The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

HELP?!?! My Kickstarter Campaign Was Successful By Over 300%. What Should I Do Next???

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
I created a beauty patent pending product (CWK Straight Plates) and launched a Kickstarter campaign over a month ago. I asked for $8K and the campaigned ended with over $24K. At this point, I am in desperate need of advice on what steps to take NEXT with my product. Here is the quick run down of the last year:

• I sketched out my product...
  • I found a manufacturer on Alibaba and had him to sign a NDA
  • The manufacturer did an excellent job with coming up with my prototype
  • I started a Kickstarter campaign to raise $8000 for tooling and production (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855194586/cwk-straight-plates-straighten-hair-without-heat)
  • My campaign ended with donations over $24,000
  • I am SUPER confused one what I should spending the next few weeks working on...YIKES. NOW I AM TRYING TO COME UP WITH THE MOST STRATEGIC BUSINESS MODEL AND I NEED YOUR HELP....PLEASE.

I plan on creating a website this week that will allow me to take pre-orders until the next shipment is in (November). I am all game for packing boxes in the garage and making trips to the post office, but I would like to come up with a strategic plan that will allow me to maximize on profit that will help me build my brand. Any advice that you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

CWK Straight Plates Kickstarter Campaign:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855194586/cwk-straight-plates-straighten-hair-without-heat

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jacob montemayor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 4, 2014
Baguio City
wow!

i think a congratulation is in order!

i may not give a great strategic plan right now, but one thing i've learned from this forum is: "create a viable system and then automate it"

good luck and best wishes!

mgore714

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 3, 2012
Right now just concentrate on getting the product delivered.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Negotiate a lower price from the manufacturer -- because of higher quantity.
2. Design packaging.
3. Order packaging -- manufacturer might do this.
4. Find an import agent if your shipment is coming by sea.

Once that's out of the way, then you can start considering doing other things. But until then nothing else should take priority.

Also, you don't need to go to the post office. You can schedule a pickup: https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action. My post office was really bad at coming at first, however, once I spoke with a manager, she made sure that they showed up and picked up my packages. When you have 50+ you're shipping a day then the pickup becomes tremendously helpful. Once you scale, then you can get a warehouse to do this.

Also, other shipping options once you're ready to automate are fulfillment centers. I recommend http://shipwire.com.

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
Right now just concentrate on getting the product delivered.

Here's what I'd do:

1. Negotiate a lower price from the manufacturer -- because of higher quantity.
2. Design packaging.
3. Order packaging -- manufacturer might do this.
4. Find an import agent if your shipment is coming by sea.

Once that's out of the way, then you can start considering doing other things. But until then nothing else should take priority.

Also, you don't need to go to the post office. You can schedule a pickup: https://tools.usps.com/go/ScheduleAPickupAction!input.action. My post office was really bad at coming at first, however, once I spoke with a manager, she made sure that they showed up and picked up my packages. When you have 50+ you're shipping a day then the pickup becomes tremendously helpful. Once you scale, then you can get a warehouse to do this.

Also, other shipping options once you're ready to automate are fulfillment centers. I recommend http://shipwire.com.

Wow, thanks for the input. I didn't know that they would come to my house to pick up the packages. I am definitely going to look into this. Thanks a million!!!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would do what you planned to do with the $8,000 you asked for. Didn't you have a plan in place before you asked for the money? And those aren't donations that you received from kickstarter people.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Congratz.

Get your product description, a barcode and your labelling designed.

Elance.com, 99designs.com (not sure where you get barcode from, but you can research that).

Order your first shipment (bulk order) and make sure they use your labeling/packing with your barcode and all.

Get a website up and running + funnel (email series with tips & soft selling).

http://www.digitalmarketer.com/how-to-calculate-average-customer-value-funnel/
http://www.digitalmarketer.com/customer-value-optimization/
http://snoobdesigns.com/

Work out what price to charge people (link above touches on that).

Create a fanpage on facebook, make a post and promote that post to your demographic/target market.

Once you have some figures together like what the avg. customer is worth to you, then you can look at contacting a CPA company and letting affiliates promote your product for you and you just pay $5 to get them into the funnel or what ever (SCALE).

Very excited for you, I wish you the best of luck.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Sounds like you need to find a few people in your network who have built a business and take them to a nice lunch and then a nice dinner.

You need to find a few books on business accounting / finance, on business management, and maybe on philosophy (like the Good to Great series). Read Gerber's Emyth revisited.

Sit down with a pad and pencil or at a dry erase board and sketch out the entire company in 15 years. Organization, departments, groups, strategic partners, etc. Put in blocks for things you don't know. This is just a way to expand your thinking.

Then...... revisit the plan you had for the $8k. Expand it to use $16k with an $8k buffer for the unknown. Then begin to execute and delegate to get this done. Do not overpromise. Thank and then over deliver.

Your idea has been validated. Now go make it happen. And go get all the advice, books, knowledge you need to make decisions to make it happen.

Once the list is made, begin to execute the plan.

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
I would do what you planned to do with the $8,000 you asked for. Didn't you have a plan in place before you asked for the money? And those aren't donations that you received from kickstarter people.

Ooooh, I guess I left this part out of my post. My number one priority is to get the orders delivered. I have already designed the packaging, I ordered the molds three weeks before the campaign was over and I have sent the manufacture my production details for the first run :). I am great on that side, I was seeking advice on what to do next while I was waiting on the shipment to come in. I still have so many people contacting me wanting to know how tgey can order. I am just looking for ideas for phase ii of this project. Thanks for any input you can provide. Take care!

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
Congratz.

Get your product description, a barcode and your labelling designed.

Elance.com, 99designs.com (not sure where you get barcode from, but you can research that).

Order your first shipment (bulk order) and make sure they use your labeling/packing with your barcode and all.

Get a website up and running + funnel (email series with tips & soft selling).

http://www.digitalmarketer.com/how-to-calculate-average-customer-value-funnel/
http://www.digitalmarketer.com/customer-value-optimization/
http://snoobdesigns.com/

Work out what price to charge people (link above touches on that).

Create a fanpage on facebook, make a post and promote that post to your demographic/target market.

Once you have some figures together like what the avg. customer is worth to you, then you can look at contacting a CPA company and letting affiliates promote your product for you and you just pay $5 to get them into the funnel or what ever (SCALE).

Very excited for you, I wish you the best of luck.

Excellent advice!!! I will look into these sites today. Thanks a million!!

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
I am printing your response n
Sounds like you need to find a few people in your network who have built a business and take them to a nice lunch and then a nice dinner.

You need to find a few books on business accounting / finance, on business management, and maybe on philosophy (like the Good to Great series). Read Gerber's Emyth revisited.

Sit down with a pad and pencil or at a dry erase board and sketch out the entire company in 15 years. Organization, departments, groups, strategic partners, etc. Put in blocks for things you don't know. This is just a way to expand your thinking.

Then...... revisit the plan you had for the $8k. Expand it to use $16k with an $8k buffer for the unknown. Then begin to execute and delegate to get this done. Do not overpromise. Thank and then over deliver.

Your idea has been validated. Now go make it happen. And go get all the advice, books, knowledge you need to make decisions to make it happen.

Once the list is made, begin to execute the plan.

I am printing your response now !!! I appreciate you taking the time to reply and give such great advice! I am out if town this week, but I am going to take your advice and head to Barnes and Noble today to see what I can find in this area. I also have my notebook, so I will find some quiet time to work today. Thanks a million!

Kelechi Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 19, 2014
Don't think of that money as donations.
You need to find a way to fulfill those orders with that money. That is priority #1.

Ooooh, I guess I left this part out of my post. My number one priority is to get the orders delivered. I have already designed the packaging, I ordered the molds three weeks before the campaign was over and I have sent the manufacture my production details for the first run :). I am great on that side, I was seeking advice on what to do next while I was waiting on the shipment to come in. I still have so many people contacting me wanting to know how tgey can order. I am just looking for ideas for phase ii of this project. Thanks for any input you can provide. Take care!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Focus on building your platform and brand...

1) Website with cart/order taking functionality
2) Credit card merchant account
3) Maybe a name brainstorm ... not sure "CWK Straight Plates" is very brandable.

You need to be able to accept pre-orders.

Also, focus on perfecting the product -- make sure the prototype works!

1) Prototype
2) Packaging
3) Labeling / Bar codes etc/

Finally, shipping ...

If you plan on shipping yourself, you will need software that labels. I use Endicia. Other's have recommended services as well.

First order of business is to get your product into the hands of those who supported you.

Perhaps @bensonj can chime in -- she's in the middle of building a hair care business and perhaps you two can joint venture or create some type of synergy.

And finally, CONGRATULATIONS. Very exciting to have a product that people want and demand. :hurray:

Charis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jun 9, 2014
Texas
Great stuff, nicely done.
You may also want to look into leveraging platforms like Amazon for fulfillment and associates to sell your product for you.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
1) Website with cart/order taking functionality
2) Credit card merchant account
3) Maybe a name brainstorm ... not sure "CWK Straight Plates" is very brandable.

I'll make this even easier for you.
1.) sign up for shopify $14/month plan for now. Take preorders.
http://www.shopify.com/starter
http://docs.shopify.com/manual/conf...product-page/can-customers-pre-order-products

2.) A merchant account included above with shopify. You can swap this later as you scale to larger plans or different merchant account.

3.) Find an available brandable domain. (airstraight.com is available, pretty solid IMO). Point to shopify.
http://www.leandomainsearch.com/search?q=straight

3a.) Get a logo made on 99designs or elance.

4.) Figure out manufacturing/logistics.

5.) Profit.

bensonj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Jul 2, 2013
@Kelechi Bradley congrats on your Kickstarter success!

Everyone here has given you great advice! Take it :)

What I use:
Shopify
Shipstation (which is hands down the BEST shipping solution anywhere)

@Milkanic airstraight is a GREAT name

If I have anything to add - I would say get those kickstarter orders out ON TIME, as ordered, in the best packaging you can…these are your babies. They will be the first representation of YOU...When I started shipping - I thought about what I wanted the customer to experience when they opened the envelope - that helped me design my packaging. For the first 100 orders I wrote a handwritten note and actually told them what # they were receiving. The customers wrote back telling me how special they felt. I just recently stopped writing notes because it's too much - but I now do a printed note and I'm still thanking them by name handwritten.

Go overboard on your customer service - if someone is not happy MAKE THEM HAPPY - we haven't had any bad reviews on the product since we started shipping in January and I contribute much of this to our service.

Your product looks like it works - it's shown it will sell…get the look together (logo, packaging) get your house and logistics together (where you are going to sell it - how you are going to ship it) then take care of each and every one (customer) like they are your last one and in my opinion you'll succeed.

Also, don't fall into a lot of online marketing traps (trust me it's easy to do) - get it social as quickly as possible - get people talking about it…contact you tubers and bloggers with large audiences…get active on instagram (you may already be - I've not checked)

@Charis is right - I was challenged to get on Amazon a couple of months ago - didn't think I could do it - but it was actually very easy - set up an account - and set your inventory low. I started only listing 5 units at a time - and they started selling in just 4 days. Amazon is something you should be thinking about when you get all of the other components in place but wait to long - it's a great channel.

Above All - it's great to get advice - BUT TRUST YOUR GUT!!

Feel free to inbox me if you'd like - I'm in the middle of a ton of stuff - but I'll help if I can.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Awesome man. So stoked for you.

Aside from that I have nothing to add. You're obviously doing it right so enjoy the ride!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.