The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you keep track of your competitors?

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I'm thinking that competitors is a great source for new ideas. Do you guys have a document to keep track of all competitors in your niche? If you do have: What software do you implement? What metrics do you use to analyse your competitors. Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
I'm think that competitors is a great source for new ideas. Do you guys have a document to keep track of all competitors in your niche? If you do have: What software do you implement? What metrics do you use to analyse your competitors. Thank you
Your competitors will always be the least of your worries.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I have accounts on their sites. Have loyal clients funnel information on prices/offering/etc. Even have a manager at the competition funneling information.

We treat everyone well, and do honest business, so people like coming to us when they're getting taken advantage of and let us know what's going on.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I have accounts on their sites. Have loyal clients funnel information on prices/offering/etc. Even have a manager at the competition funneling information.

We treat everyone well, and do honest business, so people like coming to us when they're getting taken advantage of and let us know what's going on.
Nice, getting into competitor's funnel is a great way to learn from them. Thank you, i will implement this.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Going off what other people wrote:

The first thing that matters is you and your offering. What matters next is the competition.

As @Dan_Cardone said, there's a lot to learn from the competition. In my opinion, being competitive and knowing about your competition is essential to making your offering the best it can be. Who cares if your product is valuable, but it's more expensive than the next best option. If someone is aware of both offers, then they will ALWAYS buy the better option. Think about that.

You have to always strive to do what the direct competition is doing, and do it a little bit better. Indirect competition is less important.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I've used Spyfu and SimilarWeb to see what my competitors were doing.

I make it a habit to look at the way that the largest competitors in my space are marketing themselves. The largest companies have the budget to do multiple rounds of testing. If they are doing their landing pages a certain way or sticking with a certain approach in their funnel, it's fairly likely that they've tested against other alternatives and found this one to work the best. Copying what they're doing (and then improving from there) is often a shortcut if you're an underdog and don't have the budget to do the multiple testing rounds yourself.

You don't necessarily even need software to figure out what your competitors are doing. Just approach their company as if you were a potential client and reverse engineer what they're doing.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
Going off what other people wrote:

The first thing that matters is you and your offering. What matters next is the competition.

As @Dan_Cardone said, there's a lot to learn from the competition. In my opinion, being competitive and knowing about your competition is essential to making your offering the best it can be. Who cares if your product is valuable, but it's more expensive than the next best option. If someone is aware of both offers, then they will ALWAYS buy the better option. Think about that.

You have to always strive to do what the direct competition is doing, and do it a little bit better. Indirect competition is less important.
i will bear in mind this, thank you

Last edited:

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I've used Spyfu and SimilarWeb to see what my competitors were doing.

I make it a habit to look at the way that the largest competitors in my space are marketing themselves. The largest companies have the budget to do multiple rounds of testing. If they are doing their landing pages a certain way or sticking with a certain approach in their funnel, it's fairly likely that they've tested against other alternatives and found this one to work the best. Copying what they're doing (and then improving from there) is often a shortcut if you're an underdog and don't have the budget to do the multiple testing rounds yourself.

You don't necessarily even need software to figure out what your competitors are doing. Just approach their company as if you were a potential client and reverse engineer what they're doing.
Nice, thank you. But can i ask one more question, how do you choose the competitors that you will be watching for? is that just the largest ones? I mean when there are dozens of competitors in your niche, it will be hard to keep track of all of them.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
In addition to watching how the competition markets and sells its wares, look up complaints and issues people have with your competition's products and services.

Figure out what they aren't giving their customer that the customer wants, or how the customer is being underserved, and you now know how to make your product or service better.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Nice, thank you. But can i ask one more question, how do you choose the competitors that you will be watching for? is that just the largest ones? I mean when there are dozens of competitors in your niche, it will be hard to keep track of all of them.
I would say it's not just the largest ones. If you're a small player in an industry with competitors of all sizes, it's also useful to look at the methods and tactics of the companies your size (because sometimes it isn't realistic to think that you can copy the things that the big dogs are doing).

I would also say, take to heart what others in this thread have said. Focus on YOUR business first. Looking around at competitors is only a distant second priority. Only do competitor research in a way that doesn't distract you from your mission and purpose.

It shouldn't take you very long, anyway. If you're thinking that you need to research EVERY competitor at a deep level, you're waaaayyyyy overthinking this.

Here's an example of quick (but effective) competitor research that I'd do using Spyfu the SEO context.
  1. Type in your own website. Look at the 3-4 competitors that they list for you. Look at the keywords that your competitors are ranking for that you AREN'T ranking for. Identify the lowest hanging fruit keywords out there. Put together a plan to create content that gets you ranking for those keywords.
  2. Then look at a few of your competitors URL's. Check how much they are spending on ads. (Your adspend budget compared to theirs will definitely restrict the amount you can expect to get the same results as them, but you can think through whether there are "guerrilla" methods of getting results on a shoestring.)
  3. Check which sites are linking to your competitors. See if you can create content that's good enough to earn backlinks from the same (or similar) sites and put together a plan to conduct outreach to request backlinks from influential sites.
These three actions are simple. This whole process shouldn't take you more than an hour to plan out what you're going to do. Research this once a quarter and then execute the plan over the course of the quarter.

Hope this helps!

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
I would say it's not just the largest ones. If you're a small player in an industry with competitors of all sizes, it's also useful to look at the methods and tactics of the companies your size (because sometimes it isn't realistic to think that you can copy the things that the big dogs are doing).

I would also say, take to heart what others in this thread have said. Focus on YOUR business first. Looking around at competitors is only a distant second priority. Only do competitor research in a way that doesn't distract you from your mission and purpose.

It shouldn't take you very long, anyway. If you're thinking that you need to research EVERY competitor at a deep level, you're waaaayyyyy overthinking this.

Here's an example of quick (but effective) competitor research that I'd do using Spyfu the SEO context.
  1. Type in your own website. Look at the 3-4 competitors that they list for you. Look at the keywords that your competitors are ranking for that you AREN'T ranking for. Identify the lowest hanging fruit keywords out there. Put together a plan to create content that gets you ranking for those keywords.
  2. Then look at a few of your competitors URL's. Check how much they are spending on ads. (Your adspend budget compared to theirs will definitely restrict the amount you can expect to get the same results as them, but you can think through whether there are "guerrilla" methods of getting results on a shoestring.)
  3. Check which sites are linking to your competitors. See if you can create content that's good enough to earn backlinks from the same (or similar) sites and put together a plan to conduct outreach to request backlinks from influential sites.
These three actions are simple. This whole process shouldn't take you more than an hour to plan out what you're going to do. Research this once a quarter and then execute the plan over the course of the quarter.

Hope this helps!
This is very much detailed and helpful. Thank you a lot, i will try not to overthink this.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
What do you do to find ideas? If you don't mind me asking :D
If you're looking to competitors to find new ideas, then you're always playing catch up.
Figure out what your market needs, and beat your competitors to it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.