The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have I Discovered a Sleeping Dinosaur or the Loch Ness Monster?

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
So over Thanksgiving I was doing some Christmas shopping, and had something in particular I wanted to get my eight year old daughter. I knew what I wanted existed, as they existed when I was her age, but I assumed they had been innovated upon n the 27 years since.

Guess what? They haven't. If I got her what was available to actually purchase (and I've checked every big box manufactruer both online and off I can think of), she would give it one look and assume it was for her three year old sister simply based on design and color scheme. I first just can't believe nobody had thought of what I wanted, and then realized...I might be onto something. That said, my experience in this sort of thing is non-existent, and I find myself wishing I knew someone with the experience and knowledge to tell me either "You're onto something..." or "This likely won't go far, and here's why..."

At the same time, I don't want to just blab the idea to a stranger on the net, as I really believe the idea has some major potential, though I'm not sure about patentability (it's basically a visual overhaul of something that's been around for decades).

Any suggestions as to how to find someone reputable and trustworthy, who will give me the straight scoop without having interest in poaching my idea?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

PM me and I'll take a peek at It and offer some advice.

I'm not really into the business of toys.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
Time to call in the sharks.

But seriously, best of luck with the idea. Just need to ask the good old what value will your updated version offer and why would people buy it?

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
So over Thanksgiving I was doing some Christmas shopping, and had something in particular I wanted to get my eight year old daughter. I knew what I wanted existed, as they existed when I was her age, but I assumed they had been innovated upon n the 27 years since.

Guess what? They haven't. If I got her what was available to actually purchase (and I've checked every big box manufactruer both online and off I can think of), she would give it one look and assume it was for her three year old sister simply based on design and color scheme. I first just can't believe nobody had thought of what I wanted, and then realized...I might be onto something. That said, my experience in this sort of thing is non-existent, and I find myself wishing I knew someone with the experience and knowledge to tell me either "You're onto something..." or "This likely won't go far, and here's why..."

At the same time, I don't want to just blab the idea to a stranger on the net, as I really believe the idea has some major potential, though I'm not sure about patentability (it's basically a visual overhaul of something that's been around for decades).

Any suggestions as to how to find someone reputable and trustworthy, who will give me the straight scoop without having interest in poaching my idea?
If all you are looking for is a comment or advice from a confident then unfortunately your opportunities will be limited to you close circle of friends. Anyone further afield will probably fall into the category of possibly untrustworthy.

A key aspect of a lean startup is evaluating the market before building a product, and then when you are ready to go market, do so with a minimum viable product first. Another issue is the barrier to market, if there is no barrier and the product proves popular then is could be copied easily.

At some point therefore you will have to let you ideal out, either to test the market or for actual product launch. If the product can be easily copied then you it might not be great ideal. However, if you can protect the ideal either through IP or branding then it might work out

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Remember that an idea is nothing without execution. The likelihood that someone is going to steal your idea and take it to market is close to zero.

Ask yourself a couple of things:

Are you hindering yourself by not getting critical feedback?
Could this be the first step you need to take to accomplish your goal?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
Actually it's funny you mention that. Earlier this week I contacted a former coworker of mine who I trust pretty implicitly who is experienced in 3D modeling, design, and carpentry, as I wanted to see if he would be interested in doing some 3D mockups for me. As it turns out, he is pretty much my target market to a tee, which I had no idea he was. He's given me some really good, contsructively critical feedback that has been absolutely invaluable, and moved the whole concept into a much more innovative (though just as doable) direction. I still think my original concept has value, there is little innovation to it aside from visuals/aesthetics, whereas his idea is something unique and likely patentable (not to mention Kickstarter friendly). It might be nothing, but then again, it might be a lot more than nothing.

It's funny how things work out like that.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.