The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me with a major decision!

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
Hey,

I got a major decision to make, and thought I could get some helpful advice here.

Where I stand right now:
I am 19 years old and living in Sweden. Currently working on getting an ecommerce business off the ground with my business partner, which I have done for almost a year now, with struggles. I am confident it will be successful, as soon it will get some traction -> investment and then start scaling it to other countries and so forth.

However I did now get an opportunity to move and work in the Philippines.
The upside would be:
Experience. From helping my stepfather and an entrepreneur from Dubai expanding their business to the Philippines (which I will be responsible for).
Warmer climate/Motivation
Get better at the English language
Earn money to use for capital for business - which I need for some ideas I want to execute, but can't because of lack of funds
Cut loose and don't live with my parents
Push myself out of my comfort zone

Downside:
Not be able to focus as much on the startup for a few months (I can move back and focus on it 100% when it starts to take off)

So should I go or stay?

P.S If anyone here lives in the Philippines or have lived there, please tell me some useful information about the life there as well as the "business atmosphere" :)

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
Thanks for your answers.

Yes it is indeed a good opportunity. I still somehow have some hesitation.
I just feel I need to get stuff happening, and this could be my stepping stone.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
I studied abroad at age 21...it was the best experience of my life.

It would be wise to expand your mind and get life experience.You never know, you may even make some international connections along the way that could serve you well in future business endeavors.

Go for it.

dnice

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Apr 28, 2011
Sounds like a great opportunity to have international experience. That area of the world is still expanding, especially Singapore. Maybe you should use MJ's Weighted Average Decision Matrix to help you decide whether or not to take the opportunity.

RichD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jun 3, 2011
Illinois
I'd have to know more, but off the bat:

The good thing is that you are doing e-commerce. As long as you have a computer with internet and a phone you can run it from anywhere.

However, what I'm hearing is that you are considering disrupting your current focus and control of an enterprise of your own that you are confident will succeed in order to go work for someone else.

You have to weigh the cost of disrupting the momentum of what is happening for you now vs. some perceived benefit (moving, learning better english, business experience, climate, etc) that may or may not wind up being of real value to you later on.

I would suggest you spend time asap doing a Pro/Cons and Cost/Benefit analysis to really determine what you want to do and if what you want to do actually has/will have enough value to someone to pay you for.

All the best,

Rich

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
Trent I don't doubt it, I can only imagine how nice it must be :) Where did you go?

dnice Forgot about the WADM. Thanks for reminding me, will do it asap.

RichD You're right, I left out quite much info.. Yes, that's a great thing with the business. That I am not tied to a specific location. I can do all of my work through the phone/internet and whenever necessary take a trip back as you said.

The thing is, lately much haven't happened, so that's one of the reasons why I am going as well. Much because now our web developer is building the web shop, so right now there isn't much work to do for me.

My work in the Philippines will be quite flexible though, and I will have some benefits as one of my bosses will be my stepfather. So I am sure I can spend quite a lot time on the startup as well, maybe not 20 hours a day. But maybe 5-10h on a daily basis and 20 hours on weekends.

Thanks for a constructive answer.

lifejuice

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 6, 2011
Once my mentor told me that Business opportunity just like a bus, there is always NEXT One.

So, don't get too excited~

Bases on what you just said, if I were you, I would start packing and giving myself a list of specific goals to attend while you were in Philippines. This is sooooo critical, because the reason to accept this offer is for the experiences (if you really need it) and some cash for your start-up.

I moved to China from New Zealand last year to launch a business with a group of local friends and I found it is very different doing business in Asia than in Developed countries. You will certainly enjoy the ride.

Ask yourself, do you really need to be presence to launch the eCommerce business?

Don't forget to get VPN services setup before you leave your country. I found that in Developing country like China, they always block international traffic.

Good luck and all the best~

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Use the WADM and please tell us what it reveals! It is a personal question that truly only you will know!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.