The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing a pair

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Hello All, I've been reading away in here. This place is a gold mine for business info. My entrepreneur juices are flowing. I'm certain my road to the fastlane starts with hands on building a reno/framing business of my own.I can do all sorts of carpentry. It's the only way I could possibly generate enough income to be a player in any way shape or form. As I'm sure everyone who made it has felt. I'm petrified to commit to it. The thought of what could be a great success sometimes sucks the life out of me at my day job. and I put the thoughts back on the shelf to collect dust. so I can concentrate on not getting fired.

How do you guys who are in my shoes or have been, Deal with the busy family man trying to make it as a business man and keeping focused without a divorce or getting canned at your day job?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
As a former carpenter myself, I think you have to think waaay outside the box eh. Years ago when I lived in your great country (as a young buck) I befriended an old timer millionaire business man from Calgary Alberta. His advice to me was to "discard that nailbag and hammer and to use your head instead. Anyone worth their sauce uses their head not their hands. Anyone who uses any part of their body from the chin down is totally disposable" Construction is difficult to scale into fastlane due to YOUR need to be there all the time.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
How do you guys who are in my shoes or have been, Deal with the busy family man trying to make it as a business man and keeping focused without a divorce or getting canned at your day job?

I read so much mental-masturbation on this forum recently, I'm almost tired of it. People just want a feel-good advice...

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
As a former carpenter myself, I think you have to think waaay outside the box eh. Years ago when I lived in your great country (as a young buck) I befriended an old timer millionaire business man from Calgary Alberta. His advice to me was to "discard that nailbag and hammer and to use your head instead. Anyone worth their sauce uses their head not their hands. Anyone who uses any part of their body from the chin down is totally disposable" Construction is difficult to scale into fastlane due to YOUR need to be there all the time.
Thanks for the advice, Way outside the box could possibly mean me stuck searching for product ideas for months or even years." 0 cashflow ideas" seems like a tall order. By no means am I disagreeing with you.It's just I'm a tangible, if you want to play, you gotta pay kinda guy. I've built decks quoted at $16000-$20000 Maybe 5k in material and 2k in labour. MY LABOUR! I'll post a pic of one we did two summers ago on top of a 10 story building.

Attachments

• cover work.jpg
    cover work.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 58

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I read so much mental-masturbation on this forum recently, I'm almost tired of it. People just want a feel-good advice...
one child, 2 dogs,2 cats,mortgage,car payment, and all associated bills. a hot wife who likes to spend. My Gamble is real. And people who are quick to throw low blows needs to spend 3 days working with me. Offers up I'll pm you a jobsite where you can learn to appreciate the (Little guy with big dreams)

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014

Where did he ask for feel good advice? Fear is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. I guess you're just having a bad day? Why else would you feel the need to belittle someone who is just seeking a little motivation?

OP, if your wife isn't onboard it will make your journey even more difficult. Talk to her before you do anything.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

one child, 2 dogs,2 cats,mortgage,car payment, and all associated bills. a hot wife who likes to spend. My Gamble is real. And people who are quick to throw low blows needs to spend 3 days working with me. Offers up I'll pm you a jobsite where you can learn to appreciate the (Little guy with big dreams)

Where did he ask for feel good advice? Fear is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome. I guess you're just having a bad day? Why else would you feel the need to belittle someone who is just seeking a little motivation?

Because it is another "make my life decisions for me" question.

Read this:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-cant-make-your-life-decisions-for-you.33485/

But I understand your shock because this is not a "nice-guy" and compassionate advice - which is very usual these days.
Ask better questions, more action-based and specific because honestly I don't know how to deal with your wife. :tiphat:

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Thanks for the advice, Way outside the box could possibly mean me stuck searching for product ideas for months or even years." 0 cashflow ideas" seems like a tall order. By no means am I disagreeing with you.It's just I'm a tangible, if you want to play, you gotta pay kinda guy. I've built decks quoted at $16000-$20000 Maybe 5k in material and 2k in labour. MY LABOUR! I'll post a pic of one we did two summers ago on top of a 10 story building.
Hi Shdreams........"Out side the box" in the context that I'm referring to here, is simply thinking in terms of fastlane applications and processes. Your time is and will always be your most valuable commodity. Separate you time from the physical work. Your noted skill can be taught to others. How you use that 24 hours is your choice and only your choice but I had been trying to scale construction but decided against it as your clients suck your time and you end up doing 16 hour days.......Anyway I hope that helps a bit...and good luck.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Hi Shdreams........"Out side the box" in the context that I'm referring to here, is simply thinking in terms of fastlane applications and processes. Your time is and will always be your most valuable commodity. Separate you time from the physical work. Your noted skill can be taught to others. How you use that 24 hours is your choice and only your choice but I had been trying to scale construction but decided against it as your clients suck your time and you end up doing 16 hour days.......Anyway I hope that helps a bit...and good luck.
I can't get the book fast enough. And Ty for your input man. Greatly appreciated.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
Because it is another "make my life decisions for me" question.

Read this:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-cant-make-your-life-decisions-for-you.33485/

But I understand your shock because this is not a "nice-guy" and compassionate advice - which is very usual these days.
Ask better questions, more action-based and specific because honestly I don't know how to deal with your wife. :tiphat:

Good luck.
People such as yourself have been my Biggest battle in this computer generated society called the Interweb. My offer stands! And is real. Ottawa Ontario. 3 days framing 4 story towns.....? I'll save you the hassle. If I go lean against my father in-laws 2010 911 carrera and post that profile pick will you show me some respect? You my friend are clearly dealing with some sort of "man card" complex.

I didn't realize getting your foot in the door of this forum would such a PITA. But I'm Assuming in a more social setting there wouldn't be so much chirping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
In-case your about to call my bluff...... I'll also save you the time..... I also drove it ;)

Attachments

• pappous porsche.jpg
    pappous porsche.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 59

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think you need to put your tools down to get started. I still use mine in apartment rehabs. My crew does most of the work and I just get out on occasion to do some of the tough stuff and help get over some of the humps.

It sounds to me like your goal is to stay in the business and build a successful construction company. Is this correct? If so, this is the easy way. It is also the self-limiting way. But, it will allow you to make more money and build wealth over time. Not exactly fastlane though. It could be fastlane if you could come up with a service or product that could scale into a large operation or solve a need in the industry.

You do need to figure out how to take the next step without blowing everything up. It is not easy or everyone would do it. Just the idea of going out on your own is a large commitment.

My first business attempt was at the age of 20. I was already married and had a child. I started a landscape installation business. It was tough. My wife did not work and I was the sole bread winner. I had to get jobs quickly and keep the funds rolling in. I gave up after 7 months in favor of a job at a high-tech company. It was tough to do. I had to work a lot of hours for free while trying to get started. I went to new developments and knocked door-to-door offering free plans for people to hear me out.

I made enough money to get by and probably could have survived had I not decided to bail on it. It was a learning experience though.

Landscaping would have never made me super-rich. What could have made me money though would have been solving a need in landscaping. A product as simple as the little flags that are used as markers for where sprinkler head or plants are going to go. Or as complex as the laser levels that allow you to set grades simply. Flex-tubing for gas lines that cut the time for installation by 90% and took the problem of line disintegration out of the picture.

There are people on this forum that have come up with simple fixes for industry problems.

You have lots of options on what to do. You are correct that there are challenges in the way for you to get started.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I'm always short on time,I'm able to be on here today because it's my birthday. And I may have broke my hand on thursday. I took an extra day before I go back to the grind.Theres No sense in getting a cast if I keep using it.. I wanted to write a quick message to break the ice with what I Assume is business oriented people. I didn't put a large amount of thought into the question being action oriented.
I constantly have idea's to improve my trade. I have an Idea for a tin roof system I'm pretty damn sure is genius. I have a ton of them.
It sounds to me like your goal is to stay in the business and build a successful construction company. Is this correct?
I want to own real estate. Do the landlord thing. Flip houses. And Fund my ideas.

I can't talk about it to the family,friends and even the wife. They think I'm nuts!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
They think I'm nuts!
You probably are! ;) At least in the eyes of the masses.

I own a bit of real estate. Many people that I know tried to talk me out of the business or told me that I was making mistake trying to get into that volatile business. There is a steep learning curve but it is very worthwhile in my opinion. It took me three years to quit my job and semi-retire when I started. I did not work more than a few hours a week for about 12 years.

It is worthwhile....

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
@Shdreams .... @SteveO is spot on.

Thinking off the top of my head:
You have ideas...that's great ! Pic one...you don't have to start with a giant, complex, expensive idea to be successful. Pretty much whatever you don't know how to do is somewhere in this Forum.
YOU know your trade. What sucks ? What tools or processes suck ? Make them better.

ie: The guy who installed my granite counter tops realized it sucked, and was risky, to screw in dishwashers directly into the underside of the counter. It was also very time consuming. He made a simple metal piece that attaches to the underside of the granite (adhesive I believe) that the dishwasher screws into. Saves time (money), lowers the risk of cracking the stone. Licensing deal...fat check + royalties.

Of course you have to make time to do these things and I understand it's tough. That's ok. Can you hire someone to help cut just a little of your on-the-job time ? Less money but more time to pursue something worth while. Have you tried, or have you wanted to expand your business ?

Harestock09

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Sep 22, 2014
Hello All, I've been reading away in here. This place is a gold mine for business info. My entrepreneur juices are flowing. I'm certain my road to the fastlane starts with hands on building a reno/framing business of my own.I can do all sorts of carpentry. It's the only way I could possibly generate enough income to be a player in any way shape or form. As I'm sure everyone who made it has felt. I'm petrified to commit to it. The thought of what could be a great success sometimes sucks the life out of me at my day job. and I put the thoughts back on the shelf to collect dust. so I can concentrate on not getting fired.

I once read that with regard to quitting and starting out with your own business, "there is nothing as de-motivating as a steady income".

Plan well, focus on what you KNOW you need to do, talk to people smarter than you, execute.

David

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
He made a simple metal piece that attaches to the underside of the granite (adhesive I believe) that the dishwasher screws into. Saves time (money), lowers the risk of cracking the stone. Licensing deal...fat check + royalties.
PL Premium and an L bracket Been there done that. And ya great example. So simple, But my mind is blown. I'm picking up what you guys are throwing down. And genuinely Appreciate the info.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
That's ok. Can you hire someone to help cut just a little of your on-the-job time ? Less money but more time to pursue something worth while. Have you tried, or have you wanted to expand your business ?
I work For a fairly Large framing company. I'm somewhere between Lead hand and go to guy for info. I have a business number For when I do take on the odd side project. Really step one is in my hands, And I'll save the talking for when I take that step. For now I'lI absorb the info in this forum while I wait to get the Book.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
No big trick to it.

Grind
Don't give in

Its gonna frustrate you, knock you down, its a good thing, cuz over those years if you don't let it screw you over, you can become more

No garuntees though man

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Can you take what you know as far as "tips and tricks" like the l bracket idea and sell a video course on Udemy or similar site?

Call it carpentry 101 and sell on Udemy for like $99 a course.

My dad is a master carpenter.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Sorry OP!..I was assuming you had read the book man. That would explain some of your earlier antics. Just saying ok, no disrespect meant, you are among friends in here....Once you read the book it will all come together in an instant in your own head...Rogue crafted it very well.
No big trick to it.

Grind
Don't give in
No garuntees though man

If you adapt your mindset and generate the life of your dreams in the fastlane sense, then materialistic consumables and status symbols probably won't mean much to you. What will be important to you will be the ability to know that whatever goes wrong that can be fixed with hard cash ( almost everything) can be solved at any time with a 60 second phone call......Now that is some power to have my friend thats generally restricted to 3-5% of the global population....Doesn't that exite you Shdreams ....If it doesn't it should......But if by chance it does not you know you are probably not cut out for it ......To your success....

Regards
Timmy

Last edited:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Fear is something that you will continue to fight throughout your entire life (and business life). I always get a little fear in me at this time of year. I import and resell online and this time of year I start to really increase my product on hand. I go from having a few thousand dollars of product on hand to having tens of thousands (pushing 40k right now). By the first of November I will be close to 100k of product in storage ready to sell over Christmas. Fear isn't a bad thing. It can motivate you to do things or keep you from doing them. You have to decide if fear will motivate you or hold you back. Only YOU can make that decision.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Fear is something that you will continue to fight throughout your entire life
Good input although I do not agree with the fear part. Fear is something that you should be working on personally to overcome. It should not have a stronghold on your life.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Good input although I do not agree with the fear part. Fear is something that you should be working on personally to overcome.

I think its poignant.

When we start our journey, the most important thing to NOT turn away from is our fears.

That sense of fear is one of your only true allies.
As all others turn you away, it'll force you to rise up.

And as a man of character, the moment you can "escape/overcome" that fear, you shouldn't.
Because if you hold on, if you keep going, if you change who YOU are to match that fear, and if you do not let it twist you.

You can reach so much further in life. Not just become rich in others eyes.
But find a level of peace, you can't find by escaping away with a nestegg.

Back in the old roman empire it was said, that wars purpose was to escape an even more terrifying peace.
The point being, that people desire change, and they fear it.

Now war is stupid. But fear...
Fear is not stupid.

Fear for those you love.
Fear for the future.
Fear for what mistakes we are making by just sitting here.

These fears turn "terrible" silences, into beautiful moments.
Bring you closer to your humanity.
And if you face it right, make you a truly good man for others and yourself.

Fear is the only escape, for a mind so lost that it seeks only an escape.
For in fear is where you find courage.
In fear you find the uncomfortable test.
And in those tests you find the remarkeable choices you make.
And are astounded by the man you can become.

Fear isn't the enemy.
Its apathy.

We only THINK it is the fear, because as it drives us out of our comfort, we squeel.
We act weak, lash out, grab onto fear as it helps us and we BLAME IT.

You have to be above PETTINESS with your fear.
Understand its place.
And with it, eradicate your subconscious undercurrents of apathy and mistrust in yourself.

Cuz fear, if you face it, shines light on the character inside you.

"war reveals genius in a man, peace conceals it"
Screw war...

But understand, all the courage that has ever inspired mankind, all the genius that has ever progressed our species... Has been born from those who daringly stand through fear.
Because it brings out what is within.

And what is within,
Thats your future.

Run from fear, only ends up running from yourself.
You said "overcome".
But fear can always be found.
Overcome your OBSTACLES absolutely, but PURSUE your fear.
For it is in risking yourself, being generous when all others close off,
That is the very essence of what it means to be human
To push our lives forwards
And to live
Unerring
And passionately

Overcome your APATHY, and fear is your ally
Pushing you to be the man you really are

Last edited:

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Good input although I do not agree with the fear part. Fear is something that you should be working on personally to overcome. It should not have a stronghold on your life.
Fear of losing business to competitors is what keeps me going. Fear of living on the street is why I pay my taxes/house payment. Fear of the police or a ticket is what keeps people driving the speed limit. Fear of bad consequences is what keeps me from making bad decisions.

Fear can be either good or bad. Fear that stops you from going forward in life can be bad. Fear that keeps you from walking out in front of a semi truck is a good thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.