The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you explain technical services to the non-technical client

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Hey guys,

I love my clients with all my heart, but for the love of me I can't figure out how to explain my services to them in a way they can 100% understand.

Increased profits? They got that. Better brand look? Check ...

But then they ask about specifics, and they always do, and I go into the details like they ask ... their eyes glaze over as if I were speaking a different language.

This issue hasn't made me lose any sales, though it does cause wasted time, confusion and overall feelings of uneasiness on both sides.

How do you guys handle such things?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Hey guys,

I love my clients with all my heart, but for the love of me I can't figure out how to explain my services to them in a way they can 100% understand.

Increased profits? They got that. Better brand look? Check ...

But then they ask about specifics, and they always do, and I go into the details like they ask ... their eyes glaze over as if I were speaking a different language.

This issue hasn't made me lose any sales, though it does cause wasted time, confusion and overall feelings of uneasiness on both sides.

How do you guys handle such things?

How do you currently explain it?

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
My products are not overly difficult to understand so I am sorry I do not have direct experience.

So maybe I can look at it from a potential customers point of view.

Any possibility of having a sheet that shows the technical aspect in an easy to follow diagram, flow chart or something similar? Email it to them ahead of time and it may cut down on your time spent educating them.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I currently do several attempts, when they first ask I try explaining it to them 'as it is'. If they don't understand the jargon, I then dumb it down as best I can.

Though every time I try to dumb it down I feel like I'm treating them like idiots and I feel as if they feel we're on different planets (not a good thing).

Maybe I just need to put more thought into how I can translate, for example: CMS into 'a way for you to edit your content easily' ... or something...

I love the idea of diagram or flow chart ... haven't thought of doing that yet. I'm not one for graphics and presentations ... the whole presentation is me. Though I think I'll spend some time now making some easy to follow sales funnel infographics or something.

I'm not sure how much I can send ahead though. Most of my clients seem rather busy and are looking for the 'here is my idea, get it done' type services. They want to know some things, but aren't interested in the technical mobo-jumbo. aka: "What's in it for me?" and nothing more (usually).

What do you guys things? Should I just translate the technical jargon into english and benefits and leave it at that?

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Just tell them you have a PROVEN proprietary system that is EXTREMELY technical and if they have a few hours you can go through it with them. Going into details is wasting your time and theirs.

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
Huh .. that's a good idea!

"It's a proven system" ... "extremely technical and if you have a few hours we can go through it and explain it ... going into such details is wasting your precious time and mine."

Great idea. Don't know if I'll word is exactly like that but it gives me many ideas.

Thanks guys!

fastlaneCoder

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 10, 2012
Georgia, USA
Just avoid technical buzz words. Avoid the things they don't understand. It's as simple as that. Give them a very high level view. Explain what your system does and not how it does it!

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 24, 2011
Burnet, TX
I agree with the other posters about telling your clients that what you do is proven and very technical. Let them know that you would be glad to go over the details with about the system and if they want you to do that, avoid technical words and try to relate what it does to things that they do understand. For instance, when I was a paramedic, I taught cardiology to knew paramedics, doctors and nurses in a class called ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support). If there was a nurse or paramedic that couldn't understand what was being taught, then I would relate the function of the heart to something everyday like a pump. By doing that, they were able to understand a bit better and have the confidence to apply the information they gained.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.