The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Search Update April 21

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
If you don't follow this stuff, Google has announced on April 21st they will be making mobile abilities a higher ranking factor in search than before. http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2015/02/finding-more-mobile-friendly-search.html

You can test your site, and pages within your site at: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

If you have followed any of my threads you know we get over a million visitors a month via search so it is pretty important to me. So I also went to semrush.com and ran the free report on my site, on that report is a list of competitive sites that share similar keywords. I took that list and ran it through the test as well and 5 of the 10 sites were not mobile friendly at this point.

If SEO is part of your strategy, make sure you pass the test, otherwise it looks like you are going to be swimming upstream. Of course if you just like to spend money to get traffic and the idea of doing work for free traffic is horrifying, then just proceed as you have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
If you don't follow this stuff, Google has announced on April 21st they will be making mobile abilities a higher ranking factor in search than before. http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2015/02/finding-more-mobile-friendly-search.html

You can test your site, and pages within your site at: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/

If you have followed any of my threads you know we get over a million visitors a month via search so it is pretty important to me. So I also went to semrush.com and ran the free report on my site, on that report is a list of competitive sites that share similar keywords. I took that list and ran it through the test as well and 5 of the 10 sites were not mobile friendly at this point.

If SEO is part of your strategy, make sure you pass the test, otherwise it looks like you are going to be swimming upstream. Of course if you just like to spend money to get traffic and the idea of doing work for free traffic is horrifying, then just proceed as you have.

Do you have any recommendations for a wordpress plugin that will make a site mobile friendly?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I am in the process of selling my site that is heavily based on SEO.

After doing a test of my top competitors, about 4/10 are not mobile friendly. It could be possible this may boost my valuation in just a few weeks..

Maybe I should hold off the sale - but another part of me is saying that I don't know what ELSE may change rankings that they are NOT disclosing. What do you think @healthstatus ? Bird in the hand or the two in the bush? :)

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
My recommendation would be to find a responsive theme that you can use on your site. About 2/3rds of my big site is powered by Wordpress, and we switched over to a bootstrap based responsive theme last year. I don't have any experience with plugins that make your site mobile friendly, but there are some, but there is a lot more to it than just fitting on the screen, dynamic images that shown based on the viewing device, spacing of links and other touchpoints

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I don't know what ELSE may change rankings that they are NOT disclosing. What do you think @healthstatus ?
My site has handled all the Google changes well and is mature, if your site is the same, I would wait until the switch. My thinking at the moment is worst case I will be in the same spot, best case I may pick up another 20% in traffic by moving from #2-#5 in some high traffic keywords up at least one notch and maybe more.

Last edited by a moderator:

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I think the other thing this bears out is what is the next big thing? I think with things like Siri, the Amazon Echo, Google Voice, you have to start figuring out what the differences are between what users type into a search engine vs what they will say to a search engine. Then you will have to optimize your site to be read back to the user on some devices. I think another part of marketing is think about ways to get people to put into the search box what you rank for.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I have a website that is not mobile friendly while the 4 other competitors have mobile friendly sites!

So yeah I better move fast!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have a website that is not mobile friendly while the 4 other competitors have mobile friendly sites!

So yeah I better move fast!

I'll build you one for $10,000.

Supply & Demand FTW!

jmusic

Meep.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Mar 4, 2015
I find it silly that Google is doing this given that it's already trivial to tell what browser/platform users are operating on. Why screw with existing results for desktop users? [/rant]

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Why screw with existing results for desktop users?
PC desktop use has been on decline for 3 years now, and most people browse with multiple devices, so getting the same results regardless of the platform seems to make sense to Google, and there opinion is the only one that matters to anyone working on SEO.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It says awesome i'm mobile friendly. :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thanks. Just tested one of our BigCommerce templates with your test site, and it works. Thanks for the heads up.

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I'm not sure that's true. Source?

From the article that was linked to in the first post in this thread, which was the official post from Google....:

"Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide...."

It could be argued that no one should trust anything Google says, but I digress.... (coming from a jaded SEO.... :)

Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
So basically this means who cares then, as mobile searches for non friendly sites are crap anyway as the mobile users just bounce off the page

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
So basically this means who cares then, as mobile searches for non friendly sites are crap anyway as the mobile users just bounce off the page
In the last 30 days 62% of my traffic has been from mobile or tablets, if you can ignore that percentage of potential traffic, I would like to have a look at your business model.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
In the last 30 days 62% of my traffic has been from mobile or tablets, if you can ignore that percentage of potential traffic, I would like to have a look at your business model.
I totally agree that you absolutely need a mobile friendly website

But

If you dont have one, then this change is of no effect as any mobile traffic you may have had would have bounced anyway

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.