The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Here's why you should never forget what the C stands for in NECST

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
It's written right there in the book. Black and white. CENTS. For anyone who's got a business that isn't "control" of itself then be worried, very worried, and rectify immediately.

I've just had 60% of my monthly business turnover wiped out with one email. Yes just one. That one email with the heading that simply states: Your Amazon.co.uk selling privileges have been removed. Followed by a standard description of why they've been removed which doesn't make any sense to me. Something to do with listing policies. There is nothing wrong with my listings. Probably a competitor complaint.

Here's what happens next, i submit an appeal, a plan of action as to why this issue won't happen again. Well that's absolutely fantastic considering they haven't really told me what the issue is. Just a pointer to a list of guideline links. So i've spent all morning writing my appeal, i get one chance, one chance only to save 60% of my business from collapsing in one miserable morning. Oh and guess what, the nice guys over at Amazon are going to keep the $15,000 of my money they are currently receiving interest on for 90 days. Just to cover any customer refunds.

So i've submitted my appeal and now the wait begins. It feels like waiting to hear if you've got a terminal illness or not, well maybe not that bad but it could be terminal for my business if this goes the wrong way.
All you people jumping on the importing bandwagon, yes it can be very lucrative but if you're selling solely on Amazon alone you need to start finding other baskets to put your eggs in.

Me? well i'm selling across Amazon Europe, Ebay UK and Amazon USA but all them combined are only around 30% of my business and i've got a website which does about 10%.

At least i might lose some weight whilst i'm waiting for my verdict due to the lack of appetite i have at the moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
It sounds like the message was automated? That's ridiculous if they just pull your account without a human reviewing the complaints. I found this on another website.

1. Copies of your purchase orders, receipts, or invoices for your inventory
2. Your distributor’s or supplier’s contact information (name, phone number, address, etc.)

You have provided 1. that they have asked for. Have you given the contact details in 2.

I know it will have been on the invoices but I would send it again.

If this doesn't work I would get in touch with the Executive Team to ask them for further clarification as to what they require. Managing Director, Christopher North =
managingdirector@amazon.co.uk

They are very good and I know situations that have been protracted have been resolved very quickly in the past for other sellers.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I had 1 message received two days ago about a customer complaint. We've sold 47 of the same product without any issues. Most likely a competitor. Doesn't even say what the complaint was about!
Then another message today about another listing violating a policy. The two in close succession might have triggered the suspension. Either way it's ridiculous.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks David for sharing your story as it relates CONTROL. I feel bad for you as dealing with Amazon on the seller side is a nightmare I'd wish on no one.

I hope you get a favorable outcome, please let us know how it turns.

AG356

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
599%
Apr 19, 2015
Best of luck for your future, hopefully everything will work out fine!

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
I've just had 60% of my monthly business turnover wiped out with one email. Yes just one.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Though, a very mature thought process tying it back into CENTS. That is what's going to make you succeed in the long term while others give up! Keep pushing!

I've taken some notes from TMF , on things that resonate with me and keep them on my desk for quick reference. As I stumble through my own failures/successes with all of this I keep reviewing them, daily. Trying to get into the habit of keeping these things front-of-mind. Here the CENTS notes I keep on my desk:

sjzaUM6.jpg

Keep grinding!

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks everyone i'll keep you posted. The other problem i have is that i've spent a lot of money over the years on my website and google adwords, and it brings in not even 10% of what Amazon and Ebay do. Every search term i type into the Google, Amazon and Ebay are top for.
Apart from spreading my products across multiple Ebay and Amazon marketplaces i'm at a loss for how i can make at least Amazon not as important to me as it is.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good luck man. Try and see the silver lining and come out stronger.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Thanks everyone i'll keep you posted. The other problem i have is that i've spent a lot of money over the years on my website and google adwords, and it brings in not even 10% of what Amazon and Ebay do. Every search term i type into the Google, Amazon and Ebay are top for.
Apart from spreading my products across multiple Ebay and Amazon marketplaces i'm at a loss for how i can make at least Amazon not as important to me as it is.

What products are you selling?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What products are you selling?
Power related products like chargers and power supplies for laptops, tablets and electronic devices (routers, keyboards,) Basically anything that takes a power supply.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Power related products like chargers and power supplies for laptops, tablets and electronic devices (routers, keyboards,) Basically anything that takes a power supply.

How would I find your website? You've done adwords but have you invested heavily in SEO? If you don't come up on the first page of google, no one knows were you are.

Why would I buy it from your website and not off Amazon? Amazon I can see competitors pricing and get free 2-day shipping if I have Prime (which I do) for many vendors. I rarely purchase items like this anywhere other than Amazon. I can only think of a few examples that I have a website Favorited that I get cables from instead of Amazon and that's because they're dirt cheap and high quality products and I've zero problems with their customer server (monoprice & newegg).

In the rare event someone stumbles onto your website and makes a purchase, what do you have to keep them coming back? What makes them want to add it to their favorites? Why would they go back there instead of Amazon or some other place that sells power supplies? What's your USP?

You can try some type of rewards/exchange program and email list. If I earned credit towards another purchase that sometimes gets me to come back, which is what I do for my motorcycle parts websites.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
How would I find your website? You've done adwords but have you invested heavily in SEO? If you don't come up on the first page of google, no one knows were you are.

Why would I buy it from your website and not off Amazon? Amazon I can see competitors pricing and get free 2-day shipping if I have Prime (which I do) for many vendors. I rarely purchase items like this anywhere other than Amazon. I can only think of a few examples that I have a website Favorited that I get cables from instead of Amazon and that's because they're dirt cheap and high quality products and I've zero problems with their customer server (monoprice & newegg).

In the rare event someone stumbles onto your website and makes a purchase, what do you have to keep them coming back? What makes them want to add it to their favorites? Why would they go back there instead of Amazon or some other place that sells power supplies? What's your USP?

You can try some type of rewards/exchange program and email list. If I earned credit towards another purchase that sometimes gets me to come back, which is what I do for my motorcycle parts websites.

We did spend around £600 a month on SEO at one point but the site was draining money so i stopped it. As you explained above there is no reason why you would purchase from my site instead of Amazon. Unfortuntely for me it's that type of product. There's not much in the way of repeat business for this type of product unless of course the item gets lost and they need another one. I have a lifetime warranty, but so do a lot of people. My prices are competitively priced, we have our own brand instead of a generic one. Profit margins are also low £2-3 per sale so google PPC isn't cost effective either. The most i've ever sold on my website is 10 a day, and that was with PPC.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I remember your other thread a few days ago. Maybe you should take this as a sign to let that business fade out. Get your account up and running, then outsource as much as possible and focus your energy and the profits from this business on building a new business that isnt a commodity, because even if you have your own brand, power supplies surely are a commodity that dont allow for much creative marketing.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014
As you explained above there is no reason why you would purchase from my site instead of Amazon. Unfortuntely for me it's that type of product.

Doesn't sound like there is a big "Need" with this. Maybe it's time for a product that has a bigger need and thereby drives me, the consumer, to buy it from your website and not Amazon (if it even exists on Amazon)? If the need is big enough, I'll forego the warm and fuzzy I get with ordering from Amazon and get it from your independent site instead.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
Paul,

sorry to hear, that is my nightmare with Amazon.

I wonder, are your products highly branded (or branded at all) unique to your company. Could it be you were accused of selling counterfeit goods (that gets flagged easily) or instilling brand confusion (for example you sell generic apple charges not made by apple)

Do you use FBA?

I doubt it was something as simple as a listing violation like text in images, etc.

Please keep us updated.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Another thing. I actually had an Adwords client until a few months ago, who was in exactly the same situation. He sold LED lightbulbs, had his own brand imported from china and warehouse full of stuff. Good pricing, good product quality, etc, He sold 6 figures monthly on amazon, but we couldnt make it work on Adwords, despite trying everything. He even had good organic rankings on top of that. But like others here mentioned, people werent even clicking the ads/organic listings, because they either went straight to amazon and searched there, or they clicked the amazon results on google. So from my experience, and yours too apparently, you cant really place your hopes for sales channel diversification on ppc/seo.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
A few years ago I helped a friend with eBay sales. We made thank you cards with a link to his webstore and a discount code for 20% off any order. Worked out pretty good. He sold removable drives.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The best diversification for United States sellers is if you can take the @Likwid24 path and get into traditional retail distribution. Hard to do on a commoditized product, though.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Paul,

My Amazon business is beginning to reach significant profits. In the back of my mind I always fear this happening. I do have another business that I am running which is 100% in my control. I go after Amazon with the attitude of making as much money as fast as possible for as long as I can. Eventually, my other business will grow to the point of not needing the online sales. I am only now considering leaving my slowlane job now that I have two streams of income.

Good luck. Please let us know if you get this resolved, so we can learn how to handle this in the future.

Virus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Sep 6, 2014
UK
You always have to have a backup. never rely on anybody for anything, essentially amazon/ebay are paying peoples pills.

As soon as you build any customer base start your own selling avenue, eg website.

You want to eliminate the middle man wherever possible, to maximize security and also profits.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If Amazon decided tomorrow to change their business model, it could be armageddon for marketplace sellers.

And they could.

It happened once in their history already due to a non-favorable tax situation with Minnesota.

Overnight, they terminated their affiliate relationships with everyone in Minnesota.

You're one executive decision away from zero Amazon sales.

Diversify.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
Oh boy, those basic products are very hard to compete with amazon / well known websites on.. They just have too much trust and community, why would customers want to purchase elsewhere?

Some industries involve a lot of technical information and customers like the tech support - those have a better chance for conversion. But tbh chargers and power supply? Most basic items I doubt anyone would purchase on a new unknown website.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Not that this is happening in your case, but I don't think that Amazon would be beyond knocking out a product line that maybe competes directly with an Amazon product line, or even a strong vendor partnership with Amazon.

Meanwhile, I am sure you can get reinstated once you can isolate the issue.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Thanks for all the input everyone. I sincerely appreciate your time to provide me with your opinions and advice.

I have received a further email from Amazon stating that they had received customer complaints regarding compatibility issues with products. However the customer complaint regarding a product 2 days ago is for an item that is one our best sellers and i know the product is compatible with the model in the title. Low and behold another seller is now listed against that product. I've sold 47 of the same product on Ebay without issues. Something fishy going on with that.

All it takes is a couple of "customers" to complain and that automatically triggers something with Amazon who immediately take the customers side before the sellers. Nothing new there. It's relatively easy to wipe out a competitor on Amazon. One of my competitors in the USA vanished from Amazon the other day. Their 30 day feedback was around 2500 a month so they were doing some serious volume. Haven't been able to find out whether they've been suspended but they are still selling on the Amazon.ca site.

Amazon have requested further information on the steps i will be take in order to prevent these type of issues occurring again and i have now sent that over. Back to waiting again. I've got $25,000 a month in sales currently riding on this.
Either way i will now be looking into other avenues as i or anyone else simply cannot work on a business for years and it can all be gone with a touch of a button.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
The customer/consumer always has the upper hand when it comes to ebay and amazon. Treat the customers like gold, and you will still disappoint some.

It must be easier for amazon to just revoke our seller privileges than to investigate something in depth. As sellers we need to watch our every step while the buyer can literally get away with robbery with a simple complaint, whether it be genuine or fabricated.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Sounds like there's a need for a marketplace that gets lots of traffic that businesses can use with one minor change ; your store isn't removed until a more thorough review.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.