few "Exotics" and the rates were never insane. In fact on a few they were between $70-85 a month full coverage at the time I was 23-25

The only issue you would run into are some companies won't insure the type of car, I had this issue with one brand but State Farm was able to take care of me, only big name brand that would touch the type of car. All other general insurance companies it was on their "black list"

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
insurance rates vary from place to place also... what it may cost me to insure something here is not what its going to cost in new York or California... (I pay less for full coverage on a brand new car than liability cost me in pa)

that said. what kind of insurance are we talking? are we talking a paid for car or a financed one? this stuff makes a difference in what you have to provide as far as insurance...

all that is required if you own the car outright is basic liability. (to fix the other persons car) and if it is financed you have to have enough insurance to pay off the loan. (or enough for value and a gap policy for the difference) remember it goes down in value the moment the title is transferred into your name. so it is never worth what you paid until it starts to appreciate (rare for cars but possible for classics an exotics I suppose)

what your probably talking about is your collision portion of your own policy or underinsured or non insured if someone hits you, or if you are at fault. that's where it gets expensive. again depending on if you own it or its financed this portion is negotiable.

in order to compare prices properly you have to have all the same numbers and coverage amounts

curious to know what was found out by the op :)

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
As much as it pains me to say this as a commercial underwriter, you can insure your exotics way cheaper under a commercial policy than through a personal lines carrier. I see Aston Martins, Ferraris, etc. that belong to the owner under the auto policy for the business he/she runs, and it is significantly less expensive, due to lower commercial rates and the spread of risk when you have multiple autos on a policy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.