The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How can craigslist improve for businesses?

voyska

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 17, 2013
Oregon
Hi, wondering why so many local businesses don't use Craigslist to promote their service. What's wrong with the model? You would think the easiest way to connect with a community would be fairly popular with local businesses. Are people just not searching classifieds for deals and offers or is there a larger issue at play?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Time.

Barrier to entry is too low on craiglist. Anybody can post, anybody can respond. The amount of people who will waste your time is through the roof.

You'll generally have a lot less wasted time as a business if you're going through a broker, a hiring firm, a referral. Opening the craigslist floodgates is just a waste of time and a huge aggravation.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I think part of the issue is that for the most part, its free to advertise on craigs. Since its free, its oversaturated. Anyone that wants to drop an ad.....anyone operating a business, legitimate or not, profitable or not, successful or not, can put up an ad.

voyska

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 17, 2013
Oregon
I agree with that. I think the "open for anyone" is an issue, but could be fixed fairly easily with a few added tools. If an over-saturated marketplace wasn't the issue, do you think consumers would even find business classifieds beneficial?

Here is something we are working on that might fix a broken model: Search >>> CiteAds <<< A work in progress, but maybe it has potential.

dabelge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 22, 2011
Minneapolis
voyska-

I have been thinking about something like this concept for the last couple of weeks. Some of my customers feel like craigslist is bringing too much competition/riffraff/flakes to the marketplace.

My concept would be to charge the sellers a monthly subscription fee that would allow them unlimited listings. IMO this would add credibility to the listing, kind of like being a seller on Am azon Of course you still have the biggest problem of all, getting consumers to your site.

I see that you are offering it for free.

Where would your revenue come from?

voyska

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 17, 2013
Oregon
Classifieds are due for serious innovation, but not just a spin off of an existing idea.

Everyone knows how to use Craigslist, no business owner in their right mind will waste time on the service. So many businesses posting offers and coupons on Facebook, but Facebook is too personal and difficult to search local. We are attempting to combine these models to create the ultimate tool for local advertising. Is this not interesting for both consumers and businesses?

The goal is not money.

bophisto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 12, 2012
Interesting question. I haven't seen any deals or offers on craigslist for local businesses that I can think of ..but maybe that's your point.

I think it's better for service related businesses landscaping, contractors, etc versus a retail store or restauraunt/bar for example.

I'm sure local car dealers do get business by advertising their cars on craigslist.

I could see how a nonservice related place could promote themselves..but I think it would have to be different than the typical offers you would get in a mailer or flyer such as "$5 off your next purchase or free appetizer"

voyska

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 17, 2013
Oregon
make the barrier to contact you high, so that only the sales superstars end up contacting you or at least customers who dont ask stupid questions

Noted. We thought about this. Most businesses don't really need a direct messaging system. Craigslist is built on making it easy to contact a poster. Your local painter may needs this. Your pizza chain may not. Our solution was a simple on or off option for direct messages.

What else could make CL better for businesses?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.