The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here's why you should never forget what the C stands for in NECST

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I like the idea of mailers with a % off code and your website listed, then you could have some type of rewards plan for each purchase even if it's for a small amount to hook them in. You'd likely have to build your product base from power supplies to other electronics that are more repeatable buys. So long as you pick up more volume it can make up for the slim margins. If you start getting people to your website more you can up sell to different products you might not have on Amazon then won't have to worry about price as much.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Sounds remarkably similar to when I was generating 100% of my living expenses from a niche SEO site I created...then Google slapped away 25% of my traffic.

Keep your head up man. You'll find a way to move on.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I have been looking at ways to grow my business in the light of this unfortunate situation. I've taken on board a lot of comments including @Vigilante on another post saying he only sources products to sell that no one else is selling. I'm also going to look for a product that there is a greater "need" for as @Weaponize suggested.

In addition to that my current business model is based on reading product manuals and conducting a lot of research into what the power supply requirements are for electronic devices. I'm sure however there are thousands of searches done by customers each day looking for power supplies that nobody has yet to resell because they don't know what that particular product requires. If i could come up with a way of finding these customers and sourcing/providing that power supply i'm sure i could make a lot of money that way.

The key is getting the product to market first.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
It sounds like the message was automated? That's ridiculous if they just pull your account without a human reviewing the complaints. I found this on another website.

1. Copies of your purchase orders, receipts, or invoices for your inventory
2. Your distributor’s or supplier’s contact information (name, phone number, address, etc.)

You have provided 1. that they have asked for. Have you given the contact details in 2.

I know it will have been on the invoices but I would send it again.

If this doesn't work I would get in touch with the Executive Team to ask them for further clarification as to what they require. Managing Director, Christopher North =
managingdirector@amazon.co.uk

They are very good and I know situations that have been protracted have been resolved very quickly in the past for other sellers.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I had 1 message received two days ago about a customer complaint. We've sold 47 of the same product without any issues. Most likely a competitor. Doesn't even say what the complaint was about!
Then another message today about another listing violating a policy. The two in close succession might have triggered the suspension. Either way it's ridiculous.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks everyone i'll keep you posted. The other problem i have is that i've spent a lot of money over the years on my website and google adwords, and it brings in not even 10% of what Amazon and Ebay do. Every search term i type into the Google, Amazon and Ebay are top for.
Apart from spreading my products across multiple Ebay and Amazon marketplaces i'm at a loss for how i can make at least Amazon not as important to me as it is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Thanks everyone i'll keep you posted. The other problem i have is that i've spent a lot of money over the years on my website and google adwords, and it brings in not even 10% of what Amazon and Ebay do. Every search term i type into the Google, Amazon and Ebay are top for.
Apart from spreading my products across multiple Ebay and Amazon marketplaces i'm at a loss for how i can make at least Amazon not as important to me as it is.

What products are you selling?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What products are you selling?
Power related products like chargers and power supplies for laptops, tablets and electronic devices (routers, keyboards,) Basically anything that takes a power supply.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
How would I find your website? You've done adwords but have you invested heavily in SEO? If you don't come up on the first page of google, no one knows were you are.

Why would I buy it from your website and not off Amazon? Amazon I can see competitors pricing and get free 2-day shipping if I have Prime (which I do) for many vendors. I rarely purchase items like this anywhere other than Amazon. I can only think of a few examples that I have a website Favorited that I get cables from instead of Amazon and that's because they're dirt cheap and high quality products and I've zero problems with their customer server (monoprice & newegg).

In the rare event someone stumbles onto your website and makes a purchase, what do you have to keep them coming back? What makes them want to add it to their favorites? Why would they go back there instead of Amazon or some other place that sells power supplies? What's your USP?

You can try some type of rewards/exchange program and email list. If I earned credit towards another purchase that sometimes gets me to come back, which is what I do for my motorcycle parts websites.

We did spend around £600 a month on SEO at one point but the site was draining money so i stopped it. As you explained above there is no reason why you would purchase from my site instead of Amazon. Unfortuntely for me it's that type of product. There's not much in the way of repeat business for this type of product unless of course the item gets lost and they need another one. I have a lifetime warranty, but so do a lot of people. My prices are competitively priced, we have our own brand instead of a generic one. Profit margins are also low £2-3 per sale so google PPC isn't cost effective either. The most i've ever sold on my website is 10 a day, and that was with PPC.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
As you explained above there is no reason why you would purchase from my site instead of Amazon. Unfortuntely for me it's that type of product.

Doesn't sound like there is a big "Need" with this. Maybe it's time for a product that has a bigger need and thereby drives me, the consumer, to buy it from your website and not Amazon (if it even exists on Amazon)? If the need is big enough, I'll forego the warm and fuzzy I get with ordering from Amazon and get it from your independent site instead.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Paul,

sorry to hear, that is my nightmare with Amazon.

I wonder, are your products highly branded (or branded at all) unique to your company. Could it be you were accused of selling counterfeit goods (that gets flagged easily) or instilling brand confusion (for example you sell generic apple charges not made by apple)

Do you use FBA?

I doubt it was something as simple as a listing violation like text in images, etc.

Please keep us updated.

Virus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Sep 6, 2014
UK
You always have to have a backup. never rely on anybody for anything, essentially amazon/ebay are paying peoples pills.

As soon as you build any customer base start your own selling avenue, eg website.

You want to eliminate the middle man wherever possible, to maximize security and also profits.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Power related products like chargers and power supplies for laptops, tablets and electronic devices (routers, keyboards,) Basically anything that takes a power supply.
Oh boy, those basic products are very hard to compete with amazon / well known websites on.. They just have too much trust and community, why would customers want to purchase elsewhere?

Some industries involve a lot of technical information and customers like the tech support - those have a better chance for conversion. But tbh chargers and power supply? Most basic items I doubt anyone would purchase on a new unknown website.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
The customer/consumer always has the upper hand when it comes to ebay and amazon. Treat the customers like gold, and you will still disappoint some.

It must be easier for amazon to just revoke our seller privileges than to investigate something in depth. As sellers we need to watch our every step while the buyer can literally get away with robbery with a simple complaint, whether it be genuine or fabricated.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Doesn't sound like there is a big "Need" with this. Maybe it's time for a product that has a bigger need and thereby drives me, the consumer, to buy it from your website and not Amazon (if it even exists on Amazon)? If the need is big enough, I'll forego the warm and fuzzy I get with ordering from Amazon and get it from your independent site instead.

The need is certainly there. I sell around £500,000 worth of power supplies and Laptop chargers each year. At that's with a lot of competition.
It's unfortunately not a product to get excited about and very difficult to market away from Ebay or Amazon.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thank you, i understand completely now.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Update. Two days now since my account was suspended. Amazon requested further information on steps to prevent customers saying the products were not compatible. Sent it over 24 hours ago. I really felt like typing "That's because they're F*cking idiots and have purchased the wrong one!" but anyway i bit my lip and sent over a long list of steps i will do.

I have sent a further email this morning to amazon seller performance to see if there's anything else i can do blah blah.
Two days income lost far and the waiting continues.......

ND88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Dec 23, 2013
King's Lynn, United Kingdom.
Great news Paul, I'm glad for you! :)

What did you say in your letter to Amazon appealing the decision? It must have been good ;)

Cheers,

Simon

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Well after 8 days of pain, i'm extremely pleased to say that my Amazon account has been reinstated. I've still got no idea what i did wrong but i'm back (for now at least). It will serve as a severe warning to not rely on Amazon, spread your eggs out everybody. It could happen to you.

Hello,

Based on the information provided, your Amazon selling privileges have been reinstated and the hold on the funds in your account has been removed.

This decision is subject to your Plan of Action to comply with our condition guidelines and detail page rules.

For information about our policies, visit the "Policies and Agreements" section of Seller Central Help. Future violations of our policies or a failure to adhere to your Plan of Action may result in the permanent removal of your selling privileges.

Welcome back to selling on Amazon; we wish you the best of luck.

Regards,

Seller Performance Team Amazon Services

Sounds like ignorance on the customer end OR a competitor trying to screw you over, like negative seo in the search engine world. Amazon should do a better job of weeding those out to protect sellers from such cases.

Glad to hear things panned out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.